When is 4K Resolution Not 4K Resolution?

off topic
RichardLowe

When is 4K Resolution Not 4K Resolution?

Postby RichardLowe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm

Well, its not just in digital audio formats that you have to be careful purchasing high res - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... -really-4k.

I don't have a 4K TV yet, let alone a 4K player and media, so I haven't experienced this. The linked article has some advice and a link to a good resource for checking before you buy - http://realorfake4k.com/.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > boenicke w11

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: When is 4K Resolution Not 4K Resolution?

Postby callen24 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:19 pm

rarely ever?
being able to display the content does not mean that the tv can give you the full whammy.
but having just bought a tv it is now hard to get one which isn't 4k compatible
very much as it was with 3d
the 4k streaming of netflix and amazon is a key thing i think . i can't think that UHD bluray will take off in a big way.
when it come down to it the picture is what matters
Last edited by callen24 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: When is 4K Resolution Not 4K Resolution?

Postby angelface » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:29 am

What puts me off 4K is that we mostly watch TV through my Freesat box and the majority of channels are still SD and no 4K at all!

Sound is even worse as less than half of HD channels give you Dolby Digital so no point in upgrading my home cinema amp for the moment.

I don't think it will be TV or even 4K Blu-ray that will get me to buy a 4K screen though. When we were on holiday in sweden we had netflix for 4 days and wow was the picture fantastic. Netflix has arrived in France too so I think this may be my excuse for getting a new TV and then new processor.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5