Bryston 4B3 Vs Mono X 300 Signature

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Joe

Bryston 4B3 Vs Mono X 300 Signature

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:46 pm

As always I'm pondering the next upgrade before the bank balance has even recovered from the last. ::) A new power amp/s seems logical. Looking around, it seems to me that going beyond the £6k mark in solid state seems to buy power that I don't need and my speakers aren't ideal for valves. I'm also not particularly enamoured by the idea of Class D. The Bryston 4B3 seems logical then, particularly as Bryston are always mentioned in the same breath as PMC, but how much of this is down to synergy and how much due to the distribution link? Has anyone compared the 4B3 to Cyrus' finest?
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Twenty 26.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Bryston 4B3 Vs Mono X 300 Signature

Postby crimsondonkey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm not sure I fully agree about all you get above £6k is more power headroom. Yes you can, but what you can also get is balance from end to end of the freq spectrum, subtlety, texture all wrapped up with greater precision and control.

Bryston are good and at one point a real upgrade on Cyrus amps, back when Mono X was top of the tree. The extent to whether this still holds true against X300 I wouldn't like to judge as I have less experience with them.

To be honest if I was where you are (but not knowing your tastes and preferences) I'd be looking at the Nords and the ability to roll different op amps first, and then things like Plinius, Pass Labs, Sugden Masterclass, MSB, Modwright etc which have grunt combined with a light touch.

The limitation of Bryston, although powerful and full of effortless drive, is that they're prone to sound a bit hard when it should be soft, ie on textured instruments and female vocals. They're good but can be bettered without too much imagination.

Knipester

Postby Knipester » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:11 pm

I've owned Cyrus x300 & Bryson 4bsst2 amps and both had their merits but I think other brands do everything they do and much more. I do think the brrston warranty is excellent.

This is a bit over your budget but would certainly be a step up in performance to what you've listed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vitus-Audio-R ... Sw2gxYqeJp

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:09 pm

crimsondonkey wrote:I'm not sure I fully agree about all you get above £6k is more power headroom .

That was purely the impression I got from reading down the amp list of a couple of PMC dealers. As always this forum has thrown up a couple of leftfield brands I'd never heard of. Thanks guys. O0
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:24 pm

Joe wrote:
crimsondonkey wrote:I'm not sure I fully agree about all you get above £6k is more power headroom .

That was purely the impression I got from reading down the amp list of a couple of PMC dealers. As always this forum has thrown up a couple of leftfield brands I'd never heard of. Thanks guys. O0

Well PMC are going to go straight to Bryston in a flash. What else did they mention?

Joe

Postby Joe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:24 pm

I've just been browsing websites wondering what I could hear in a demo with the Twenty 26. Chord have some new bling in the price range but I don't hear people rave about their amps.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 pm

I wouldn't touch Chord amps with a barge pole. Others may vary.

The list I gave you all have the ability to drive your speakers and produce a solid musical presentation. They can also be found at decent prices which relate to their actual performance.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:11 am

Naim nap300 is also worth a listen even if it's a quick no. Should be relatively easy to find a decent one 2nd hand. Often partnered with pmc speakers. Might not be your cup of tea.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

threepoint8

Postby threepoint8 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:05 am

I can't recall the exact characteristics, it's been couple years when I went crazy listening to many amps and speakers but I remember liking the PMC-Burmester more than the PMC-Bryston. I've heard Bryston 2-3 times and each time I felt it sounded a little hard. I suspect Goldmund would rock it well with PMC...just pure guessing given Goldmund has delivered very consistent impressive result with various speakers I've heard, most notably Wilson. Obviously very subjective.

zippy

Postby zippy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:55 am

I'm really surprised that several people describe the Bryston as 'hard' etc.
I've used Bryston amps for some years in my otherwise Cyrus system (and in my previous Linn based system), and last year upgraded from the 2B to the 4B, which was a significant improvement.
In my system the Bryston sounds 'clear' rather than 'hard'.
I've not compared Cyrus amps with Bryston side-by-side, but remembering what the Cyrus amps sounded like when I last heard them I'd go for the Bryston every time.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:55 pm

zippy wrote:I'm really surprised that several people describe the Bryston as 'hard' etc.
I've used Bryston amps for some years in my otherwise Cyrus system (and in my previous Linn based system), and last year upgraded from the 2B to the 4B, which was a significant improvement.
In my system the Bryston sounds 'clear' rather than 'hard'.
I've not compared Cyrus amps with Bryston side-by-side, but remembering what the Cyrus amps sounded like when I last heard them I'd go for the Bryston every time.

I think it is simply a matter of preference. The problem with this sort of money is that it is a lot of money to spend, it could be technically better to your ears, but you might not like it. so an extended demo is necessary. Every time I've heard NAIM it hadn't been my cup of tea, but it is available second hand, as is bryston and sugden. There are other brands but they don't come up as often.
Belles?
are they not in fashion now?
I guess there is an issue of size, Joe might be happy with a bemoth, but he might not be able to accommodate them.
I think he should hear a Nord, or ncores, he might like them.
I know I've said this before but a d class mono amp surely must be on the cards from Cyrus, replacing the x series.
so Joe could just sit back and enjoy, spend the money on vinyl
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:44 pm

"I'm always pondering the next upgrade before the bank balence has recovered from the last". That, in these circles, should be up there with Winston Churchill quotes!.
No prolatisin - Try Nord. You may be surprised.

Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. Much to ponder.

As always, finding a local dealer who stocks more than two of the short list as well as my speakers might be a challenge so it may be a case of waiting for one or two second hand bargains and selling on.

callen24 wrote:I guess there is an issue of size, Joe might be happy with a bemoth, but he might not be able to accommodate them.

I know I've said this before but a d class mono amp surely must be on the cards from Cyrus, replacing the x series.

We've had new windows fitted and had to move the Hifi so I've taken the opportunity to order a set of longer legs for the rack in anticipation.

Is it wrong that what I really fancy next is a big breeze block of an amp? No chance of that with Cyrus.

zippy

Postby zippy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:59 pm

"Is it wrong that what I really fancy next is a big breeze block of an amp? "

Definitely not - it's not a proper amp unless it takes at least two people to lift it !! ;)
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Return to “General Discussion”