Missing Link or Tellurium speaker cable?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Missing Link or Tellurium speaker cable?

Postby argustimewas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks for all of the replies to my previous post. The advice I've received about has been really helpful.

Having spoken to Missing Link and MCRU the general advice seems to be:
ML Sling-shot Evolution, or
(from MRCU) Tellurium Q Black

The lengths I need plus jumpers mean that ML comes out at around £835 & Tellurium at about £410. Given my system (please see my signature below) do you think I should stump up for the increased cost and go for ML or take the less expensive option of Tellurium?

I know I should audition, but I would have to buy both and then return one for a refund and I'm not sure I can be bothered to go through all of that and, in the end, mess one of the suppliers about a bit. I know this is a personal taste thing, that everyone's system, room and musical preferences are all different. It's not an exact science but I'd appreciate any views anyone can share.

In any event I'm expecting an improvement on my present cables which I've been meaning to upgrade for ages.

Many thanks.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
Auralic Aries Mini & LPS
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Missing Link or Tellurium speaker cable?

Postby phlppip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:28 pm

I haven't tried the missing link, however I did try the TQ Black and when compared to Chord Epic, preferred the Epic in my system there was more detail with the Epic the Black was just too warm and dull sounding, but it's all personal preference.
Lyric Stealth
ATC SCM40's
Synology NAS
Supra Ethernet Cables
Clearer Audio Copperline Speaker Cables

jackdawclaw

Postby jackdawclaw » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Personally i would take a step back, re-read the posts from Crimson Donkey and Ian S and try something alot cheaper.  I expect you will get significant improvements from swapping out the Cyrus cables for Van Damme Blue, Atlas Hyper 2 etc.  And you'll have hundreds of spare pounds!

It sounds to me like you want to spend money, why not consider upgrading your components rather than speaker cable which does seem a little OTT for your set up (at least the £800 one does!)
Last edited by jackdawclaw on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amps: Cyrus APA7.5s, Musical Fidelity A1 FBP
Sources: M-DAC, Pioneer SD703 Transport, Revolver Turntable, Laptop/flac/NAS.
Speakers: AudioVector Mi3 Avantgarde
Cables: Atlas Hyper 2.0, Missing Link Alaqeia XLR and a XLR Norwich special.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:13 pm

If you listen to a lot of CDs I would upgrade your CD8x to a CDXTSE2 (one of the biggest upgrades I've done).

I'm not saying you don't need to change your speaker cable but it might be better to make that upgrade first and then try some s/h stuff that you can sell if you don't like it.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

phlppip
Addicted
Addicted

Postby phlppip » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:25 pm

[quote="jackdawclaw"]
Personally i would take a step back, re-read the posts from Crimson Donkey and Ian S and try something alot cheaper.  I expect you will get significant improvements from swapping out the Cyrus cables for Van Damme Blue, Atlas Hyper 2 etc.  And you'll have hundreds of spare pounds!

It sounds to me like you want to spend money, why not consider upgrading your components rather than speaker cable which does seem a little OTT for your set up (at least the £800 one does!)
[/quote]

This is a very good point, but if your like me you will always be thinking I wonder if I am missing anything by not using expensive cables.....?? and end upgrading again anyway.
Lyric Stealth
ATC SCM40's
Synology NAS
Supra Ethernet Cables
Clearer Audio Copperline Speaker Cables

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:55 pm

If you ask 20 people for their opinion, you will get 20 different opinions, all good in there own way.

My advice for what it's worth is to be bothered and try the 2 cables you mentioned, both suppliers are used to products being returned and I am sure you won't upset them.
I just borrowed a Missing Link Binary Star from Mark and liked it so much that I ordered a second one.
Source:Aries G1,PS Audio NPC Phono
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black,OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
DAC:Chord Qutest,Chord Mojo/Poly
Amplifier:Bryston BP17Cubed/4B3
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:B&W C5v2,OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature spk.
Atlas Mavros XLR x2,Atlas Mavros Ultra,Chord Indigo Plus XLR,DIGITAL Atlas Mavros Ultra x2,Atlas USB.Chord Optichord

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:26 pm

[quote="angelface"]
If you listen to a lot of CDs I would upgrade your CD8x to a CDXTSE2 (one of the biggest upgrades I've done).

I'm not saying you don't need to change your speaker cable but it might be better to make that upgrade first and then try some s/h stuff that you can sell if you don't like it.
[/quote]
+1
also I think cd is right, try something cheaper, specifically secondhand.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 pm

Hi
History and Story of speaker cables ..
I think , as mentioned , everyone's advice may be of big interest..
I think that basic ideas need to be said : Copper cables vs Silver cables , then it depends on your taste and what your system is giving as response ..
My personal choice : Kimber 8TC , Townsend Isolda
I have a pair of Vandamme Blue .. very nice for the price
The best sounding one for me are cheap cables from Jantzen Audio ..
The other thing to be considered are the connectors , and this is where you can have the additionnal bit ..
Cheers
Sy1 : Nautilius 804 + Kimber 8TC
Sy2 :Ref1000+CAPS Zuma +BC Pre3 & DAC 3 + PARADIGM S2V2
Sy3:  Belles LA01 + Icon Audio MB845 + EXIMUS DP1 + DDDAC 1794 + Auralic Aries + Melco N1A  CT XT Sig +RPM5 (unused) +Virgo 25

Manimal

Postby Manimal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 pm

If you borrow from Missing Link ask them to also send you a set of cables made up with Cable Talk Excel 4 - good quality old stock high purity copper.

ML have some reels of this and it sells for £5 per metre (was more in its day) and it doesn't highlight any particular frequency - I like it a lot and I have used and tried lots of cables - ML Slingshot, Odyssey, Epic, Tellurium Blue, Van Damme, Atlas Hyper Bi-wire & many many DIY versions using solid core, multi core, shielded, ofc, silver plated, pure silver etc.

Let a set of cables sit in the system for a few days - not to 'burn it in' but to judge its character. What may at first sound fantastically crisp and detailed may soon turn to too bright and irritating in the longer run. 
Main Sys: CD8X + PSX-R + Ianmac filter / SBT - M-DAC + Ianmac Filter - Hypex UcD400 Monos - DIY XLRs + DIY Speaker Cable + DIY Ellam9800 speakers

PC Dell XPS 420 + Rotel RA-1062 - DIY CSM speakers

clap

Postby clap » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I didn't like the tellurium black. Seemed to filter out certain bandwidths. Unnatural sounding.
mains regenerator>Orbe+QC>Jelco>XYZ Airy 3> Dynavector p75mkII +RA psu>Teac VRDS10se>wbt & Oyaide digi+rcas>Battery powered Young DAC>Oyaide POCCC2.0/OyaideP4>PowerInspired>RFCFurutech Alpha3/Piezo>Audible Illusions pre>MCRU ultimate rca>Classe 10 Power Amp>Analysis Plus Big Oval>Totem Arro

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:49 pm

There's no harm in trying the cables if you can loan them.  Then there's no pressure to like them because you've lashed out on them.

I would though consider the relative benefits of changing cables which at best can be tuning, and at worst feeding paranoia, versus the kind of improvement £800 ish could make to your front end or your speakers.  That's where I would go first.

How long are your runs, I may have some VD in my loft you could try as another reference.  It will definitely sound more open than Cyrus thats for sure.  IanS1 uses it in his system and believe me his is one of the best set ups I've heard and he's never been tempted to mess about with any other cables - and if you had heard it you would understand why  ;)
[size=x-small][font=Verdana]' I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm...'
Sources:           Acoustic Solid MPX;  DDDAC 1794
Amplifier:          Leben CS600
Loudspeakers:   Impulse Ta'us (modded) horns

Rob100

Postby Rob100 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 pm

[quote="argustimewas"]
The lengths I need plus jumpers mean that ML comes out at around £835 & Tellurium at about £410. Given my system (please see my signature below) do you think I should stump up for the increased cost and go for ML or take the less expensive option of Tellurium?
[/quote]

My system is not too dissimilar to yours.  I use Van Damme 6mm LC-OFC as in the link below, its easy to work with so I terminated it myself with BFA plugs for the amps and bananas for the speakers, and also made a set of jumpers with spades.  (But Connect Audio will terminate if for you).  All in probably spent around £60 to £70.  I believe that this is also the cable of choice for PMC speakers who advise against the use of exotic cables.

I'm sure that either the ML or Tellurium will sound better, but will they sound a few hundred pounds better?  I know you said you were not keen on auditioning, but Connect Audio have a 14 day return policy so perhaps worth trying a pair and comparing it to the expensive cables?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Van-Damme-LC-OFC-6-0mm-Hi-Fi-Loudspeaker-Cable-/121130949427?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c33f79b33
Vortexbox, SBT, NJC Audio Reference DAC and Monitor II pre-amp / headphone-amp, NCore amp, Handcrafted speakers using SEAS drivers and HifiMAN HE-500 headphones.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:27 pm

if you listen to a lot of CDs, and can live with the inconsistency of the Cyrus SE cd players you might find that a good deal , and demo of a Cyrus transport against your cd8x would be possible
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM

cjyosemite

Postby cjyosemite » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:27 am

[quote="phlppip"]
I haven't tried the missing link, however I did try the TQ Black and when compared to Chord Epic, preferred the Epic in my system there was more detail with the Epic the Black was just too warm and dull sounding, but it's all personal preference. [/quote]

Your system will be warm enough with Spendor S6 speakers. I used Chord Odyssey 2 with my S5e's but the whole soundstage opened up when I bi-wired them with a spare pair after I had upgraded my interconnects to Anthem 2 whereas bi-wiring made no obvious difference with my previous Chord Chorus 2 interconnects. I also have a pair of A5's in one of my other systems & when I upgraded my Odyssey 2 to Epic Twin it had a fuller bass & more detail - note the A5 does not have as full a sound as the S5e but has greater clarity & more sparkling top-end & I assume the same applies to S6. You could do a lot worse than look for some secondhand Epic Twin on ebay with banana plugs & use Russ Andrews adaptors - but it is very much about combinations so you may also need to change your interconnects. Chord cables are not popular with some on here but they are widely available secondhand & can be sold on at little or no loss if they are not to your taste. The main criticism is that they are on the bright side with Cyrus kit but I have never found them so with my Spendors. Your taste in music can also have a significant bearing on this - mine is wholly classical.

gaz b

Postby gaz b » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:49 am

I cant comment on ml speaker cable but
I had a demo of the terilium ultra black just yesterday in my home system
250 quid p/m compared to my townsend isolda
I compared the isolda last year to Abby rd ref cables too, but couldn't hear much difference, so wasn't expecting much.
it  wasn't night and day but the black for me was better, I was impressed
when funds allow I will be selling isolda for the ultra black.
BC pre3,
linn akurate ds
bryston 7b power amps
pmc mb2se
michel orbe se (modded)