Classic Albums: Martin Grech - Open Heart Zoo - Review date Sunday 14th December

For those Sunday afternoons
STodd
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Classic Albums: Martin Grech - Open Heart Zoo - Review date Sunday 14th December

Postby STodd » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:03 pm

[quote="mickbald"]
CD, Please get off the fence :D
[/quote]

Not much evidence of splinters in his arse on this one mick...
MMStreamer (Teddy12/4) ► DAC X Sig/PSX-R || Rega P3-24 (Dino & Dino+)
MFA Classic Copper ► Mono X ► PMC GB1i
Cables: ML Binary Star, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA | Chord Epic / ST
AG500 Mains Regen | http://www.last.fm/user/stetod

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Classic Albums: Martin Grech - Open Heart Zoo - Review date Sunday 14th December

Postby Robert » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 pm

This album was made when MG was 19, and it's just him plus the producer, so from that perspective I think it's an outstanding result. Having seen MG live twice, both times acoustic just him and a guitar, the songs take on a totally different character, no electronic frippery just vocal acrobatics and quality guitar playing, I guess my review is massively swayed by that experience. He was totally spellbinding, I think probably one of the most incredible performances, as it was so personal; and I've seen a few bands in my time from genesis to pink floyd and several in between. But just one guy and a guitar, 6 feet in front of you, now that's hard to beat.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

simbo

Postby simbo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:20 pm

Format(s):
CD, kit as per sig
Spotify 320kbs on iPhone 6 / Shure SE530

Bought for 1p this CD it is hard not to be good value for money and although I am not keen on some of the tracks I think even with the £1.26 postage it is money well spent.

I instantly recognised the car advert track, which I'd completely forgotten existed, currently my favourite track.

The album is very much a mixture of other artists sounds: Radiohead meets Muse meets Foo Fighters and perhaps even a bit of Beck, but these don't appear to be influences, but almost little covers appearing amongst the tracks.

Now I love Radiohead, but I'm not so keen on Muse, but this didn't dampen my overall enjoyment of the album. My musical tastes do include 'dark' so the album really appealed to me. I prefer the less heavy tracks in general. I also found a couple of other tracks very 'skip-able'.

Very much reminded me of Aqualung's eponymous debut that also had a track (Strange and Beautiful) featuring on a car ad. Although that album is less rocky than this one and in my view much better too.

Glad I've had the opportunity to hear it and I will listen to it again.
Naim Mu-so / Project Debut III with an Audio Note IQIII :o / GS Genera (DIY)

Simon Chick
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Simon Chick » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:48 pm

Well sorry, I did try though. Probably played it half a dozen times in a cd rip.

I could never engage with it, or even remember a lot of it. There were a few passages of beauty, but the whiny bits entirely overwhelmed them. I'm afraid that any further review attempt would be just a cut and paste job on preceding largely negative impressions. I will still mention the exceedingly pointless 10 minutes waiting for the "hidden" track. What the @#$% is the point of all that nonsense?

The fact that Radiohead, who entirely passed me by at the time of their prime, is next up and a frequent comparison to Mr Grech makes it interesting though. I will load Hail To The Thief on to my portable player before setting off to join my wife at my daughter's home in Dubai for Christmas, so I am ready for the 28th, and I hope then a better contribution than this one.
Synology NAS > noiseless PC / Roon > Jitterbugs > USB Regen > Ayre QX-5 Twenty > Ayre KX-R Twenty > 2 x Ayre MX-R Twenty > Dynaudio Confidence C4 Signatures
Chord Sarum loom, Missing Link, MCRU and Transparent Reference power cables
PS Audio P10 mains regeneration. Sonority isolation

abozo

Postby abozo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:04 pm

I might be breaking the rules by commenting here but WTH...

[quote="Simon Chick"]
Well sorry...
[/quote]

Reviewers need to stop with this sorry thing.  It looks like it's the promoter who needs to be sorry in this case!  :-[

But I'm not sorry, because if I hadn't chosen Martin Grech I would never have had the chance to read CD's highly entertaining review!  ;)

[quote="Simon Chick"]
I will still mention the exceedingly pointless 10 minutes waiting for the "hidden" track. What the @#$% is the point of all that nonsense?
[/quote]

I have many CDs that use this method to include "extra" or "hidden" tracks.  Perhaps most are from that era.  Irritating, I agree.

