schiit saga

post your reviews of Cyrus kit here, and any other hifi components.
hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

schiit saga

Postby hifinutt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:09 pm

new pre amp arrived today , fascinating little pre which can be passive or active with valve . very good vfm at 360 new

ImageeLFjmVv by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

will keep you posted how it sounds
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Re: schiit saga

Postby SteveC » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 pm

hifinutt wrote:new pre amp arrived today , fascinating little pre which can be passive or active with valve . very good vfm at 360 new

ImageeLFjmVv by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

will keep you posted how it sounds

How are you going to use it?
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Linn K20 speaker cable, Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:11 pm

yes i have been using the little velleman valve pre which is super . its not the last word in dynamics but for 120 quid its good . i do love sniffing out these hi fi bargains as there is so much expensive stuff out there that simply is crazy

the schiit is a passive i have never tried but i do lean towards the valve pre these days . first thing i noticed was a smoother top end than the velleman . the ta`us are in a very live room and sound , well just incredible really . not too long ago i had the opportunity to hear the magico A3 premiered in London and i am pretty sure these RFC modded impulse ta`us could give that speaker a run for the money

not used the saga much yet but for the money its a cracker , one thing i note is i do have to turn the vol knob past 12 oclock to get a good sound
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm

Had Schitt stuff in the past. Like Nord, punch way above there price ( How do they do that?) Enjoy!

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:08 pm

yes nord is on the list to try but in the meantime the saga is extremely transparent without being fatiguing . some good slam and dynamics . it is not as versatile as my pre 3 which saves volume for every input and has 200 db steps

and i love how they describe their stuff in the manual

Yes, this preamp comes with a remote control. And yes, it’s a
relatively simple plastic affair. Yeah, we know you want milled
aluminum, but you also probably don’t want to spend a fortune
on a remote control either. This remote is inexpensive enough
that if your dog eats it, you can get another one without any
financial stress.
:)
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:16 am

And they now make a very nice small aluminium remote. It’s basic but is pretty cheap. I have one for my Freya pre-amp.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:20 pm

very nice , be interesting to compare the 2 pre amps . certainly the saga is making compelling listening with the horns
probably one of the best systems i have had so far .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:53 pm

july the 9th and the saga is running very nicely , only thing to note is i have to have the vol knob up fairly high at 1 or 2 o.clock
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:54 am

been exceeding impressed by this pre amp and now got its big brother , the freya to try . [725pounds ] iniatial reactioans are the freya has a bit more slam and bite but not massive . i stll like the saga
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:55 am

1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 am

Saw Schiit at CamJam. they have this really neat little system, incorporating the Sega pre, it’s tiny, looks like it can almost be put in your pocket, they even make a miniature rack. Looked great, and was soooo cheap, I mean sooo cheap you had to ask 2 or 3 times to make sure you’d heard correctly.

I don’t need a separate pre at the moment, but if I have to start to look again this will definitely be high on the list.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:43 pm

How are you finding the tubes on the Freya? No matter how I swap mine round, I always seem to get some hum in the quieter passages of music with either the original tubes or with a set of new replacement Tung Sol 6SN7s. They're noisy to the point where I mainly use the Freya in passive or JFET mode or use another passive pre entirely. As my long-suffering wife has observed, it might just be that tubes and I are not going to get on.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:32 pm

now funny you should mention that , i heard the freya in the owners system which was very high end , he had sensitive quad 2905 speakesr , some massive valve monoblocks and a schiit yiigy dac

it was SILENT in operation . now he had some tungsol 65n7 on the right side and the original 6h8c on the left . when i connected my ta`us i got tube noise as i believe it has 14db gain in that mode . silent in the other 2 modes but they were boring and 2 dimentional . the tubes was big , wide , with loads of slam and texture , but i could not stand this tube noise . especially if you are playing piano

so i read the paper manual i had which says front tubes are differential gain stage and rear tubes are for cathode follower . now it turns out the online manual says the right tubes are the gain stage .

so i just put back all the original tubes and it was much reduced , in fact it was almost silent and with the tannoy eatons it is utterly silent . i am more than happy with this level of noise as i have had it before and you can`t hear it unless you pin your ears to the ta`us

i put back the bel canto pre with my msb as the freya was picking up radio interefence on transmission of FM sometimes . worked perfectly with sonos but the pre 3 is brilliant and remembers all the volumes

i spent some time again comparing the saga and freya yesterday and most certainly the freya has more slam , more separation of instruments and although i love the saga , the freya is better . it MAY be becuase i am using dct 300 xlr from dac which gives more input than the rca cables into the saga .

now i do so hope you can get on top of this tube noise , are you able to try all the original tubes again
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:53 pm

Thanks for your response. It sounds like I’m not alone. The passive and JFET modes are not what I bought the amp for so it would be good to get it working as expected. I knew tubes could generate some hum but my Schiit Valhalla headphone amp is silent in use whether as a pre-amp through speakers or as a simple headphone amp so I had hoped for a similar experience from the Freya.

The manual on the Schiit website says the pairs of tubes are left and right, with left being the cathode follower output and the right being the gain stage. You’d have to hope the version on their website was the correct one. Jason Stoddard says the same in this post —> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit- ... t-13079669

I’ve drawn up a test chart to work my way through both sets of tubes in different positions. At the moment, I just swapped the Tung Sol tubes front to back and this seems to have quietened things down somewhat. Maybe just removing and reinserting them has had an impact. I’ll listen more tomorrow before deciding what to do.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:42 pm

i do hope so , keep me posted as its a superb pre amp . i have had rather a lot of high end pre amps and now have one that cost 725 quid new !!!

the saga has no noise at all and also sounds good with a brimar valve i have .
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner