Addicted
Addicted

Let Love In - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Review date - Sunday 17th May

Postby SteveC » Wed May 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Crimsondonkey has another choice - his own:

Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Linn K20 speaker cable, Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Let Love In - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds Review date - Sunday 17th May

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri May 15, 2015 10:45 am

Okay so this to me is 'proper' Nick Cave.  I first started listening to his first band Birthday Party when in 6th form - only the goths liked it!  (If you want some ind of idea go on Spotify and listen to 'Release the bats').  In solo form and with The Bad Seeds I've probably got all of his stuff (except the latest album, see later) but this is the album I rate as his best and the one I return to most often.  I bought a second copy on vinyl just in case anything happens to the first one.

All the familiar Cave themes are in here - murder, violence, sex, religion, death - its just that in this album they have been realised with greater skill and style than either before or afterwards.  The arrangements and production are brilliantly put together and create the moody and atmospheric backdrop over which Cave introduces his characters and articulately does what he likes with them usually with dark humour.

Those of you who have seen Peaky Blinders will instantly recognise most of the album as it has been used extensively in the series, but don't let that put you off.

Obvious tracks to pick out are 'Red right hand' which is one of my reference tracks when buying or changing kit; and 'Loverman' and 'Do you love me' both parts.  There are different but no bad tracks here.  Basically for me Cave and The Bad Seeds nailed it on this album and on later albums only occasionally reached these heights again, and certainly not for a whole album.

Other albums I think got close include 'Boatman's Call' and 'No more shall we part' but these evoke different moods and demonstrate their skill in creating different feels to an album.  To return to the point above about the latest album, I likely differ from most when I say I have a deep hatred for 'Push the sky away', I cannot stand the cover artwork and the whole thing sounds utterly soul-less and devoid of what makes Nick Cave such a unique artist, its just like a weak diluted pastiche of his former work to me. 

Anyway back to 'Let love in', this is one of my all time favourite albums, would definitely be played on a desert island and I hope you hear something in this that brings you even a glimmer of the enjoyment this has brought me whilst wearing out the grooves of my first copy (second is unplayed as yet).

“He’s a god, he’s a man, he’s a ghost, he’s a guru. They’re whispering his name through this disappearing land. But hidden in his coat is a red right hand.”
[size=x-small][font=Verdana]' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Acoustic Solid MPX;  DDDAC 1794
Amplifier:          Leben CS600
Loudspeakers:   Impulse Ta'us (modded) horns

Bolts2109
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Bolts2109 » Sun May 17, 2015 7:16 pm

I have listened to this over the last few days; I'm an occasional listener to Nick Cave, but before this I wouldn't have said a big fan.

This album though is a revelation; I love every track and thank you CD for putting it up here. It's now on my top listens list and I will be seeking it out on vinyl.

On another point (mainly for Steve)  we seem to be getting fewer reviews each time for this thread, which is a shame, especially when gems like this are posted.  I wonder if it's in part because its now a sticky and doesn't get noticed?
Aurender N100H, Inspire Eclipse V2 w/Ortofon Cadenza Black, Bricasti M1 DAC, Jeff Rowland Capri, MK Geithain 903K

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Postby wyjsar » Sun May 17, 2015 8:01 pm

[quote="Bolts2109"]
On another point (mainly for Steve)  we seem to be getting fewer reviews each time for this thread, which is a shame, especially when gems like this are posted.  I wonder if it's in part because its now a sticky and doesn't get noticed?
[/quote]
Indeed - I was never really a fan of the idea of the classic album Sundays but on the strength of the two reviews here I'll be giving this one a listen... so... keep it up guys, get reviewing!
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
Sony Xperia X -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature / AKG N60NC wireless

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

I have listened to this album several times and enjoy it more and more.  I'll try and do a more fulsome review tomorrow. 

Like many, I think, I don't always have the time to put together a review.  I wanted to  have the opportunity for myself, and others, to hear new music and listen to it critically.

