Building a Raspberry Pi system from scratch

careful with that soldering iron, Eugene
mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Building a Raspberry Pi system from scratch

Postby mickbald » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:38 pm

Motivated from a recent tread.................

Currently I have a Celerium dual core laptop PC running W7, JRiver, Spotify, iTunes, ancient Netgear NAS and Internet radio connected to the DAC XP Sig through a Stello U3.

So I need wi-fi and Ethernet as a minimum for my next project. For info, the Stello spec is pretty high.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/April-Music-St ... B00BAZBA1W.

I've got concerns that W7 is unsupported and the laptop cannot be upgraded due to hardware limitations and that it is connected to my main PC's in the house running our banking etc..

I'm thinking about putting a Raspberry Pi together from zero knowledge of what one is.

So a few questions.

Should I even think of this, seeing as I could upgrade to a better / cheap W10 PC very easily?

Will I need KB, mouse and screen hardware directly attached to the Pi?

Will I need KB, mouse and Screen hardware directly attached to the Pi?

Can anyone please point me to a thread that starts from the basics as to how to spec and build a Raspberry through to the up-grades such as better power supply and whether the Stello U3 will still be required or can be bettered by an add on board.

What operating system does / can it use? I'm happy with Windows but have used various Unix in the past but am very rusty. But I have a Son who is at Expert level.

Will it boot from USB generic drives?

How do I interface through other Windows PC's and a number of Apple devices (Ipad, Ipod and Iphones) Currently I use VNC viewer.

Sorry for the long post but a pointer to a good link would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Building a Raspberry Pi system from scratch

Postby mickbald » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Just wrote a lengthy reply then lost it, will try again later
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:53 pm

Hardware needed;
Raspberry pi 3 is preferable to the 2; gives you wifi built in for example.
16 gig micro sdhc category 10 card
“Soundcard” of choice; consider what connectivity you might need, optical, coax etc, rhen pick from hifiberry or iqaudio, there are others but these 2 are well regarded. I have the plain hifiberry digi+ card for my roon endpoint.
Case of choice, some are made specifically for your “hat” card (ie the dac you just plug on top of the pi) eg there is a hifiberry one for the digi+ with holes for the pi sockets and the optical/coax sockets.
Usb power, there is nothing wrong with the official raspberry pi 5v/2amp psu to get you started, upgrade later if you wish.
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Software, depends what you want to do. I found dietpi as an os to be a revelation. I’m ok with a bit of ssh / linux commands but the dietpi built in config software makes things a doddle. Take a look here as most software is written in to the dietpi config for easy install from a menu.
http://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5#p5
If you want remote desktop, then you’d probably want lxde or xfce.
Ssh is installed by default so you can access via “putty” if you ok with command line linux. Or even just to type “dietpi-config” to get into the menu to install/change setup.
The pi will run jriver and can be installed via dietpi software installer. So you could use that vs the files on your nas, and use jremote to control.
Alternatively look at the jriver “id” software, which is os for pi and jriver mc all rolled into one. https://jriver.com/Id/ You can buy a card with the software installed, I dont think it’s yet available image download.

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks Robert.

Hardware wise I'm looking at the two suppliers you pointed to. Processor RPi3 with the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro. Only going the better Digi+ on a buy once basis. I'm looking to connect the RPi3 direct into the DAC XP. I'm comfortable with building the kit but I'm struggling understanding how the RPi3 OS (Rasbian? I have just seen you recommend an alternative) and general software interfaces with the external Apple devices, W10 PC and NAS.

I've not comfortable with the Linus command line - last time I used anything close was Berkley 5 Unix in the 70's when I used it quite a lot, but I'm happy to take up the challenge and have a Son who is an expert who might be bribed to help.

I'm doing to do some research on the software and links you have suggested but a couple of very very basic questions.

Do I need a KB and touchscreen attached to the RPi3? If not, how do I do the basics like entering the router password to get the unit onto the network and Internet in the first place? I have read that you can program the SD card on a PC to produce a boot disk and then plug it it into the RPi3 but just what do you add? Hopefully the links you've pointed to will explain.

