Wanted: ATC SCM40s

mojo

Wanted: ATC SCM40s

Postby mojo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:25 pm

I didn't get much luck here when asking for PMC floorstanders but I'll try again, as I know there are ATC owners here too.

I recently picked up a pair of PMC FB1is and I like them a lot, but I think the place where they are can take a little more than the PMCs have to offer, so now looking to try out some ATCs - anyone considering a change and thinking of moving theirs on?

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Wanted: ATC SCM40s

Postby mickbald » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Sorry, I'm keeping mine :)

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm

That's fair enough - I get the impression that they aren't made in big numbers and they don't tend to change hands very often.

I'm still miffed about the fact that I agreed to pay £880 for an "almost mint" original shape pair last year, and then could not find a way to pick them up! I should have tried harder, as it was a really good price unless the description did not match the actual condition.

Fortunately I'm happy enough with the PMCs not to be in any great hurry, so all I can do is watch PFM, AVforums and HiFiForsale and see what turns up. And of course Ebay, ignoring the listings with silly prices...

Ives

Postby Ives » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:01 pm

mojo wrote:That's fair enough - I get the impression that they aren't made in big numbers and they don't tend to change hands very often.

I'm still miffed about the fact that I agreed to pay £880 for an "almost mint" original shape pair last year, and then could not find a way to pick them up! I should have tried harder, as it was a really good price unless the description did not match the actual condition.

Fortunately I'm happy enough with the PMCs not to be in any great hurry, so all I can do is watch PFM, AVforums and HiFiForsale and see what turns up. And of course Ebay, ignoring the listings with silly prices...

I think 880 pond for a pair of SCM 40's would be a crazy price.
Here in Belgium they sell new for nearly 5000 euro (4.347 pond).
Let us assume the offer was shady or you seem to have missed an opportunity :'(

mojo

Postby mojo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:14 pm

It was a dealer in mid-Wales shutting up shop. I suspect that he (in effect) took them for a pittance in part-exchange for something and was happy to just get back a small profit. So yes, it was a missed opportunity but I just could not fit in collection around other things that were happening at the time.

They were the old shape, which I'm pretty sure were a lot cheaper than the current model, I guess because the new cabinet shape is more complex to make, but still would have been fantastic value.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:06 pm

modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

Ives

Postby Ives » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:26 pm

hifinutt wrote:bit more than 880 quid !

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/atc-scm40- ... y-open-box

Hm. The link above is a bit confusing.
The pricing seems to concern ATC SCM40, the latest model.
But the pictures below show the ATC SCM 40A (the active version which is of course more expensive).

mojo

Postby mojo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Agreed - that price would actually not be too bad a deal if they were the actives shown in the photos!

The last pair that I can recall of the passive newer model on Ebay were from a dealer at just under £2k, though there was someone trying to sell a pair in black for £2.5k a few months back, and they were advertised for about 6 months at that price before disappearing - sold or not I don't know.

The older shape pair currently on at £2650 seems to be a case of desperately wishful thinking - as far as I can recall they were only around that much brand new the last time you could buy them new 4-5 years ago - but I don't want them in black anyway.

mfin

Postby mfin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes, there was a black pair of newer type for £2k listed a couple of weeks back Item no. 282469277432

mojo

Postby mojo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:27 pm

But again, black - though not as bad (IMO) as the satin black, which (IMO) just makes them look like black slabs (though maybe that suits some locations).

Looks like I will just have to wait and be patient...

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Are you set on a pair of ATC 40's? What amps have you got?

mojo

Postby mojo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 pm

Is that "what amps have a I got" or "what amps do I want"? Currently I have just a Smartpower with PSX-R, but I've been looking out for a pair of Mono X's. Longer term the plan would be to go to multiple Hypex or similar, as I would enjoy the build - but there's an element of chicken and egg.

The location of the speakers is an odd one, as they have to go fairly close to a wall, but they have an odd space in front as they will be on a landing! I was worried about this, but it seems the complexity of a stairwell and five doorways with rooms off means that it does not seem bass-heavy.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:31 am

My understanding is the ATC SCM40 is quite a hard load to drive. Long-term the Hypex n-Cores will bring them to life, but I'm not sure a Smartpower, even with PSX-R will do anything, other than force the power amp upgrade quickly. I think others have had good experience with MonoX driving them, but again, once an upgrade to Hypex n-Cores or other "beefier" amp was made, that was when they really sing.

I don't have real-World experience though, better to let others who have gone through the process respond.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > vienna acoustics concert grand

Ives

Postby Ives » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:53 am

RichardLowe wrote:My understanding is the ATC SCM40 is quite a hard load to drive. Long-term the Hypex n-Cores will bring them to life, but I'm not sure a Smartpower, even with PSX-R will do anything, other than force the power amp upgrade quickly. I think others have had good experience with MonoX driving them, but again, once an upgrade to Hypex n-Cores or other "beefier" amp was made, that was when they really sing.

I don't have real-World experience though, better to let others who have gone through the process respond.

I have demoed them with last year with ATC's own Sia2 integrated power amp (150W/chanel) and that combination sang quite well. So Mono X's should indeed do the trick to. But I agree using a Smartpower could be a risk.
I don't believe the smartpower wouldn't do anything though.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:09 am

Mojo, if it were me I'd be looking for a pair of Heco Direkts. Very musical, can go close to walls and because they're sensitive your choice of amps expands greatly including lower powered valve amps.

ATC's are a relatively stable load to the amp, but because of the sealed box design they aren't that efficient, and for most people they need a fair bit of current to sound at their best. So while Mono X will get a tune out of them, they won't be getting the full potential from them. I also think that Mono x and Nord (which I'd recommend over the Cyrus amps) aren't necessarily the best sonic match with ATC but that's just my taste for a presentation with meat on the bones vs a leaner 'hifi' sound.

Return to “Private”