Sound nearly gone from DAC XP Sig

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
IanB
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Sound nearly gone from DAC XP Sig

Postby IanB » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi
The sound has virtually disappeared from my DAC XP dig.
I can only hear music slightly now if I turn volume pretty well to full ( which I do not want to do obviously ).
This occurs with all inputs - CD, streamer, and phono.
I have checked all connections and done the old switch off at wall to reset routine.
Anyone else experienced this?
Thanks
Ian

blitzpear

Re: Sound nearly gone from DAC XP Sig

Postby blitzpear » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Not sure how your setup works but it may be worth checking if the output to power amps from preamp has got itself in a knot. If - for example - you have the preamp set to xlr but only have rca connections, then you will not get any sound other than a little bleed at max volume.
You may have to look at the manual to see if xlr versus rca is selectable.

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:36 pm

There will be a way to do a factory reset but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 pm

Mine has done this a couple of times. Factory reset fixed it both times. From the manual.

"You can also restore all configuration options to the initial default settings that were applied at the factory. NOTE: This operation is not reversible. To restore factory settings, disconnect mains power from the unit. Now reconnect mains power while holding down the Standby key."
-

IanB
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby IanB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately the factory reset has not worked :( time for a call to Cyrus I think, and maybe I will need to send it the amplifier hospital...

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:46 am

How old was your DACXP Sig ?

I have one and am now wondering if mine will suffer the same problem at some future time,

I presume yours is out of warranty.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 am

This is a worry as mine did this last night for about 30 seconds, then resumed normal volume. ???

When I moved my system the other month I had another odd issue when it was first reconnected, whereby when I changed the volume it dropped the signal to a very low level (almost inaudible), and then resumed the normal volume after a few seconds. A couple of power cycles resolved the issue, but it is most certainly a concern.

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Ian B, any update, have you spoken with Cyrus?

I went to listen today and the annoying mute while changing the volume happened. I tried powering it on and off but it didn't fix it. Now tonight I've lost about 50% of the volume, max (0db) is comfortable listening :(

I tried the factory reset to no avail :(

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Wow, just checked the Cyrus site £300 flat fee for a repair! Pretty disappointing on a 2.5 year old bit of kit :'(

Joe

Postby Joe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 pm

They changed the warranty period to 5 years shortly after you purchased yours so I'd get on to them and see if they can bend the rules.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 am

Thanks Joe,

Just to update this thread, the DAC XP has been returned to Cyrus for a half price repair which I think is fair as it is 6 months out of warranty, however I'm very disappointed that it broke in the first place. I think this is the first bit of kit that I've had go wrong, apart from a bulb behind the display in my Audiolab CD player.

Anyone know how long these things usually take? I forgot to ask the dealer.

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:32 pm

mr_yogi wrote:Wow, just checked the Cyrus site £300 flat fee for a repair! Pretty disappointing on a 2.5 year old bit of kit :'(

Personally I don't think that's reasonable given how much it cost originally, and I doubt that any expert on electronic equipment reliability would either. I would have ignored the warranty and sort redress (against the seller, not Cyrus) under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:04 pm

mr_yogi wrote:Thanks Joe,

Just to update this thread, the DAC XP has been returned to Cyrus for a half price repair which I think is fair as it is 6 months out of warranty, however I'm very disappointed that it broke in the first place. I think this is the first bit of kit that I've had go wrong, apart from a bulb behind the display in my Audiolab CD player.

Anyone know how long these things usually take? I forgot to ask the dealer.

You need to ask Cyrus Chris on the Cyrus forum how long it will be - they can sometimes take quite a while if they're busy.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

IanB
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby IanB » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:49 pm

So my amp went back to Cyrus via Richer Sounds and I received it back today after 10 days and £250 lighter! All fixed. Service reports says power failure fault. Nice to have back up and running!