Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
linking pin

Postby linking pin » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:14 pm

After reading michaelr's post about his dad3 skipping I googled for some DIY guide on repairing cdplayers.

I came across a nice piece of work (imho) by S. Goldwasser with a lot of troubleshooting and repair tips, look at http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm

Also look at his main page at http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/

enjoy.....

jackchenson

Postby jackchenson » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:29 pm

Robert,

Any chance of adding the above as a sticky in the Tech section??

:)

linking pin

Postby linking pin » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:48 pm

hi Jack..

looking at the #-responses I guess not many 'unofficials' have problems with there players... ;)

RadioKFK

Postby RadioKFK » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:18 pm

I still do.

The CD6 is the most expensive CD I have ever owned and the only one that has ever gone wrong.

On the upside, I have had Cyrus amps for years (back then we used to call them Mission) and have never had a problem.

Watford

Postby Watford » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:38 pm

[quote="linking pin"]hi Jack..

looking at the #-responses I guess not many 'unofficials' have problems with there players... ;)[/quote]
I recall that from the CD7 onwards there have been loads of reports of problems with the CD players. Most were related to skipping (which my CD6 suffered from), but some players also failed to read discs. It's gone quiet in the last eighteen months or so, which probably means that Cyrus have addressed the problem. At the height of these problems, it was hard to have any faith in Cyrus CD players, and those that had the older models were happy to hang onto them.

linking pin

Postby linking pin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:59 pm

[quote="Watford"]I recall that from the CD7 onwards there have been loads of reports of problems with the CD players.[/quote]
a pity really that this should happen to players in this price range, one would expect flawless operation.

hopefully the document will be of use to some of the members with skipping problems...

shrink

Postby shrink » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 pm

well i'll be setting to work trying to repair the dad3 i just aquired for £70

if i can get it to work.. it'll have been a bargain and a half.

linking pin

Postby linking pin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:17 pm

[quote="shrink"]well i'll be setting to work trying to repair the dad3 i just aquired.....[/quote]
great...would like to know what the outcome is, I can imagine looking at the size of the boxes it will be difficult to locate/reach the parts of the player that needs repair/attention.....

shrink

Postby shrink » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:23 pm

well at the end of the day a phuilips CDM 12.4 is a philips CDM 12.4 no matter what size case its in its a standard transport mechanism.

so even if i can repair the one thats in there.. replacement shouldnt be too bad.

survey

Postby survey » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Watford - The problem may not have gone away! I have a new CD6 and that has just started skipping. It may have been the disc although it is a new disc and played for 6 or 7 times fine, then it started skipping on the same track and then suddently went from track 6 to 10. I cleaned the disc and replayed it twice without a problem. A coincidence?? I have never had a CD skip before on any other player - have I been lucky?? Never paid so much for a CD player either!

billyboy

Postby billyboy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:37 am

My dad3q had problems reading discs in the end would not read any so had to send it to cyrus for repair(over £100)never had any problems with cheaper cd players £200/300.when spending £750 i expect my cyrus player to be problem free.Had no other problems with any other cyrus kit so its strange its still a on going problem with newer kit this should have been sorted long ago.

Ashley James

Postby Ashley James » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:50 pm

The last transport we used was the VAM1202/19 and it wasn't as reliable as it's predecessor or a very nice part. We stopped making players about 18 months ago when Philips stopped making them and demand had all but disappeared as people either bought SB3s or Apple Computers instead.

I have to say that I shall be glad if I never see another CD player and I think much of the Industry would agree behind closed doors - they are simply not reliable.

Most mechs were designed for Computers where they give less trouble because they read at high speed. The problems in CD players are caused by the laser sled having to move too slowly, it gets sticky and then it won't read discs. However the laser is precariously attached by tiny threads I think they are, which are often damaged in transit so the machine doesn't work on arrival or fails prematurely. Static discharges or heat can also cause the laser to fail early.

All this means you might be lucky and get five years of use from one that is played regularly but not excessively or you might be unlucky and have a succession of failures. The last worry is spares. There may not be any in five years time as people buy downloads instead. We gave everyone who bought our last machines a spare transport, but the odds are that by the time they need them, they'll have to be stripped and re-greased to get them to read discs.

What is so sad is that in the early days of CDs there were some wonderful machines around, many are still working. The trouble was that expensive consumer electronics stopped selling in the latter part of the nineties and so all the effort went into reducing the cost of everything including mechs with inevitable sacrifices in reliability and longevity.

Ash

robespierre

Postby robespierre » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:10 pm

Hello,
I have bought 2 weeks ago a new cd 8 Se.
it has played 7 cds and now after 10 minutes the sound crackles only when the cd player reads the music but all the time exactly like an old vinyl disc!
If I take off the main power and take in, the crackling goes away and goes back after 5 minutes....
Of course,I have changed the cables,the input,the amplifier, the main cable..the cd....it's the cd payer which is out of order.

Best regards

shrink

Postby shrink » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:15 pm

time to take it back to the shop then huh... i wouldnt even try any kind of repair on a player that new.

robespierre

Postby robespierre » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:22 am

Hello,

The player has been bought in England....and i am french.....so, no warranty.
I am going to send it to the french importer.

Happy new year