Cyrus 3 PSX-R problems

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
RogerZwart

Cyrus 3 PSX-R problems

Postby RogerZwart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:51 am

Hello,

I'm a happy owner of a Cyrus 3. Now i've bought a PSX-R to upgrade the 3. I have followed the instructions on this forum (thanks for that) to modify my Cyrus 3 so it will accept the PSX-R. When flip the back switches both light turn red, in standby mode. When I activate the Cyrus 3 both lights on the devices turn green. So far so good. I have connected my speakers and a anolog source but no sound is coming from the speakers.

I have dubbel checked everything, without succes. Now I have re-modyfied the 3 back to original and it works fine again.

Did I do something wrong? Hope you guys can help me with this.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Roger

Without PSX-R:

With PSX-R:

Inside of the PSX-R:

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cyrus 3 PSX-R problems

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:57 pm

Check for and do number 4 if you havent already.

home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Thank you, I could not find something like it. Are those supposed to be there on a Cyrus 3?

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:19 pm

No, as it says "these are not fitted to all".
Given that both units power on successfully and you have green lights but no sound, check the connections again. i.e. make sure your source and your loudspeakers are connected correctly, and the correct source is selected as input.
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Robert wrote:No, as it says "these are not fitted to all".
Given that both units power on successfully and you have green lights but no sound, check the connections again. i.e. make sure your source and your loudspeakers are connected correctly, and the correct source is selected as input.

Thanks! Checked it all again. Going crazy here, haha

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Please upload a photo of the Iii back panel with everything connected. If that is proves to be correct, then not much more can be suggested over the internet, you'll need to get the units checked over by a suitable engineer.

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 am

You mean the back panel, not inside? I can make a picture tonight but I have connected everything right on the backpanel. Remember it's playing now again in the setting without PSX and everything works fine..

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:50 pm

I can only assume then that 1 or both of the items are faulty. Either the psxr is not functioning correctly, or the 3 amp does not function correctly in "psxr ready" mode. You'll need to get both checked by Cyrus themselves or a competent electronics engineer.

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Oke, thank you.

Can I try other variations with the colored cables without the chance I break something?

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Have you checked the plug on the PSX-R cable?

I had a dodgy connection and when I unscrewed the plug I could see one of the solders had broken.

I found an electronics shop in France and the guy resoldered it for me in return for finding our something on a website in English.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:22 pm

RogerZwart wrote:Oke, thank you.

Can I try other variations with the colored cables without the chance I break something?

Swapping over the 2 pairs of cables is the only thing to be done (aside from the jumpers which your model doesnt have). I wouldnt experiment with these connectors in other configurations.
I note your toroidal psu is marked with a date of October 2015, which suggests a repair / service has been made, what else was done at the same time?

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:31 pm

Robert wrote:
RogerZwart wrote:Oke, thank you.

Swapping over the 2 pairs of cables is the only thing to be done (aside from the jumpers which your model doesnt have). I wouldnt experiment with these connectors in other configurations.
I note your toroidal psu is marked with a date of October 2015, which suggests a repair / service has been made, what else was done at the same time?

I have to ask the seller. Could that be the issue?

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:58 pm

angelface wrote:Have you checked the plug on the PSX-R cable?

I had a dodgy connection and when I unscrewed the plug I could see one of the solders had broken.

I found an electronics shop in France and the guy resoldered it for me in return for finding our something on a website in English.

PSX-R plug seems fine. I do have an unattached yellow wire at the PSX-R connection inside the amp. You can see it in the picture:

mojo

Postby mojo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:55 pm

If the cable that runs from the main circuit board to the PSX-R socket has six cores, this is normal - normally only five wires are present, so presumably someone has replaced this cable at some point in the past. Can you determine whether the other end of the yellow cable is connected to anything?

RogerZwart

Postby RogerZwart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:08 pm

mojo wrote:If the cable that runs from the main circuit board to the PSX-R socket has six cores, this is normal - normally only five wires are present, so presumably someone has replaced this cable at some point in the past. Can you determine whether the other end of the yellow cable is connected to anything?

Oke thanks. It seems not connected to anything..