Repairs

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
border

Repairs

Postby border » Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 am

I was just looking at an 8VS2 for sale on EBay for spares or repair as the owner had crossed the speaker leads and caused a meltdown to his amp.
On contacting Cyrus they are allegedly said to have refused a repair to this model as they no longer support it and refused to help with parts and information to enable a third party to effect a repair.
I can quite understand that in this cut throat profit orientated world a company would find it difficult to hold spares for all of their past offerings,especially with the way Cyrus bring out revised models on such a regular basis,but I am surprised at their lack of ability or willingness to help this customer.
That is a hefty investment to have to throw in the bin and in my opinion shows a very poor customer service attitude from the manufacturers,which is not something that I have experienced in the past in my dealings with them.
If anyone knows of a damaged or redundant amp that this poor fellow could buy at a reasonable cost to cannibalise parts please let me know and I will let them know.
Here is a list of all of those that are no longer supported and those that are,interesting that they seem to have washed their hands of the troublesome SE cd players.
https://www.cyrusaudio.com/wp-content/u ... n-2019.pdf

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Repairs

Postby callen24 » Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 pm

it does seem odd, but they do support most amps the 3, 3i, and 8vs2 are rare exceptions.
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Tue May 28, 2019 5:47 pm

"No longer supported, repair might be possible in some markets" for the components in yellow, but no idea whether any of those markets might include the UK, even though that's almost certainly their biggest market. ???

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Wed May 29, 2019 6:22 am

I bought an 8vs2 exactly 10 years ago & if I still owned it (I've upgraded a couple of times since) I would be gutted to find that it could no longer be serviced or repaired. It makes no sense to me that Cyrus won't give advice to diyers or other repairers regarding devices they themselves no longer support. Seems pretty unreasonable to me but let's face it Cyrus does not have a great reputation for customer service. I think it's time somebody got a grip & made some changes rather than continuing to leave customers frustrated & disappointed. Hardly the precursors to brand loyalty.
I've not seen it mentioned anywhere but I've been told that from 30/06/19 QS will only be available as a special order with a lead time of 3 months & with a premium of £100 over black. I suppose that means QS will receive few orders from new buyers & only owners of existing QS systems will pay the price & wait the wait.

border

Postby border » Wed May 29, 2019 8:07 am

I can understand that older units will eventually be phased out but the part that surprised me most was that they had walked away from responsibility for the se series of cd players.These are not that old.
Personally I had a 6se an 8se andthe upgrade to 8se 2,all of them let me down and now owners with future problems will be left high and dry and on their own after paying a not insubstantial sum of money for their units.
They will be worth next to nothing on the second hand market once word gets around,not great customer service.
Over the years I have been through many of their products,dad3q24,cd7,cd7q,amps III,5,7,xpa,power,smartpower plus a couple of pre amps,mono`s and quattro`s without problems so presumably they have sold a great many excellent products in the past.
It is such a shame that something is going horribly wrong in terms of looking after a good customer base,it would appear that once again brand loyalty counts for nothing.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 am

I completely agree with that sentiment. I think Cyrus were preparing to wash their hands of the CDSE fiasco when they offered cut price upgrades in 2016. Presumably they hoped the offer would hoover up a lot of the defective machines & draw a line under the PR debacle. I've no doubt that there will be many SE machines remaining but the original considerable investment will not now be worth a row of beans. Sadly, Cyrus could have made a different decision but yet again they ignore the best interests of their customers. There is something very wrong at the core of Cyrus & they are too short-sighted to see it. It may yet come back to haunt them. Some dealers have already made their minds up.
On a brighter note, owners of defective units with QS cases may just find that the cases have a value... Would it be foolish to suggest that Cyrus could buy those cases back? Yep! Neither Pontius Pilate or Henry Ford would approve of that. FFS.

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed May 29, 2019 10:39 am

Sadly Cyrus have been heading that way for years. When I bought my first unit (an MR2, oddly) they were very helpful, serviced it (out of warranty) for under £50 and sold me parts because I like messing around (e.g. I once converted a III integrated into a Power for a while, using some parts that they provided). But in more recent years they have made things harder and harder for individuals.

They don't seem to acknowledge the environmental cost of forcing people to throw complicated things away because they refuse to supply schematics and service data, and I suspect that they are choosing to head in the wrong direction.

border

Postby border » Wed May 29, 2019 12:02 pm

In the past I have found them to be very helpful,I wonder why there has been such a change in attitude.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Wed May 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Would it be reasonable to assume that someone at Cyrus reads posts on CU? If they do then they obviously don't care sufficiently to do anything about poor relationships with present & the increasing number of past owners as they continue to make so many poor decisions which equate to two fingers to the lot of us. And if they don't read CU all of the above still applies! The result, unsurprisingly, is that customers desert the brand. Cyrus products whilst being far from the most expensive on the market are certainly not the cheapest & it would be nice to associate them with loyalty & pride of ownership but a continuing tide of negativity creates doubt & uncertainty instead.
I think any MD worth his salary would focus a great deal of time & energy on this problem instead of allowing it to drift on endlessly. I can only assume that considerations of the bottom line carry more weight with the company & dealing with the concerns of customers is too much of an inconvenience. Remember Gerald Ratner, he took customers for granted.
Such short-term thinking may yet prove very expensive.

Neil Ridiculous

Postby Neil Ridiculous » Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 pm

It's concerning that the apa mono blocks and the mono X have turned to yellow on the support chart. Compared to other units yellow/red, they still stand the test of time a lot better.

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Thu May 30, 2019 7:35 am

Richer Sounds still seem to be willing to sell you a 5 year guarantee (warranty?) on Cyrus kit, so I wonder if that's just a gamble or if they have better access to repair facilities. I'm guessing the former. :-\

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:51 am

Hello
Best guy in the market : Fidelity Audio : Brent
If it's possible , he'll do it
Cheers

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:04 pm

I agree, Brent is very good, his headphone amps & filters are excellent. He has told me in the past that he's not overly keen on upgrading Cyrus products because there is so little room in the case. It's always worth having a chat to him to see what he might be able to do. You will get an honest opinion & no BS.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:57 pm

Just had a very good repair service with lots of communication from bel canto service agents Loud and clear

impressive and reassuring
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

Talisker

Postby Talisker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:58 pm

This struck a chord with me as I had enquired to Cyrus a while back about a possible repair to an aca7.5 pre. There was a bit of a buzz on one channel. The solution offered was take it the 50 odd miles to a dealer who will send to Cyrus and the charge, as I recollect about £300. What!!!

Even though the model is obsolete they still hold onto the circuit diagrams that a third party could could use to ensure that the unit did not become another bit of landfill.

That really brought home just how detached Cyrus had become from the actual people who buy their stuff. This is in contrast to the dealers who I would suppose they are very keen to bulk sell to. What they don't get is that once customer brand loyalty is compromised it will rarely be re-established.

Many companies today really understand customer loyalty and that we are their future consumers (eg Richer Sounds, Osprey (backpacks), Montane, Paramo, John Lewis, Amazon and similar) and will do their utmost to ensure positive customer engagement. Cyrus lost that many years ago. I will no longer buy any Cyrus.

Oh and if you want a streamer software upgrade that's a dealer only possibility and the dealer can charge what they like, not Cyrus's problem.

So overall I agree entirely with Lancashirelad.