Concerts / gigs

Pop, Rock, Jazz, Plinque, whatever ....
hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Concerts / gigs

Postby hifinutt » Wed May 10, 2017 4:15 pm

fantastic , glad you enjoyed . I am hoping to see another oldie next week . roger hodgson from supertramp at symphony hall
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Sat May 20, 2017 11:58 am

Jan and I just had 5 days in Edinburgh; it was our wedding anniversary on the 18th. That evening we went to The Jazz Bar, just around the corner from our hotel.
Free entry up to 7:30 and £5 after.
First was a singer/guitarist called Henry Ibbs. We quite enjoyed his performance.

About 8:45 there was an octet playing a tribute to Dave Pell who had an octet in the 40's and 50's. Arrangements of many standards like 42nd street. Nice playing but not our kind of jazz.

Nice place, good ambience and a great choice of music on every night, and very cheap. They make their money on the drinks I fancy! Small bottle of craft beer for £4.90!

Recommend if you are in Edinburgh for a few days.
ARC cd5>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>PrimaLuna Prologue7s>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  I/cs-Townshend F1 fractal; DCT 300; Isolda. Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>usb>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>PL Dialogue Pre etc. Townshend dct 300.

"As long as you can boogie, you ain't too old." (Tarotplane)

David H

Postby David H » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Just returned from "The Multi-Story Symphony" in Birmingham. Beethoven 5. Best £5 I've spent in a very long time.

Nice venue: Level 1 of the Arena North multi storey car park. Parking was easy. Bit draghty maybe. Ambience and acoustics could be improved.

But the energy and enthusiasm of the orchestra was just incredible, the playing spot on and the conducting exceptional.

The first hour consisted of the orchestra split into 4 groups, each in a different corner of the car park, each doing a different audience-interactive educational slot. "Living programme notes." The audience were encouraged to wander between the groups learning about the different movements of the symphony, themes, instruments, etc. Good fun if not a little too reminiscent of primary school.

My wife pretty much hates classical music but still I dragged her along and she absolutely loved it. Good to see so many young people enjoying classical music.

Highly recommended if you ever get the chance.

https://www.multi-story.org.uk

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm

Just received tickets for Royal Festival Hall, October 10. Dweezil Zappa playing Zappa. ;D
ARC cd5>Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre>PrimaLuna Prologue7s>Tannoy Stirling SE + supertweets.  I/cs-Townshend F1 fractal; DCT 300; Isolda. Raspberry pi with JRiver and usb hdd>usb>Wyred4Sound Dac2v2>PL Dialogue Pre etc. Townshend dct 300.

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:01 am

^^^^^^^
Fabulous show. 3 hours with just a 15 min intermission! A Zappa extravaganza with some excellent playing. Too many songs to list, but they covered most of Frank's career.
50 Years of Frank Zappa was the show's title.

Both Jan and I loved it all

David H

Postby David H » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 am

Sounds like a great show, Chris.

I'm back to Symphony Hall tonight - Beethoven's 5th piano concerto & Shostakovich's 12th symphony. The 12th has never been a favourite of mine but Shostakovich in Symphony Hall is always an emotional experience.

David H

Postby David H » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:03 am

hifinutt wrote:fantastic , glad you enjoyed . I am hoping to see another oldie next week . roger hodgson from supertramp at symphony hall

Phil, did you get to Roger Hodgson? I was quite keen but not enough to go, it seems.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:25 pm

The Gerry Colvin Band at The Place Theatre in Bedford - a great folk / smooth jazz mix.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

Czechchris
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Czechchris » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:58 am

Looks a decent year so far.
Joan Baez at RAH
Nils Lofgren in Harrogate
The Rolling Stones in London Stadium
Queen in Berlin

And finally so far:
Mitsuko Uchida and RPH in the Festival Hall.

IanB
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby IanB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:19 am

Paul Weller at O2 a Arena. Over 30 songs nearly 2.5 hours. Been to see him numerous times and I think he just gets better and better. A great set from last 2 albums, solo back catalogue, Style Council, and The Jam. At the top of his game.

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:28 am

Just home enjoying a cuppa after seeing Martin Turner Ex Wishbone Ash playing the There's The Rub album along with a selection of the usual suspects. Venue was Kidlington Football Club. Much fun had by all.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:07 pm

looking forward to seeing Public Service Broadcasting at DeMontfort Hall on Friday 13th
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

Hifihelp

Postby Hifihelp » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:36 pm

The newest psb album is terrific. I like the space one too.