new car tax changes

off topic
hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

new car tax changes

Postby hifinutt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

well i am sure you all know more than I do about the new car tax . seems a 5.0 litre gas guzzling mustang will pay 140 quid a year , same as a fiesta .

good news if you want a mustang :) !!!
seems a bit unfair but I suppose treasury revenue was decreasing under c02 regime
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Re: new car tax changes

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 pm

But you'll pay far more tax on the Mustang at the pump doing the equivalent miles.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am

My understanding is:

You pay an up-front/one-off tax when you buy a new car, the amount dependent on their 'polluting level'
After that there is a generic £140 p.a. for most cars except for cars costing over £40,000 - they will pay a supplement for the first 5 years.

I don't fully understand why hybrids are now to be treated the same for annual tax, although they will have a smaller up-front payment.
There seems to me to be a regular change of mind among the powers that be - for many years they've been encouraging the use of diesel cars, whereas now diesel is berated.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

jimmerz50

Postby jimmerz50 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am

Sounds like the car lobby has won out there - the rest of the world is heading the other way guys. higher VRT and annual tax for higher polluting vehicles. Sounds like you are heading for car industry friendly policy there.. oh no!

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:34 pm

tax generally is totally inconsistent and complicated. We need progressive taxation, rather than increasingly regressive taxation.

The low tax did encourage people to buy cars with lower CO2 emissions, but it's environmental credentials were always suspect, a new car will create as much CO2 in being built as it will create through consuming petrol.
So that suggests making less new cars, but using and renovating cars we already have.
This is no help for those of you who need a car for work.
I've always hoped for a world where driving is more enjoyable because we've got half as much traffic as public transport has been developed and expanded, and largely powered by energy created by wind turbines.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

GeeGee

Postby GeeGee » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:39 pm

I just read that the average age of a car in the U.K. Is 6 years, in Germany it is 8 and in the US it is 12.

Seems our throw away society includes cars too. And why my friends in America run their cars for 120k miles, and think we are mad.

Should help the Brexit deal though.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:07 pm

GeeGee wrote:I just read that the average age of a car in the U.K. Is 6 years, in Germany it is 8 and in the US it is 12.

Seems our throw away society includes cars too. And why my friends in America run their cars for 120k miles, and think we are mad.

Should help the Brexit deal though.

I read some time ago that there's another "sub-prime" financial disaster heading our way and this time it'll be due to defaulted loans on new cars. I suspect it's part of the 'me too' culture that seems to have developed in recent years where people don't seriously think about whether they can afford something or even actually need it before they borrow money to buy it.

And as for mileages, my last two cars were replaced with 175k and 185k miles on the clock respectively.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

billyray
Addicted
Addicted

Postby billyray » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:42 am

Funny my Significant Other and I have had this very conversation yesterday. There seems to us to be very little additional benefit to a new car over keeping our cars which are 4/5 years' old.

Fuel consumption hasn't taken a leap, neither has equipment generally. Cars don't rust like they used to and depreciation is huge. Neither car has done more then 50k and they still look decent.

So we have decided to keep them for the time being.