New Computer

off topic
border

New Computer

Postby border » Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 am

My new computer should be arriving today to replace my ageing Samsung laptop.
Sadly I am not particularly computer literate and want to put all the stuff stored on the Samsung onto the new one.
I have an external hard drive on the Samsung that I use to back up on,can I just attach this hard drive to the new one and expect it to collect the information required or is there more to it than that?

roadsterg

Re: New Computer

Postby roadsterg » Thu May 17, 2018 11:23 am

Unfortunately this is not as easy as it should be and rather than write a lot of stuff that might not be relevant to you, can you say which operating system is on your laptop and what version of windows 10 ( I assume) you have on the new machine?

border

Postby border » Thu May 17, 2018 11:59 am

I have windows 10 on the laptop,which is about 6 years old.
The new one comes with windows 10 but I think it is as a download.

BigFatGaz

Postby BigFatGaz » Sat May 19, 2018 6:20 am

roadsterg wrote:Unfortunately this is not as easy as it should be and rather than write a lot of stuff that might not be relevant to you, can you say which operating system is on your laptop and what version of windows 10 ( I assume) you have on the new machine?

This is a good point because there are many different ways of doing this. The questions that will inevitably come will hopefully give you a simple accurate process to follow.
Can I ask how you've been backing up previously with the Samsung, do you use a program on the computer or do you save the files to the external drive or do you drag-and-drop the files to the external drive?
CDt | Stream XP2 Qx | PSX-R | Twin X Powers | Mac Mini (VLC player with VLC remote on Nexus 7) | Ruark Talisman IIs

border

Postby border » Sat May 19, 2018 7:09 am

I backup to an external hard drive.
I was hoping that I could attach this to the new computer for the transfer.
I did give it a try and it managed to transfer my photographs but mixed them all up out of order and included images of cd covers etc.
This version of Windows 10 is different from my original.
I have now ordered a bridged usb connector and will give that a try when it arrives.

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Sat May 19, 2018 8:34 am

border wrote:I have windows 10 on the laptop,which is about 6 years old.
The new one comes with windows 10 but I think it is as a download.

Both windows 10 so that avoids many complications. There are probably four areas that you need to address.

1) Data
2) Desktop contents
3) Preferences and favourites.
4) Programs

Default location for 1) 2) and 3) will be under your username in the c:\users directory. Copying this entirely to your backup device is a good start. It is important to realize that even if you use the same username on both machines windows won't treat them as the same user so you can't just copy the entire thing because permissions and ownership will be wrong. You should therefore take the contents of each major sub-directory and copy separately.
For example ____________________c:\users\username
\ desktop\
\favourites\
\documents\
\music\
…etc.
Copy the contents of each of these from your backup disk to the same subdirectory under the new username using the new computer account to do this. if you run into permission problems you might have to change the permissions on your backup disk to give all users access.
In the case of programs you will need to re-install those to be sure they will work correctly.

I could write a book on all of the minor tweaks possible in Windows 10 ( if I could remember them!) But if you hit snags come back and describe them.

border

Postby border » Sat May 19, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you for that,I`ll give it a try later on.

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue May 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Blimey, is it still that messy? When you buy a new Mac you have the option on startup to plug in your backup drive and put everything back where it was. Is Windows 10 not the same?
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Twenty 26.

border

Postby border » Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes,you would think that after all this time Windows would offer an easy transfer solution.
The number of people buying new computers and needing to transfer from one to the other must be huge.
I have now managed to achieve the transfer by loading all the programme discs onto the new computer and then buying a data transfer bridging usb lead so that the computers can communicate.
Then laboriously transferring file by file all of my photographs,documents and music.
Quite frustrating.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Postby zippy » Wed May 23, 2018 8:21 am

Windows used to include software called 'easy transfer' but for some reason that's gone from Windows 10.
Microsoft recommended method is I believe to use 'PCmover Express'

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=620915
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Wed May 23, 2018 8:26 am

zippy wrote:Windows used to include software called 'easy transfer' but for some reason that's gone from Windows 10.
Microsoft recommended method is I believe to use 'PCmover Express'

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=620915

… Then you find that PCmover is no longer a free product!

border

Postby border » Wed May 23, 2018 8:31 am

It`s a shame that they have to be so petty as to not include a transfer app with Windows 10.

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Wed May 23, 2018 9:11 pm

border wrote:It`s a shame that they have to be so petty as to not include a transfer app with Windows 10.

They actually ran into extreme technical difficulty after Windows XP because of the extra layers of complexity introduced by continually adding features and changing the structures of system folders and the registry. There is a very complex set of tools available to system managers but these can take weeks to master and really are not suitable for home use. In addition there is a big drive to 'persuade' home users to use Microsoft cloud services and stay permanently logged in to a Microsoft account. On the whole I advise against this unless you have business reasons for making your documents etc. available across a range of machines, but of course it does avoid having to move data from one computer to another or worry about localized permissions/ownership of the files.

Rune

Postby Rune » Wed May 23, 2018 10:25 pm

I actually chose to get a office 360 home annually subscription which gives everyone in the house office and 1 TB cloud storage and it makes it easy to move your data to another computer or make it awaileble on your phone.

Yes I already got office on my work laptop, but prefer to keep private and work separate.
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: NAD 758 v3 (DiracLive), 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub