Minimal machine to run JRiver? Having a re-think.

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
Coda II

Minimal machine to run JRiver? Having a re-think.

Postby Coda II » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am

For the past 3 ish years I have been running a windows/NUC box headless as a music server. It has Jriver installed and has been controlled by JRemote. Files are on a USB drive.

Having had a change around and partly because the NUC would be put to better use with a screen running some other useful bits and pieces I now need something else to plug into the DAC to get tunes to play.

I had a bit of a play with Chromecast but that doesn't work with JRemote on the iPad (yes I know there are ways of getting it to work by installing additional DLNA stuff on the server) and I'm not convinced I liked having in the system anyway.

Then realised the Ipad would connect directly to the DAC using its camera adaptor. Still pulls the files off the NUC as a server and I guess there must be some transcoding going on as it's going from FLAC on a win10 box wirelessly to the iPad then USB to the DAC.

Anyway, it's been a few years so I wanted to have another look at what the most basic machine I could attach to the DAC would be. My preference is to have a wired connection between storage/server/DAC and to stay with JRiver. The obvious choice would be another NUC but running linux - not an OS I have experience with but to just run JRiver should be fine?

So are there other options I should be looking?

mojo

Re: Minimal machine to run JRiver? Having a re-think.

Postby mojo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:40 pm

It's a bit difficult to know, as it depends what's important to you - for example low cost or small size.

One thing's for sure - if you're running it headless, you won't need anything massive in terms of CPU, even if it's doing transcoding (different matter for video, but with audio it's not hard).

Personally I would go with another NUC, because installing Linux tends to be dead easy on an all-Intel platform. That's not to sya that I've found it hard on any other chipset combination, but you tend to find that the Intel chipset code is shipped within a typical distro.

In terms of cost, you can often find really good prices on the NUC "clones" from the lesser manufacturers such as Gigabyte. I've had a BRIX before and I'm pretty sure they just use the same board as a NUC with a different outer shell.

My personal preference is to get one with optical out, and run that directly to the DAC, because I've never seen any point in adding the extra complexity of USB into the mix - but that's just my opinion. If you plan to go that way and aren't aware, Intel dropped optical out on their mid-range NUCs a couple of years ago, but on the latest generation they have put it back.

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:54 pm

My NUC didn't have optical which I (mistakenly as it turned out) thought would be fine as DACs were all going USB at the time. It turned out to be far more of an issue getting USB to work to my satisfaction than it should have been so getting back to S/PDIF would be no bad thing.
I'm actually thinking Pi with a HiFiBerry Digi+ board at the moment. Stick with JRMC but on about as minimal as it gets for hardware.

zippy

Postby zippy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:01 pm

I ran my system as a test off a very cheap Android tablet, using a Soundblaster E5 external sound card and its direct optical output to my DAC. I used Bubble UPnP as the controller but maybe JRiver will work too ?
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Like this?
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... 807.0.html
Certainly a raspberry pi is about as cheap as it gets.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Yes exactly that Robert, ordered one earlier.

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:49 am

zippy wrote:I ran my system as a test off a very cheap Android tablet, using a Soundblaster E5 external sound card and its direct optical output to my DAC. I used Bubble UPnP as the controller but maybe JRiver will work too ?

I'd forgotten 'till you posted this, but I did use an external soundcard with optical out and it worked well, only stopped using it because there were no longer new drivers for it.

The issue I have with doing that now with a tablet is that it would still need to pull the music files from a server and that would be wirelessly (I think) - I'd rather have all wired connections (with the exception of a remote).

zippy

Postby zippy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Coda II wrote:
zippy wrote:I ran my system as a test off a very cheap Android tablet, using a Soundblaster E5 external sound card and its direct optical output to my DAC. I used Bubble UPnP as the controller but maybe JRiver will work too ?

I'd forgotten 'till you posted this, but I did use an external soundcard with optical out and it worked well, only stopped using it because there were no longer new drivers for it.

The issue I have with doing that now with a tablet is that it would still need to pull the music files from a server and that would be wirelessly (I think) - I'd rather have all wired connections (with the exception of a remote).

I used a server, but even cheap tablets usually have an SD card slot so you could copy your music onto a card ?
I think you're missing out by using an 'old-fashioned' remote rather than a more sophisticated device like a tablet! ;)
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 pm

zippy wrote:
Coda II wrote:

I used a server, but even cheap tablets usually have an SD card slot so you could copy your music onto a card ?
I think you're missing out by using an 'old-fashioned' remote rather than a more sophisticated device like a tablet! ;)

Last check there was around 180 GB of music (as FLAC), and neither my android or iOS tablets have SD slots. Other than that, sounds fine.
I did use an SD card player for some years. Not the easiest menus to navigate, would only take cards up to 16GB and was WAV only. But sound quality is probably the best digital replay I have had.

robt2379
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby robt2379 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:24 pm

How about the other options supplied by JRiver?

They do a preloaded Pi and other options at various prices.

https://jriver.com/Id/

Return to “Technical Queries”