Boenicke W11

post your reviews of Cyrus kit here, and any other hifi components.
RichardLowe

Boenicke W11

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks to a recent thread by Broowin (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31120&p=356199&hilit=Boenicke+Audio#p356199), I found myself getting in touch with Elite Audio to arrange a demo of the Boenicke W11's. And today they arrived. One word sums them up nicely so far - astonishing. Looking forward to having them in the house for the 30 day demo (or they may stay longer...).

Thanks to everyone at Elite Audio for making this happen so easily. Great people. And thanks to Broowin for pointing out this brand, and how good they are.

I'll write more, but for now just enjoying going through my music library yet again, finding every track has a life and musicality beyond what I've heard before.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > boenicke w11

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Boenicke W11

Postby callen24 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm

will you get a Fact 12 home demo before you make any sort of decision
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:35 pm

I heard the Fact 12's in Edinburgh and loved them, and the offer of a demo is there, so I may well.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > boenicke w11

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:01 am

thanks for pics , saw the baby one at scalford where elite were showing . had a chat with them and its a cracking little speaker . the small one really filled the room so I can imagine the w11 is something special and high waf factor I imagine
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 am

looking at the range, the choice of a w11 is interesting. did he offer an 8se or 8 se+ as well. price difference between varieties is large
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:05 pm

What a beautiful looking speaker.
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Twenty 26.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Joe wrote:What a beautiful looking speaker.

i think they look better in the flesh.
like hifinut, i saw them at the piefi show.
i was not impressed by the sound, but that counts for nothing, some of the rooms at scalford don't let you judge electronics and speakers.
They showed them with cables the size of a 10p coin

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:50 pm

Chris, I could have demo'ed any in the range, including the SE+ models. I chose the W11 as I'm a bass-head, and enjoy the dynamic scale that only larger speakers can give. A W8 SE+ is a heavily tweaked W8, but ultimately uses the same enclosure and drivers, so would also be "limited" in its bass response. I decided to demo the W11 instead, with the swing-base stand.

Joe, they are beautiful. They take solid planks of the wood whose finish you want, in my case cherry, then sandwich them together to make a solid block of half a speaker size. Computer controlled milling then cuts out the required chambers and ports, and the two halves bonded together. Then the drivers, cabling, etc., are fitted as normal. A very unusual approach, possibly unique. They say that each wood type, cherry, oak, etc., has a slightly different sound signature as they're made from solid wood. The wood in the examples I have is lovely.

Phil, regarding WAF factor you're absolutely right. My wife was immediately taken with them for the look alone. However, I sat for the best part of an hour, unable to play any of my own music, as she hijacked the remote. She had something akin to an epiphany, as she couldn't believe the detail, musicality, and richness she was hearing in tracks she knows and loves so well.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:59 pm

so did you consider the w13 then? O0

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:01 pm

I would love to hear the W13`s Chris, but they are significantly bigger, and significantly more expensive. My listening room wouldn't cope I fear, and my bank manager would be "having words". That said, I'm in Elie just now, a seaside village 5 minutes drive from Elite Audio's shop, and I did say I might pop in...

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:13 pm

well , with all the hi fi shows this year , hopefully i will get to hear a pair of the w11 .

nice vid here

https://youtu.be/VURueHZXY5o
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:50 am

I managed a quick visit to Elite Audio's new showroom yesterday. It's not officially open yet but it will be quite a place when finished. The custom built listening room is finished and its very good. A huge amount of room treatment has gone into its design, and the beautifully quiet ambient sound within makes a great space to demo your kit of choice in.

I was just saying hello to Mark and giving him some feedback on the limited time I had with the W11's on Tuesday. He's a real gent and took time out to indulge my hifi questions!

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:45 pm

this explains the idea behind the swing stand

https://youtu.be/ik5R8Rhrkis
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

David H

Postby David H » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Richard,
1) How is it going now? Still love them?
2) Does the front bearing principle work well on carpet? I assume the cup is fairly wide.
3) What size is your listening room?
4) How do they compare to the Audiovectors?
Cheers, David

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:48 pm

David,

Yes, still loving them thank you. I'm still playing around with positioning and toe-in, then add to that the bass setting jumper that has 5 settings, from -2 through to +2. A lot of variables and haven't fully worked my way through them all. The service from Boenicke has been excellent - I got in touch via their Facebook page to ask a technical question about impedance dropping with the bass set at +2, just to make sure I wasn't going to blow the output fuse on the amp. I got a reply from Sven Boenicke himself at 9:21pm. There followed an email exchange and from the pictures I'd taken he immediately spotted the speakers weren't "floating" as much as they should be at the front. For now I've placed a small granite coaster under each metal cup at the front. Now the speakers truly float - if you give them a nudge they swing. Its a bit disconcerting but the difference in transmission of vibration through the floor is amazing. My VA's use spikes and I had distinct bass nodes in the room. The W11's produce none. They make the same swing-base isolation for racks and other components too - http://www.boenicke-audio.ch/SWING_BASE.pdf. Having heard the effect it has on speakers I imagine they will sell a lot of these.

My room isn't huge, its approximately 4.5 m x 4.25 m with the speakers and listening position across the shorter of the two. The speakers fill the room with sound but don't overwhelm at any frequency, it is beautifully balanced. Because of the side-firing woofer they are narrow at the front, so the dispersion of sound from the mid and tweeter gives that feeling of the speakers disappearing, and the sound seems to come from a soundstage wider than the speakers are apart. The front tweeter and mid/bass reveal more detail and clarity than I've ever heard (including from a PMC Fact.12), plus there is an "ambient tweeter" at the rear that produces particularly sweet highs. The combination of all of the above makes for an enthralling listen. I haven't found a musical genre they don't excel at.

One of the biggest recommendations I can give is the fact my wife hijacked the remote on the day they arrived and played her own music for over an hour before I got a look-in. She simply couldn't believe that the tracks she was playing were the same ones she's used to. She's experienced several of my hifi upgrades and would made comments that it sounds better, but this time around there were raised eyebrows, smiles, and an iron grip on the remote as she queued up track after track.