dynamic range

Pop, Rock, Jazz, Plinque, whatever ....
zippy

dynamic range

Postby zippy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:34 pm

I find that the majority of classical CD's need to be played at substantially higher volume (-20) than most 'rock' (-30).

I have a feeling that this is not a matter of them having been recorded at lower level, but more a case that the dynamic range is much greater on classical music.

Or maybe it's my hearing or my system !

Comments please..
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Joe

Re: dynamic range

Postby Joe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Yep. Classical needs a greater dynamic range than say, dance music with rock somewhere in between. Therefore it's quieter.
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, CDXT Sig, Chord Hugo TT.
MFA Classic v2, Mono X 300 Sig, PMC Twenty 26.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:44 am

Yep, it's DR. Also over time DR of new releases has gotten worse (on average, there are some exceptions of course). More often than not the DR of the vinyl version of a new release is a bit better than the CD but it's case by case. That's why I don't buy CDs anymore and unless they reverse this trend that is why for me anyway, CD is dead.

SAP7

Postby SAP7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:48 am

As cds vanish from cars it may change.
Pigs might fly.

Etc.
CD XT sig / Stream X2  (Synology NAS) >  Chord Hugo TT > Mono X300 signatures > PMC 23
Grado GS1000e / 325e
Real name = Steve

zippy

Postby zippy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 am

crimsondonkey wrote:Yep, it's DR. Also over time DR of new releases has gotten worse (on average, there are some exceptions of course). More often than not the DR of the vinyl version of a new release is a bit better than the CD but it's case by case. That's why I don't buy CDs anymore and unless they reverse this trend that is why for me anyway, CD is dead.

I'm surprised you say that, as I find the general quality (not specifcally DR) of current recordings to be much higher than 'most' older ones (the cutoff point on my music seems to be around year 2004 !)

thanks for the answers..
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 am

I play rock and pop CDs at 50 and classical ones at 54.

I find newer recordings (since 2000 perhaps) louder than earlier ones and I have turned the volume in the past but with current setup that doesn't seem needed.

I'm guessing recordings are like hi-fi - very much a question of taste!
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8>WB Sq. Centre>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

jules

Postby jules » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:00 pm

See

http://www.turnmeup.org/

for more information.

Once you find out about the situation you'll realise that 'mastering' can actually make more of an impact on the sound quality than bit rates and mp3 etc. ;)

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Yep. Always amuses when some people brag about their expensive transparent set ups with studio like insight and then at the same time complain about how crap modern music sounds on it, with no sense of what they've just done.

roadsterg

Postby roadsterg » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm

There is a general assumption that a wide dynamic range is a good thing but this is not so in my opinion. In a concert hall situation live music would be heard in a very large space with plenty of damping from the natural acoustic and from the audience itself. Provided there is no background noise quiet passages can still be heard and loud passages can be enjoyed without instantaneous reverberation. However in a typical household environment when the volume is high enough for quiet instruments to be fully appreciated the loud passages become deafening.

Vinyl recordings of classical material always have the problem that groove separation limits the maximum signal volume recorded and then quiet bits suffer high levels of groove noise especially towards the centre of the disk. I believe this was slightly improved by varying the groove spacing according to loudness.

One further aspect for listeners to radio three is that the BBC insist on trying to get maximum dynamic range on classical material and in practice this means that the median loudness of this channel is always lower than other radio stations and when the volume is increased by the listener they then suffer from booming announcer levels when the music stops.

So I am proposing that compression of dynamic range in music recording is beneficial if the music is to be reproduced in a home environment.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:06 pm

roadsterg wrote:There is a general assumption that a wide dynamic range is a good thing but this is not so in my opinion. In a concert hall situation live music would be heard in a very large space with plenty of damping from the natural acoustic and from the audience itself. Provided there is no background noise quiet passages can still be heard and loud passages can be enjoyed without instantaneous reverberation. However in a typical household environment when the volume is high enough for quiet instruments to be fully appreciated the loud passages become deafening.

Vinyl recordings of classical material always have the problem that groove separation limits the maximum signal volume recorded and then quiet bits suffer high levels of groove noise especially towards the centre of the disk. I believe this was slightly improved by varying the groove spacing according to loudness.

One further aspect for listeners to radio three is that the BBC insist on trying to get maximum dynamic range on classical material and in practice this means that the median loudness of this channel is always lower than other radio stations and when the volume is increased by the listener they then suffer from booming announcer levels when the music stops.

So I am proposing that compression of dynamic range in music recording is beneficial if the music is to be reproduced in a home environment.

You missed out the word 'some'.

I think what you're saying is that you would prefer less DR when listening to classical. That puts you in quite a minority.

This doesn't change the fact that most other musical recordings would benefit from more DR.

Return to “Music”