How will EU stay decision affect UK hi fi industry

where threads go to die ...
Musicality

How will EU stay decision affect UK hi fi industry

Postby Musicality » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Just wondered if anyone has any views on this. Do people suspect the freedoms of being able to trade more easily outside the EU, without tariffs and quotas in the EU, could have a positive effect on exports of hi fi and strengthening of the industry (an area the UK excel in)
PMC Twenty 23's, DAC XP Sig / psx-r, 2 X Mono X200 Signatures, Stream X Signature, CD-T, Sonos Connect, WD NAS with Netgear Nighthawk extender, Chord Cables ; Signature tuned aray XLR, Epic Reference Speaker cable, Anthem tuned aray digital, C Stream Ethernet cable

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Re: How will EU stay decision affect UK hi fi industry

Postby wyjsar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:07 pm

Couldn't care less, it's a cottage industry at best. There are bigger concerns.

What exactly do you mean "without tariffs and quotas in the EU"? Tariffs are exactly just what has been voted for...
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
Sony Xperia X -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature / AKG N60NC wireless

SAP7

Postby SAP7 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:06 pm

I'd stick to worrying about heat, rather than macro economics...  :)

I am not interested in the context of what's happening. It's not something that has got near crossing my mind!

In any way. Nor will it.
Last edited by SAP7 on Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CD XT sig / Aurender N100h  (Synology NAS) >  Chord Hugo TT > Perreaux Eloquence 255i > Boenicke W8
Sony PS 6750 (soon to be Technics SP10).
Grado GS1000e / 325e
Real name = Steve

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm

I think others have said much the same, the impact on the hifi industry isnt exactly high on the list of concerns right now!
[size=x-small][font=Verdana]' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Acoustic Solid MPX;  DDDAC 1794
Amplifier:          Leben CS600
Loudspeakers:   Impulse Ta'us (modded) horns

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:28 pm

I've already had an email from MCRU as follows:

Dear valued customers.

This morning brings the news that the UK people have voted to exit the EU. How does that impact on you and us?

Putting the political issues aside. A timeline of 2 years is now set for the UK government to negotiate terms of the exit from the EU. So in the immediate future nothing will change.

There will be a free movement of goods to and from the EU, there wont be import duties applied and VAT will still be charged  at 20%. For those EU business customers with VAT numbers you wont be charged VAT as normal.

All customers outside the EU will still have UK tax deducted at order placement.

At MCRU nothing will change, we will still send out your orders as normal.

The quality of our products and service will not change. We will keep you informed through our newsletters and articles published on our home page of any changes that the EU exit will bring to you.

David Brook - MCRU

paranoid android

Postby paranoid android » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Article 50 has to be invoked. EU wants us to do this b4 Cameron goes. Once it is invoked there is 2 years for us to sort out the divorce. These means untangling all the laws that we agreed to from the EU. Note the UK has Sovereignty over these EU laws but chose to accept them. As you can imagine it's a helluva lot of work. Academics will be in pig heaven with all the work.
Once this happens there can be talks on trade. After 2 years from  invoking Article 50 we revert to WTO rules of trade tariffs if no trade agreement can be reached. The average tariff is 5.5% but could be up to 12% ish.
According to academics trade agreements take about 10 years on average to put in place. Interestingly Switzerland, who are often quoted by Quitters, stated talks with the EU in 1972 and still haven't finalised everything. They have about 100 treatises.
Also, the main issues are not tariffs but regulations. UK manufacturers will have to comply with each individual countries standards. e.g components, packaging. The EU did this for us but we have to start from scratch with every country we want to trade with.
Oh and the big markets of USA, India and China won't even start talking until they know what our relationship with the EU will be.
CDXTSE+ PSX-R, Stream X Sig, Chord Sig plus Dig, DacXP Sig, PSX-R, Clearer Audio Silverline XLR -MonoX300Sig-Chord Signature-Spendor ST.British Audio 10 way power block, Target stand.
Matrix-m hpa-2 + sennheiser hd650. Rega RP6 + Rega Aria.

Musicality

Postby Musicality » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:55 pm

As you implied it's possible for the uk gov to negotiate a tariff free trade agreement with the eu I believe. There is also the issue that tariffs are small beer even if invoked on us trading in Europe, against a high pound - the exchange rate is high despite current dip due to our strong trading economy against the failing eurozone.