Good luck to everyone with Hail To The Thief.  I think a lot of people are going to need it!  ;)

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:41 pm

I will still mention the exceedingly pointless 10 minutes waiting for the "hidden" track. What the @#$% is the point of all that nonsense?
I think it is to make quite a short cd look longer, so when you put it in the tray you think you've got 58mins of music, not 50. or 39 in some cases
I think this is particular bad if the track is one of the best on the album - I think dido and Robbie Williams did this.
The one exception I can think of is Paul weller where you get 20 seconds of silence before you get the noise which is supposed to be the needle running into the label on vinyl, followed by the noise of an auto stop on a record deck
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:42 pm

Please accept my apologies for being late with my homework - I've just got back from a few days away.

I listened to this album on spotify on my second system. Although this arrangement is not the best to showcase the production values I note and agree with the previous comments about sound quality.

I'd never heard of this artist before this review period. I didn't even recognise the track that featured in a car commercial. On first listen I hated it. This is not my normal style of musical taste, but I find the beauty of this exercise is the obligation to keep going. I eventually played the entire album through (including the long pause) five times. On some of those listens I had it on while I was doing some work at home. I rarely play music when I'm working as I find it distracts me too much, but I was able to have this on in the background - I guess that indicates this album failed to excite me nor did it grab my attention.

My notes include phrases such as: chaos, choir boy, dull film soundtrack, gentle but lacking direction. More positively, I also noted some melodic vocals and acoustic guitar.

I have ended up not minding it being played, but there's nothing here to encourage me to re-visit this album nor to explore the artist further.

Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

Bolts2109
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Bolts2109 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:38 pm

And my apologies for lateness too - busy at work.
In short; it's an eclectic mix - personally I liked the Radiohead influences even if they are 'burgled' and most of the album bar the heavier rock tracks.

That said I listened to it quite a few times and felt I was enjoying it but then found my attention wandering every time... the rather disparate mix of genres meant it wasn't that cohesive for me.  Good choice though and it's on my Spotify playlist now.
Aurender N100H, Inspire Eclipse V2 w/Ortofon Cadenza Black, Bricasti M1 DAC, Jeff Rowland Capri, MK Geithain 903K

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:51 pm

method
ALAC rip on ipod, with ie8 headphones while on the bus to LFE

I think it is great that im encouraged to really listen to something I dont know. I do mainly stay to what I know
These are the tracks I loved
2. Open Heart Zoo - a particular highlight
4. Tonight
6. Only One Listening
8. Penicillin
9. Catch Up

These tracks I found interesting and  worth a  listen
11. Death Of A Loved One
12. ILL (Demo Version) (Bonus Track)

The other tracks left me cold.

It sort of reminded me of the star trek films - I love them but the odd number ones are mainly rubbish, except 9
I really want to hear his other albums now

Thanks to abozo for introducing me to this
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Chris - if you've not listened to a Radiohead album before may I recommend 'OK Computer' instead of Grech trying to imitate it.
[size=x-small][font=Verdana]' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Acoustic Solid MPX;  DDDAC 1794
Amplifier:          Leben CS600
Loudspeakers:   Impulse Ta'us (modded) horns

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:39 pm

[quote="crimsondonkey"]
Chris - if you've not listened to a Radiohead album before may I recommend 'OK Computer' instead of Grech trying to imitate it.
[/quote]
Having listened to both the bends and ok computer too many times.

I found it more a 'homage'

Listen to london grammar, they obviously love the first coldplay album

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Can't stand London Grammar either, and don't even get me started on what I think about Coldplay  ::)
[size=x-small][font=Verdana]' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Acoustic Solid MPX;  DDDAC 1794
Amplifier:          Leben CS600
Loudspeakers:   Impulse Ta'us (modded) horns