Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
broowin
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: Southampton

Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby broowin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:59 pm

I have just tried to listen to the Record deck through the headphone amp and headphones but no sound is coming out??

I can hear perfectly well the inputs from CD and streamer.

the phono amp is connected to no 14 on the DAC XP.

before I go changing cables and fiddling about can anyone spot anything obviously wrong?
DAC XP Sig +PSXR2 , CD Xt Sig , Streamx Sig, Stereo 200 ,
Thorens TD 160 plus Goldring 1042 - Assorted cabling,
Boenicke W8 speakers
Audeze LCD 3 Headphones
Erzetich bacillus hp amp
Croft Vitale used as phono amp

User avatar
Joe
Hero Member
Hero Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby Joe » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:35 pm

There's no analogue pass through. The fixed out is connected to the DAC.
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Twenty 26.

broowin
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby broowin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 pm

Is there a fix for this?
DAC XP Sig +PSXR2 , CD Xt Sig , Streamx Sig, Stereo 200 ,
Thorens TD 160 plus Goldring 1042 - Assorted cabling,
Boenicke W8 speakers
Audeze LCD 3 Headphones
Erzetich bacillus hp amp
Croft Vitale used as phono amp

User avatar
billyray
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 1478
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 am
Location: Feet on the ground head in the clouds
Contact:

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby billyray » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:38 pm

No one has solved it without the use of an external headphone amplifier as far as I am aware.

Sorry - know that is disappointing. But just think of all the fun you can have auditioning headphone amps!!

mrcyrus
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:44 am
Location: London

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby mrcyrus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:45 am

billyray wrote:No one has solved it without the use of an external headphone amplifier as far as I am aware.

Sorry - know that is disappointing. But just think of all the fun you can have auditioning headphone amps!!


Looking for something similar to attach to my DAC XP Signature - I imagine there are plenty of posts relating to headphone amps, but wondered if there are any recommendations to go with the performance of the DAC XP (currently have Grado 425i although a bit too open for my wife's liking).

Rich

broowin
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby broowin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:52 am

I must admit I was a bit confused about this since I have a headphone amp I am still not sure how I get to listen to the record deck via the DAC XP?
DAC XP Sig +PSXR2 , CD Xt Sig , Streamx Sig, Stereo 200 ,
Thorens TD 160 plus Goldring 1042 - Assorted cabling,
Boenicke W8 speakers
Audeze LCD 3 Headphones
Erzetich bacillus hp amp
Croft Vitale used as phono amp

mrcyrus
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:44 am
Location: London

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby mrcyrus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am

broowin wrote:I must admit I was a bit confused about this since I have a headphone amp I am still not sure how I get to listen to the record deck via the DAC XP?


Are you connecting your headphone amp to the fixed output RCA connectors or one of the pre-out pair of RCA connectors?
From reading the thread, it looks as though the fixed out is not connected to the analogue inputs on the DACXP, only the digital sources. Therefore, you'd have to connect the headphone amp to one of the pre-out RCA (or XLR) pairs and turn up the "volume" on the DACXP to raise the output level (with your power amplifier(s) off otherwise you'd also hear the sound through your speakers of course)..

Does that make sense?

mrcyrus
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:44 am
Location: London

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby mrcyrus » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am

mrcyrus wrote:
broowin wrote:I must admit I was a bit confused about this since I have a headphone amp I am still not sure how I get to listen to the record deck via the DAC XP?


Are you connecting your headphone amp to the fixed output RCA connectors or one of the pre-out pair of RCA connectors?
From reading the thread, it looks as though the fixed out is not connected to the analogue inputs on the DACXP, only the digital sources. Therefore, you'd have to connect the headphone amp to one of the pre-out RCA (or XLR) pairs and turn up the "volume" on the DACXP to raise the output level (with your power amplifier(s) off otherwise you'd also hear the sound through your speakers of course)..

Does that make sense?


Alternatively, you could connect the output from your phono stage directly to the input of your headphone amp - but you'd obviously then have to unplug the phono stage each time you swapped between listening on headphones vs through your speakers.

User avatar
billyray
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 1478
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 am
Location: Feet on the ground head in the clouds
Contact:

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby billyray » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Must admit when I had a DAC XP I committed the sin of connecting a splitter to phono amp and then to both H/P amp and DAC XP.

broowin
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby broowin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 pm

The connections I have made are.
Deck to input of the Croft preamp.
Main out from the pre amp to the analogue input 8 on DAC xp, No 14 in the manual.
Headphone amp is connected to the fixed output on DAC XP, no 2 in the manual.....
Last edited by broowin on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAC XP Sig +PSXR2 , CD Xt Sig , Streamx Sig, Stereo 200 ,
Thorens TD 160 plus Goldring 1042 - Assorted cabling,
Boenicke W8 speakers
Audeze LCD 3 Headphones
Erzetich bacillus hp amp
Croft Vitale used as phono amp

operaman
Addicted
Addicted
Posts: 1244
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:06 pm
Location: North Hertfordshire

Re: Headphone connection to phono on DAC XP - help

Postby operaman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:42 pm

I bought a Beresford TC7240 switch intending to get round this problem. It's got four inputs and outputs to two amplifiers i.e. one for the headphone amp and one for DACXP.
CDXTSig, Stream X Signature, FM-X / PSX-R, Pure i20, Sonos Connect -> DAC XP Sig / PSX-R2 -> 2x Mono X300 Signature -> Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand, Sugden HA-4 + Sennheiser HD800
Thorens TD160 -> Rega Fono Mini -> DAC XP Sig / PSX-R2 , 2x Mono X -> Celestion Ditton 442; 8XPdQx/PSX-R2->