Stylus alignment on the cheap

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
broowin

Stylus alignment on the cheap

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:27 am

Whilst browsing idly I stumbled on a the Koetsu range of cartridges and day dreamed about the ability to afford £10k on a cartridge which then started me thinking about cartridge alignment something I have never done in 40 + years and thinking maybe it was about time I tried it having recently reactivated my deck.
I looked at the Ortofon simple tool which I could buy for about a tenner but browsing through google images to see how :) it worked, found one which appeared to print out 'life size', so I did, carefully cut a hole to fit the spindle and used it on to realign the overhang on my cartridge. Well it seems to have worked. Although I did not do a direct comparison I am convinced it has improved the sound and saved me a tenner! ( If anybody has got an Ortofon Stylus protractor perhaps they might print out the google image and check if it is the same ??)

Next I tried some coffee scales to see if it would measure the stylus weigh but to no avail. Anybody got any suggestions to avoid paying the tenner to get a stylus scale? This will go towards the £10k for the Koetsu

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Stylus alignment on the cheap

Postby crimsondonkey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:56 am

So let me get this straight, you want to lash out £10k on a Koetsu cartridge but don't want to pay £10 for a stylus tracking weight gauge? :)

Cant go wrong with one of these to be honest -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHURE-SFG2-DJ-accessories-Vinyle/dp/B00006I5SD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498643607&sr=8-1&keywords=shure+gauge

No batteries, no calibration, very accurate.

Also whilst you lust after a Koetsu cartridge have you ever heard one? They have a quite specific signature which is you like that sort of thing is quite a thing. There are cheaper second hand ways of achieving a similar sound too.

broowin

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:02 am

Good point but Im actually quite happy with my humble Goldring even more now it seems to be aligned .

I couldn't possibly spend £10k on a cartridge and remained married!

£32 - for scales?

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:10 am

You'll spend that on a decent budget electronic stylus gauge and to be honest I'm always more confident with the balance scale.

When I bought mine (a few years back) it was about £15. You should find one cheaper than £32 though. In my experience VTF has just as much influence on the sound as alignment (which is important but relatively easy to get right). I've played with a number of carts and 0.1g plus or minus can really change the sound on some carts (typically low output MC's)

broowin

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:41 pm

OK - may be worth the investment.

thanks

broowin

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:19 pm

Just ordered an Ortofon stylus balance of ebay for 6.99 so saved £3 - result

broowin

Postby broowin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:35 pm