NMR Network Media Renderer

post questions / problems regarding Cyrus kit here, or any other queries of a tech nature.
Ianmac

Re: NMR Network Media Renderer

Postby Ianmac » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:04 pm

I am not experiencing any issues at all,no drop out and running a lot of 24/96.
I have Jriver and my music on my NAS running 24hrs7 days. Jriver is set to use the NRM via my local network.
I switch on the NMR, control via an old ipad and away I go.
When doing comparisons with my CAPS3 volume levels closely matched the NMR
Im wondering why a 24/88 file is showing up as 16/44 on your DAC ? I thought in media network mode Jriver did not alter the music file in any way ?
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Have you checked the output settings in JRiver tools>options?
ARC cd5>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>PrimaLuna Prologue7s>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  I/cs-Townshend F1 fractal; DCT 300; Isolda. Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>usb>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>PL Dialogue Pre etc. Townshend dct 300.

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Yes. But will recheck now. My mrs has gone out so I am having a good listen / play around. Am planning to switch back to the SBT to verify.
Don't get me wrong gents I believe its me doing something wrong; I just can't see anything wrong.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm

J river >tools>options>>media network>>tick use media network to share library and enable DNLA.
Also on J remote > settings - goto bottom of the the screen ensure - enable transcoding is off.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:31 pm

It was enabled and working, but there is a further section; where you can set the output to original which has solved the issue. IGuessing that was the transcoding you refered too. It seems to have also sorted out the volume issue as well. All good.

Got my head around how it sounds compared to the SBT and cd player. Working whether to pick up a RPI and do a review of the lower cost streamer/renderers. Need to speak to Maro and see how quickly he wants the NMR back. Regardless the NMR is a decent sounding bit of kit.

Currently listening to DAFT PUNK's Random Access Memories (Studio Master) and I am blown away by the detail retrieval. Pushing way into the red on the volume dial with Motherboard and the last 2 minutes is making the room move; great finish. Thought my speakers were going to explode.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello Caine
Hope that you are enjoying the NMR
Ideally , I have some friends in France waiting for a testing
Just tell me how long would you need ..
By the way , sonically it's above the Aries femto , and below the U1
I believe that the Melco N1A sounds better , but not in the same range
For 600 pounds (PSU made by yourself) .. no beater
Then it's a question of taste , and funds available
feel free to text
Cheers

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Good you have got Jriver and the NMR working together.
Im pleased your initial reaction to SQ is positive.
I hope you find after full listening tests that all the hassle has been worthwhile.

Ive finished my second NMR Case and power supply, will be ordering my second board next week.
Sytem 1.
System 2
IMF's

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:05 pm

Ian, are you going the co-ax route or USB ?

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 pm

Im going with the NMR using the SPDIF output so using coax.
I2S is not an option for me and would only be practical if the NMR board was very close to a DAC board with I2S input.
My CAPs 3 is async USB and to my ears it is not as good as the NMR. I have not tried any other async USB gear and I would fear quite a high capital outlay to match or better what Im getting from the NMR.

If you take a look at the NMR the 75ohm coax output from the board is from a Mini SMB connector using RG179 cable.
I used a right angle SMB to get the case height down and went SMB to BNC using an isolated from chassis BNC to BNC through the rear panel then BNC to 75 Ohm RCA for my DAC.
Id post some photos but am hitting problems with the sites Ive used previously to store photos wanting cash for their old free service.
(anyone have a solution to this)
Sytem 1.
System 2
IMF's

STodd
Addicted
Addicted

Postby STodd » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:50 am

Ianmac wrote:...
Id post some photos but am hitting problems with the sites Ive used previously to store photos wanting cash for their old free service.
(anyone have a solution to this)

Ian, give imgur a shot - I switched to them and they have been quite good:

https://imgur.com/
MMStreamer (Teddy12/4) ► DAC X Sig/PSX-R || Rega P3-24 (Dino & Dino+)
MFA Classic Copper ► Mono X ► PMC GB1i
Cables: ML Binary Star, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA | Chord Epic / ST
AG500 Mains Regen | http://www.last.fm/user/stetod

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Tried Imgur -- eventually cracked it.--Thanks for the Link.

The top photo shows the innards of my prototype with NMR card fitted
The second shows the case on end.
Its a Hammond case and not too user friendly. Its difficult to use the case as a heatsink due to the ribbed inner walls - but metal cases are hard to get these days.
I intend to do a rebuild in a home made case to match the exact size of my Benchmark DAC. Ive found and old transformer that will fit into the 1u (1.75") height of the half rack size (8")benchmark dac
ImageandImage
Sytem 1.
System 2
IMF's

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Looks great Ian.

A curve ball if I may. Was buggering around with DS Audio (Synology's Audio Server for Mobile/Pads). Anyhow noticed that the renderer showed up on the remotes and decided to play on the renderer. Ran down stairs and switched on the rest of the gear and no problems. Sounds decent enough and not to far off Jriver; straight from the NAS (amplifiers were cold though). Further the DS Audio is very simple audio server and does nothing to the output of the music unless you play with settings.

An interesting find. Another plus for the renderer. Sadly the NMR is heading back to its owner. Got a ROPIEEE on route to play with.