Mac Mini as a Digital Media Hub Guide

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

RE: Mac Mini as a Digital Media Hub Guide

Postby SimonJ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:48 am

The point of the Mac Mini is not that it's the cleanest source but that it's incredibly convenient and draws all your storage, audio and visual media together. And I bet with a good modern DAC it sounds superb in any system.

Boy oh boy it sure does mate :)
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 am

I have not spent the time critically checking it out but overall I would say no not really and makes sense to me too. I would expect the streaming option to be better if anything and for sure it is when I am streaming studio master files :D
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Well decided to get an iPad when at Terminal 5 last weekend, what the hell hey!

This is a fantastic remote control device for my Mac Mini, Sonos, Itunes etc as stated in many threads. The instant on web access is superb and with the free new OS update in Nov adds many more useful features. So ok an expensive remote but is it really when you think what it can deliver. Some dedicated remotes for hi end hifi are far more expensive.

The BBC iplayer operation is also superb. Just a fantastic box of tricks ;)

Loving it :D

jamesg11

Postby jamesg11 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:55 am

Yep, this is my xmas present - iPad, + Mac Mini!
Simon, what IC are you going into Dac3 with? I've been trying to run through options other than optical or usb. This is where Weiss headed of course.
cawsey power cond+cawsey power leads/ interconnects> cdxtse>dacx+psxr/or macmini+hd>mytek dsd>naquadria v2 passive pre/active xover>2xnaquadria aeon+zpm (vert bi-amp)>(chord odyssey4 or cawsey bi-wire)>elac fs249 (active mod/chord odyssey rewire)

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 am

[quote="'jamesg11' pid='189955' dateline='1287968143'"]
Yep, this is my xmas present - iPad, + Mac Mini!
Simon, what IC are you going into Dac3 with? I've been trying to run through options other than optical or usb. This is where Weiss headed of course.
[/quote]

When I was using the optical nothing more than Maplins finest ;)

Now I am using the Hiface I just have a suitable impedenced match cable and does the job perfectly.

gubby

Postby gubby » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:22 pm

Just a post to say thanks for this Simon.

I think that this is the route I am going to take, after considering the Dell Zino and the Acer Revo.

I intend to get a Mac Mini and an ipad.

I have an inordinate amount of DVD box sets taking up too much space. The idea is to copy them to a 1 TB USB hard drive. Will I be able to connect this to the Mac Mini and control everything via the ipad?
Last edited by gubby on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rega Planar 3 - CD7Q & PSX-R - DACXPSig & PSX-R - Mono X - Mono X - Focal 1007be

realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Postby realoldfart » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 pm

[quote="'gubby' pid='190874' dateline='1288542135'"]

I think that this is the route I am going to take, after considering the Dell Zino and the Acer Revo.

I have an inordinate amount of DVD box sets taking up too much space. The idea is to copy them to a 1 TB USB hard drive. Will I be able to connect this to the Mac Mini and control everything via the ipad?

[/quote]

I would guess that you will be needing a lot more than 1TB.
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:52 pm

[quote="'gubby' pid='190874' dateline='1288542135'"]

[/quote]

You are welcome :) check out the PLEX app which I discuss on this thread as i use this for all my movies and SUPERB!! There is a free iPad app on iTunes and I use that too.

FYI PLEX is so good LG are integrating it into there new TVs and BD players next year.

If you try plex I feel you won't look back it is that good and free!

Hydrology

Postby Hydrology » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:44 am

Anybody using the Rowmote app with a Mac Mini? I was all set to buy the Plex app but as I use my Mini purely for both Plex and for HDPVR duties, I found Rowmote gave me great flexibility. Use as a mouse, or keyboard, or remote within the applications.
Very happy with it, but Ill probably buy the Plex app anyways!
My System - IMAGES

STEREO SETUP Pre XPd, 2 x 8 Power (Mono), CD8SE CD, XTZ 99.36 speakers, Apple TV (New model), Kuro C509 Plasma, XBox 360, Chord Co. Cables
BEDROOM SETUP Yamaha AS-2000, Cambridge DacMagic+, Cyrus DaD7, XTZ 99.25 speakers, AKG Q701

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Yes I use it and the Plex app and both are good. :)

bengal

Re: Mac Mini as a Digital Media Hub Guide

Postby bengal » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:58 pm

have to admit the imac which is what i use really is a class above anything windos orientated, especially love the remote controller on shuffle, which can dig out some really random tunes..
mac -  nos dacs, valve pre, 845 2a3 el84 300b horns

fizzgog

Help

Postby fizzgog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

Hi guys, I have bought the following cable to connect my mac mini to my dac xp.

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/1954/ixos-108-toslink-to-mini-toslink-1m-audio-interconnect-cable/display.html

However, I cannot get any sound out of my cyrus system. I have selected "digital out" as the sound output option on the mac mini and tried placing the optical into inputs 1&2 on the dac xp to no avail. I have tried playing iTunes and a video using vlc.

Am I missing something obvious or have I bought the wrong cable??
Thanks for any input...pete
mac mini - cdxtse - dac xp - psx r - 2x mono X - spendor a6

sdbowen

Re: Help

Postby sdbowen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:49 pm

[quote="fizzgog"]
Hi guys, I have bought the following cable to connect my mac mini to my dac xp.

However, I cannot get any sound out of my cyrus system. I have selected "digital out" as the sound output option on the mac mini and tried placing the optical into inputs 1&2 on the dac xp to no avail. I have tried playing iTunes and a video using vlc.

Am I missing something obvious or have I bought the wrong cable??
Thanks for any input...pete
[/quote]

Cable looks OK and I assume you connected the DAC XP before then going into the audio settings in the System.

The DAC XP should then be selectable as an output device and you should use that as the default for audio output.  Sometimes the default can still be set for your internal speakers - can you hear anything coming from the Mac Mini.  Then check the volume setting for the output device is not muted or down to very low.

Other than that you could look at the Midi Interface utility and see if there is anything that doesn't look quite right in that screen.

Thats pretty much what I did to connect my Mac Mini to my own DAC.
Main
dCS Paganini transport -> Siltech Firewire -> dCS Scarlatti DAC -> MIT Magnum MA -> Berning ZOTL Pre One -> MIT Magnum MA -> 2 x Berning Quadrature -> MIT Magnum MA -> B&W 800 Diamonds
Sonos -> dCS DAC
Flat
CD XT SE+ -> DAC XP+ -> Chord Sig -> 2 x Mono X -> Chord Sig -> B&W 804

fizzgog

Postby fizzgog » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for getting back to me, the only available outputs are panasonic tv and digi line out
I'm presuming that if everything is working ok then the digi line out would show up as cyrus dac xp?

I have sound through the analogue channel on the dac using an old iPod connection into the line out but obviously would prefer digi.

Nothing comes from the mac mini and everything plays fine through tv when that option is selected.
Thanks again
Pete
mac mini - cdxtse - dac xp - psx r - 2x mono X - spendor a6

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I wouldn't have expected the connection to show up as DAC-XP in the Preferences pane as I would have thought it only did this for USB connections. I would also have thought that digi line out was the correct output. As Steve said, go to the Audio Midi settings and check that the digi line out is selected in the Output tab.

BTW, this is also where you vary the output signal resolution. IIRC, the optical output can process up to 96khz, although don't take my word for this.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5