From what I've read the speed of trade agreements being free of burrocracy is quicker from countries like Switzerland to outside Europe countries than the eus agreements on behalf of eu states, with all the talks and agreements this takes and those member states involved.

We can still trade outside Europe without trade deals of course, as we do, irrespective of any agreements, but for hi fi manufacturers I can understand the standardising issue. But then on flip side we can reduce their business costs through deregulation - sensible elements of health and safety and defective products regulations for example.

I wouldn't be surprised that with our exchange rate, economy, ability to form our own quicker trade deals with countries outside the Eu we will still be better off, and we don't have to defer to the eu for making our trade agreements being in Europe. Therefore hi fi manufactures trading will be better and drive down prices for consumers here and abroad.
PMC Twenty 23's, DAC XP Sig / psx-r, 2 X Mono X200 Signatures, Stream X Signature, CD-T, Sonos Connect, WD NAS with Netgear Nighthawk extender, Chord Cables ; Signature tuned aray XLR, Epic Reference Speaker cable, Anthem tuned aray digital, C Stream Ethernet cable

realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Postby realoldfart » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:35 am

[quote="The Far North"]
I've already had an email from MCRU as follows:

Dear valued customers.

This morning brings the news that the UK people have voted to exit the EU. How does that impact on you and us?

Putting the political issues aside. A timeline of 2 years is now set for the UK government to negotiate terms of the exit from the EU. So in the immediate future nothing will change.

There will be a free movement of goods to and from the EU, there wont be import duties applied and VAT will still be charged  at 20%. For those EU business customers with VAT numbers you wont be charged VAT as normal.

All customers outside the EU will still have UK tax deducted at order placement.

At MCRU nothing will change, we will still send out your orders as normal.

The quality of our products and service will not change. We will keep you informed through our newsletters and articles published on our home page of any changes that the EU exit will bring to you.

David Brook - MCRU
[/quote]

What a grasping opportunist prIck.
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Postby realoldfart » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:38 am

[quote="Musicality"]
As you implied it's possible for the uk gov to negotiate a tariff free trade agreement with the eu I believe. There is also the issue that tariffs are small beer even if invoked on us trading in Europe, against a high pound - the exchange rate is high despite current dip due to our strong trading economy against the failing eurozone.

From what I've read the speed of trade agreements being free of burrocracy is quicker from countries like Switzerland to outside Europe countries than the eus agreements on behalf of eu states, with all the talks and agreements this takes and those member states involved.

We can still trade outside Europe without trade deals of course, as we do, irrespective of any agreements, but for hi fi manufacturers I can understand the standardising issue. But then on flip side we can reduce their business costs through deregulation - sensible elements of health and safety and defective products regulations for example.

I wouldn't be surprised that with our exchange rate, economy, ability to form our own quicker trade deals with countries outside the Eu we will still be better off, and we don't have to defer to the eu for making our trade agreements being in Europe. Therefore hi fi manufactures trading will be better and drive down prices for consumers here and abroad.
[/quote]

Are you a micro sized dildo or what?

Certainly a micro size intellect.
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

essgee

Postby essgee » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:14 am

More late night/early morning musings from the in-house intellect.

Good thing not saying what you really think then.
Some electronic cases interconnected and connected by cables to wooden enclosures which make some fine sounds.

t-roten

Postby t-roten » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:16 am

[quote="Musicality"]

[/quote]

As a Norwegian - I really can't see this happening.
Norway are currently more compliant with EU regulations than most EU countries. This is so we are allowed to be part of the common market. But my main issue with Norway's current situation is that we have to adhere to the rules, but we are not at the table when these rules are decided on.
And It takes a lot of cost and resources to set up individual trade agreements with individual countries outside EU. and finally, there is no guarantee that the countries UK wants to trade with are in a rush to set up a separate deal for UK
Pioneer LX55 + Denon Da-300USB ->
Rega RP3 with TTPSU + Musical Fidelity M1LPS -> Musical Fidelity M6i -> Trond "Ellam 2.5"
Yamaha NP-S303 ->

Cyrus Streamline v2 -> "Trond" Peerless HDS-PPB

Musicality

Postby Musicality » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:49 am

[quote="realoldfart"]
[quote="Musicality"]

[/quote]

Are you a micro sized dildo or what?

Certainly a micro size intellect.
[/quote]

Maybe you can explain why you think I'm a micro sized dildo?