I take Bolts point, and for the next album I will start a thread to announce what is next for review, and post a reminder a couple of days before the due date.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Linn K20 speaker cable, Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

Bolts2109
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Bolts2109 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:39 am

Thanks Steve I think that'll work  :)
Aurender N100H, Inspire Eclipse V2 w/Ortofon Cadenza Black, Bricasti M1 DAC, Jeff Rowland Capri, MK Geithain 903K

David H

Postby David H » Mon May 18, 2015 9:04 am

Late again...

Format: CD ripped to FLAC

Another true classic and another album which I've played hundreds of times and loved it each time.

Waynes' review is pretty much spot on again, so there's not much to add.

If you're looking for Nick Cave at his most malevolent then this is the go to album.  It all changed (not necessarily for the worse, just different) after Let Love In.

This album drips with seedy emotion.  It's beautifully ugly.

I hadn't played this for some time so it was great to go back in time.  21 years, gosh...  :o

I remember playing this and The Church - Sometime Anywhere (a very different but also fantastic album from Australia) over and over again through most of 1994.  A great year for me.

1: JRiver->Chord 2Qute->MFA MKII Silver->NCores->Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arrete
2: Android phone->Mojo->HD800
3: JRiver->Audiophonics DAC->Cyrus 8 integrated+PSX-R->Audiovector Mi3 Super

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon May 18, 2015 3:59 pm

Really pleased that a couple of you like it and have become acquainted with what I consider to be his very best work.  Hopefully a few more will listen and share their thoughts too.
[size=x-small][font=Verdana]' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'

neildalton

Postby neildalton » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I rate this. Not my favourite (that's Your Funeral...My Trial), but a cracker all the same. Anyway, I'm off to eat. Hope everyone's well at CU. I'm looking forward to having more time to spend here come July. X

qbee

Postby qbee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for the tip off, will listen on spotify tomorrow
You hear that cat? On the harmonica?

realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Postby realoldfart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 am

"To return to the point above about the latest album, I likely differ from most when I say I have a deep hatred for 'Push the sky away', I cannot stand the cover artwork and the whole thing sounds utterly soul-less and devoid of what makes Nick Cave such a unique artist, its just like a weak diluted pastiche of his former work to me. "

Oh dear Wayne, OK so you say "to me" - but what a load of tosh.

Those of you yet to encounter "Push the sky away" do not let Wayne's inappropriate ire put you off. "PTSA" is yet another NC cracker as far as I'm concerned; as I consider the subject of this thread.
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:08 pm

[quote="realoldfart"]
"To return to the point above about the latest album, I likely differ from most when I say I have a deep hatred for 'Push the sky away', I cannot stand the cover artwork and the whole thing sounds utterly soul-less and devoid of what makes Nick Cave such a unique artist, its just like a weak diluted pastiche of his former work to me. "

Oh dear Wayne, OK so you say "to me" - but what a load of tosh.

Those of you yet to encounter "Push the sky away" do not let Wayne's inappropriate ire put you off. "PTSA" is yet another NC cracker as far as I'm concerned; as I consider the subject of this thread.
[/quote]

That's the thing with opinion's, they're just like a*holes - everyone's got one.  I offered mine as it was my thread to do so, but that doesn't make it tosh because it doesn't agree with yours.

Silly rabbit.

realoldfart
Addicted
Addicted

Postby realoldfart » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 pm

Now, now my little bunny, I didn't say that it did, but my thread or not - I claim my right to defend "PTSA". Even if it doesn't fit with your AH - n'est-ce pas?
Now looka here...
I did not say I was a millionaire...
But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire!
Cause if I had kept all my money that I'd already spent,
I would've been a millionaire a looong time ago...
Lyrics taken from <a href="http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/howlin_-wolf-lyrics/goin

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:31 pm

[quote="realoldfart"]
Now, now my little bunny, I didn't say that it did, but my thread or not - I claim my right to defend "PTSA". Even if it doesn't fit with your AH - n'est-ce pas?
[/quote]

Anyway,  when do you next go away?!  ;D

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:56 pm

How do you find the grinderman stuff? Remember seeing on jools holland but dont have any in the collection.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers