blade runner 2049

Action, Thriller, Horror, Tearjerkers, whatever ....
callen24
Addicted
Addicted

blade runner 2049

Postby callen24 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:41 pm

Very good
Four stars
Saw it this afternoon with 10 other people
My worry that they would trash it, was unfounded

I think one of the strengths was they avoided set piece dialogue speeches, which the original was strong on, having iconic words in some places. Instead they let the situation, visual cues lead the way, specifically in 2 scenes at the end.

Ryan Gosling isn't everyone's cup of tea, given the lack of lines i thought he conveyed the role well.

On the sound track, it wasn't a cinema ive been to often for the big budget films, so the fact that it seemed harsh might not be representative.
It worked well in a water drenched visceral scene in the last quarter.

The tech that brought back peter cushing in recent star wars film is also used convincingly .
The visuals obviously had a lot of thought put into them.
The only thing that didn't work for me were big shimmering internal walks in some scenes

Not unsurprisingly, but worrying the left it open for a sequel, when they didn't need to
Last edited by callen24 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

RichardLowe

Re: blade runner 2046

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm going in next week. I'm encouraged that so many reviews are positive, I was worried they would either make it a simple FX blockbuster for the teen market for a quick buck, or just as bad, come up with something that didn't live up to the original's quality, and so make it a needless outing.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > boenicke w11

SergeiZ

Postby SergeiZ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Planning to watch it next week. It is definitely not a teen-movie.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:14 am

Saw it last night. Chris' review above pretty much sums it up for me. I would add:

Its not as "cerebral" as the first film, instead its more of a cinematic feast - the cinematography and soundtrack are visceral, stunning in fact. If the film doesn't get Oscars for both I'd be shocked. Although shorter on the philosophical points, its by no means just chewing gum for the eyes, there's plenty to think about.

The soundtrack is a major part of the film. Chris found it harsh, as he said perhaps a result of the cinema he was in. The multiplex where I saw it, it was immersive and you could feel it. I'm not sure I would say harsh, maybe the system was better than the one Chris heard, but its an experience in itself. In the original film it was less "industrial"and didn't have the weight of this one.

It stands as a good companion-piece to the original and a good film in its own right.

Lastly, big sigh of relief, they didn't Hollywood-ise it and make a wham-bam special effects blockbuster for teen males!
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > boenicke w11

davidf
Hifi Dealers
Hifi Dealers

Postby davidf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

I've seen it twice now - first time in 2D normal screen, then last night on IMAX 3D - I definitely recommend the latter!

Adam608

Postby Adam608 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:17 pm

Just got back from the cinema. WOW!!!! I absolutely loved it, but in fairness quite a few people got up and left during the film so it clearly isn't everybody's cup of tea. Definitely one to watch at the biggest screen and best soundsystem cinema you can travel to. Wish I had seen it at the local IMAX now, but didn't expect it to be quite as good as it was!

9/10 from me! :)

davidf
Hifi Dealers
Hifi Dealers

Postby davidf » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:41 am

Adam608 wrote:I absolutely loved it, but in fairness quite a few people got up and left during the film so it clearly isn't everybody's cup of tea.

That could be said about most films nowadays though. Those walking out either weren't really there to witness a follow up to a classic, they were probably just passing some time. Either that or their attention spans only stretch to Fast & Furious films. I guess they stayed for the whole of Alien Covenant...

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Is it as good as Blade Runner 2049? :o
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Cyrus Stream X Sig ----> MCRU No. 74 digital --------> DAC XP Sig/PSXR2 ---->Tellurium Q Ultra Black XLR-->2xMono X300 Sigs-->  MCRU Ultimate--> VA 'The Kiss', Maestro Centre, Mozart rears (3X Mono X), Rega RP10/Apheta2 Phono Sig PSXR2. Sources via AG1500 mains regenerator

SergeiZ

Re: blade runner 2049

Postby SergeiZ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Watched it! What a ride! spectacular!!