Are programs such as iTunes, Spotify and JRiver resident on the RPi3 or does it just act as a transport? Can I use existing licences? For example, I have JRiver licensed on the PC; will it be resident on the RPi3 in which case I will need to upgrade the license or will the PC license suffice?

Before I buy the HW and start experimenting, could you please give me a warm feeling that we will be able to run Spotify Premium controlled through an Apple iPad in the same format that my wife is used to and hence there will be no divorce proceedings in the foreseeable future ;)

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Spotify for rpi
https://dtcooper.github.io/raspotify/

Jriver mc23
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index. ... 505.0.html
It’s a linux version so windows licence not valid, but you can upgrade to a master licence which works for multiple versions.

Dont think there is itunes for rpi
But shairport-sync will turn it into airplay compliant (and can be installed easily through dietpi)

Dietpi is basically as far as i can tell a cut down debian and you can then add whatever bits you need.

You will need to plug in a monitor and keyboard and network connection to get started, insert your pre prepared card with dietpi on it (download image and write to the card using etcher). Dietpi will update itself automatically to the latest version. You just need to tap the keyboard a few times entering the default root id and password.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:50 pm

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks Robert. I'll order the HW next week and carry on with the research based on what you have advised.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:26 pm

Throw in my four pennys worth. I have a Ras Pi and it is/will be my winter project. (DAC and ?) I have tinkering just to see what’s what and found.... It requires patience and a bit of head scratching. First, I found that getting on line was not as easy as anticipated (unless your router is adjacent to your Pi.) Dongles didn’t work for me and a computer without wi Fi is useless. It needs a hard wire. Second. Installing an Op Sys was easy and as stated above, there are lots available. Third. There are a couple of really good Rasp Pi Book/Magazines which will Walk you through the (hardest) first bit. ie getting up and running. Have fun and keep posting
PS someone should write a Hi Fi / DAC /ROON book for the Rasp Pi. I don’t want to control a toy robot!

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:PS someone should write a Hi Fi / DAC /ROON book for the Rasp Pi. I don’t want to control a toy robot!

That someone can be me O0

Building a Pi end point soon for Roon with my DAC

It means bye bye Aries streamer as not required when I go this way :D
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Thank you. ( can I have a signed copy.?)
Joking apart. I hope you do ~ just a diary of the build would be good. Thanks

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:28 pm

Already exists and it is a doddle.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dietpi ... e/13908/53

I have 2 now
First is a raspi model 2 with hifiberry digi+ card, with dietpi os, roonbridge and shairport sync installed. This feeds my unitiqute via coax in.
Second is a raspi model 3 with hifiberry dac+ card, same software as above, and built inside a Sony ghetto blaster. Not quite finished on the modding. I want to put new speaker drivers inside the Sony as the originals are pants, just trying to find the ideal match/fit. This will be setup to work over wifi. Might also add jriver mc.

Both are setup to run a couple of scripts on boot up. First plays a sound so you know it has switched on and running ok. The second sends me an email with the assigned ip address so i can connect to them easily via ssh over the network.

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:21 am

Yes there is a lot of data out there these days

I will be using a direct I2S interface to my DAC which should give great improvements so not SPDIF or USB needed
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:42 pm

I've ordered the hardware from HiFiBerry. I went overboard on spec for two reasons.

1. Once I've got it working want to leave it alone and so need some future proofing.
2. If it doesn't do what I want I need it to be able to do a replacement job without buying replacements.

Description Quantity Price
HiFiBerry Universal Case 1 £12.00

HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro1 1 £45.00

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B 1 £32.00

Official Raspberry Pi 3 Universal PSU 1 £7.00

Subtotal £96.00
Shipping £2.50
Total £98.50

Still need a 16 Gig micro SD card and some bits to make the screen and keyboard work.

Started to download the OS and software as recommended bu Robert.