Wilson Benesch Vector Speakers

post your reviews of Cyrus kit here, and any other hifi components.
angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Wilson Benesch Vector Speakers

Postby angelface » Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 am

Yesterday I paid a visit to Enceintes&Musique in Paris to hear a pair of Wilson Benesch Vectors.

The system comprised a Hegel Mohican CDP acting as a transport into a Lampizator Amber 2 DAC (this has tubes in it but more of that later) into a Hegel H360 integrated amp into the Vectors using expensive Audioquest speaker cables.

The demo room is about 30 square metres but with a lowish ceiling (about 2m). There were no sound absorption panels but a thin carpet on the floor. The speakers were placed well away from the walls but there were plenty of other speakers behind the Vectors and along the walls.

My test tracks came from the following CDs

Coldplay Parachutes Tracks 1 and 5
Royal Blood (self titled) Tracks 8 and 10
London Grammar Truth is a Beautiful Thing Tracks 1 and 7
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Wilson Benesch Vector Speakers

Postby angelface » Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 am

I wanted to see if going from my current Arcs would be worth while. Firstly adding another bass driver would give me more bass and secondly if the newer tweeter and new Tactic II drives improved the sound.

I was worried that the extra bass driver would be too much bass in a small room. I could defintely hear the extra bass but it wasn't overwhelming. I certainly didn't feel the bass as much as I do with the Arcs which seemed strange but I was further from the speakers.

The Vectors seemed very smooth and clear. Track 1 from Parachutes was particularly impressive. Even Royal Blood seemed clear and not grating at all. London Grammar is perhaps not the best test track but the main vocal lost none of its clarity and vunerability.

I came away thinking that this might be my next purchase. Many thanks to the highly recommended shop for the demo. Do book in advance as the shop is small and tucked away down an ally.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 am

When I got home I relistened to the same traccks on my current system which is
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line) into BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator) into MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator) into 2xMonoX(Coherent 4D) into WB Arc. I also have 5 GIK acoustic panels at the moment.

The tracks seemed much more vibrant and real than the demo.

I put this down mainly to my DAC but the passive pre certainly doesn't get in the way. New my DAC was more expensive than the Lampizator and the sound seemed very different but perhaps this is the smoothing effect of the valve output stage.

Would the Vectors sound better than the Arcs in my system? I am sure they would.

Should I sell my current system and get Hegel/Lampizator system? No way!
Last edited by angelface on Fri May 03, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Fri May 03, 2019 11:26 am

angelface wrote:the sound seemed very different but perhaps this is the smoothing effect of the valve output stage.

Most likely. I understand the appeal of valves but not at the DAC stage.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Sun May 12, 2019 7:05 am

I swapped from Arcs to a second hand pair of Discovery’s a few years back not quite the same as the new Vectors but they were a huge upgrade. One of the best changes I have made to my system. They improved the sound in all areas but particularly the bass, which is tight and controlled.
Main
Gyrodec SE, Original Live Silver mk11, Lehmann Black Cube, Benz Micro Glider and Stream Xa, DACxp Sig/PSXR, mono x 300 sig, xt400, Wilson Benesch Discoverys

2nd
Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, Chord Cobra, PP10 passive, Quad 909, Atlas Hyper, PMC FB1

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:35 pm

shaneclare wrote:I swapped from Arcs to a second hand pair of Discovery’s a few years back not quite the same as the new Vectors but they were a huge upgrade. One of the best changes I have made to my system. They improved the sound in all areas but particularly the bass, which is tight and controlled.

How big is your room?

If the newer tweeter and Tactic II driver is better than those in Arc then I could get the Vertex's.
If adding an extra driver is better, I could get Curve (or Discovery of course).

Vector would of course add both.

Wilson Benesch have just announced P1, P2 and P3 which, I imagine, are even better..

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:30 pm

New precision series is on web site

http://wilson-benesch.com/p1-0/

The precision series have a composite wood structure rather than carbon fibre like the arcs or the geometry range so positioned between square and geometry ranges.

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:18 am

Angelface

Apologies for the slow response I have been on holiday.

The room is 9mx4m with the speakers facing across the shorter distance.

Regarding the Vectors, I had a listen to these and for some reason (not sure why now) I preferred the Discoverys.
Main
Gyrodec SE, Original Live Silver mk11, Lehmann Black Cube, Benz Micro Glider and Stream Xa, DACxp Sig/PSXR, mono x 300 sig, xt400, Wilson Benesch Discoverys

2nd
Musical Fidelity M1 Clic, Chord Cobra, PP10 passive, Quad 909, Atlas Hyper, PMC FB1

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:25 am

shaneclare wrote:The room is 9mx4m with the speakers facing across the shorter distance.

Regarding the Vectors, I had a listen to these and for some reason (not sure why now) I preferred the Discoverys.

Your room is 3 times the size of mine (3mx4m) so I expect that the extra bass of the Discoverys sounds nice. For me I expect that the bass would be boomy in such a small room.

shaneclare

Postby shaneclare » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 am

The person I bought the Discovery’s from had a similar size room to yours (perhaps a bit smaller).

I had a listen with my gear at his house before buying and they sounded fine in the environment.

The bass is deep on the Discoverys as you would expect from an isobaric speaker but it’s well controlled and given that it’s a stand mount you still have the subtlety.

I listen to all types of music ( particularily folk) and I never find the bass intrusive however it can kick out a fair punch with some heavy electronic music (Massive Attack or New Order for example)
Main

2nd

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:05 am

Rave review for Precision series

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/wilson ... cision-p10

I think they replace Square series rather than Geometry series