Showcase

What's your system?
mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Showcase

Postby mickbald » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:39 pm

SimonJ wrote:
I get to the speed limit very fast of course ;-)

I remember Clarkson once wrote that they went from nought to 60 without involving any of the speeds in between.

I enjoyed my BMW 330 but it was nowhere near the AMG.

Whats the sound system like? Competes with the W11's etc................?

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:08 pm

mickbald wrote:
SimonJ wrote:
I get to the speed limit very fast of course ;-)

I remember Clarkson once wrote that they went from nought to 60 without involving any of the speeds in between.

I enjoyed my BMW 330 but it was nowhere near the AMG.

Whats the sound system like? Competes with the W11's etc................?

The sounds are great, powerful and many options but won’t come close to our HiFi systems but very good for a car
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:27 am

Those speakers kill
WOW

Yatty

Postby Yatty » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:16 pm

The finnish on the beethoven looks superb

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:58 pm

Well, as night follows day, having enjoyed the Boenicke W11's for 2 glorious years, I was tempted... Boenicke W13 SE. In the photos below it was during the home demo from Elite Audio. I had coasters on the floor marking the position where the glass plinths the speakers sit on normally go back to. I slide the speakers out into the room for "serious" listening, then they go back for day-to-day use. Having them further in gives the extra space they like to be at their very best.

https://bandeenbothy-my.sharepoint.com/ ... A?e=eFY40B
https://bandeenbothy-my.sharepoint.com/ ... Q?e=29TSRi
https://bandeenbothy-my.sharepoint.com/ ... Q?e=iS1FoY
https://bandeenbothy-my.sharepoint.com/ ... g?e=bdhx95

The tweeter, widebander and mid are all the same as on the W11, but the SE version includes crossover and tuning tweaks that deliver even more detail and musicality. I was expecting improvement over the standard version but its quite dramatic. Then there is the bass. The W11 goes deep with control, but the W13 goes far deeper and the scale is immense. The integration of the bass with the mid and high is perfect. I've demo'ed two sub-woofers with other speakers over the years, and I found it really hard to integrate a separate sub. I would spend ages positioning the sub, setting a cut-off frequency and a volume, and then the next track I listened to would be out of balance and I had to re-adjust the sub again. The W13 has active bass built-in, 4 pre-sets for frequency cut-off and a volume control. But its integrated into the speaker so once I found the best setting for my room and taste, that was it.

The W11 is a brilliant speaker, till now I've heard nothing better. It excels on all levels, and is beautiful to look at. But the W13 SE has more of everything, its incredibly good.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:29 pm

Wow! Stunning speakers. Congrats!
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm

i’m surprised that they don’t make them so you can have bass drivers facing each other.
but i guess this is because every speaker is the same, not a left and right pair
i find it funny in a way that i’ve never seen these speakers with anything but thick cable O0
i assume you get a good trade in too
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:40 pm

callen24 wrote:i’m surprised that they don’t make them so you can have bass drivers facing each other.
but i guess this is because every speaker is the same, not a left and right pair
i find it funny in a way that i’ve never seen these speakers with anything but thick cable O0
i assume you get a good trade in too

The photos don't show it but the W13's have bass drivers either side, 4 in total, with a power amp driving each. The W11's have just one bass driver per speaker, and the pair you get has one driver on the left side, one on the right. That way, if you want the drivers facing out the way, or in the way, just swap the left speaker with the right. Boenicke recommend the bass drivers facing in the way if the speakers are less than 2 meters apart, out the way if greater than 2 meters apart.

Speaker cable being thick is a general consequence of buying highly over-priced nonsense! In the case of the W13's there is actually significantly less current flowing through the speaker cable than with the W11's, even less reason to have thick cables. The W13's have active bass drivers so there is an XLR cable from the pre-amp to the speakers carrying the low-voltage audio signal, then the onboard speaker amps power the bass drivers. I think the "thick cable" you're referring to in my photos are the XLR cables Elite gave me for the demo. Those have been replaced by a Boenicke set which are no more than a cm thick. My speaker cable is the same as I had with the W11's. As my power amps are only powering the mid and treble via the speaker cable now, they're significantly less stressed than with the W11's.

I did get a very good trade-in Chris, its the only way I could contemplate this upgrade.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:42 pm

i think a major selling point for these speakers is that they are not mega huge, but you get a huge sound
interesting stuff
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

jules

Postby jules » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:39 am

Amazing looking speakers, enjoy 8)
Cyrus CD8x/PreVs2/Xpower -> Cyrus i/cs, 4TC, Oddy -> Leema Xone