Original Cyrus One ,mission speakers

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Original Cyrus One ,mission speakers

Postby Ianmac » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:06 am

A nostalgia hit
Im setting up a small room with an 70/80's "hi fi" system
Ive just bought an original Cyrus One with the die cast chassis, Its in mint condition.
As ever Im looking for a service manual, anyone have one or know where?

I also want to buy a pair of large bookshelf size Mission speakers to match this amp.
Never owned or researched mission speakers any advice on what to look for would be appreciated
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Original Cyrus One ,mission speakers

Postby callen24 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:46 am

they are not usually avaiable cheaply, the 751.
but there are many - 700LE, the 760, 771, 772
many designed to work close to back wall

does it have to be mission?

i ask because i have some MORDANT SHORT in a box, i could just send you.

i used them with a cyrus 1, quite a forward sound as they have metal tweeters
just PM me
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Ianmac » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Im coming from the Mission / Cyrus association.
Sent you a PM
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

mojo

Postby mojo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:14 am

I reckon you should be looking for a pair of the original 78x series - maybe the 781 or even the 782, which IIRC had two bass drivers with the tweeter in between. They were very early 80's style, with graphics to match, though they don't seem to come up for sale very often.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:38 pm

I’m going to be interested in Ian’s feedback, once he has time to make a proper assessment
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

ozzric

Postby ozzric » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:43 am

If you are going for the Mission 78x range, look at the mid divers carefully. There is a known problem with the french made driver leaking ferrous fluid. You may not discover it without removing the driver to look around the magnet area, the fluid is capable of dissolving the copper!!

mojo

Postby mojo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:09 am

That's true of the second version of the 78x series - I have a 78C here in which both mid/bass drivers failed a few months ago. Annoying because I sold another 78C a short while ago which had replacement drivers, done while they cost less than £30 each from IAG. They are now £50 each - there is no way I'm going to pay £100 to fix it, so they are awaiting a different make of driver now.

But... the speakers I was referring to were the original 78x series - they did not use the French keraform drivers and they do not seem to suffer from any major problems (other than age, as they are getting pretty old now!).