Streamline 2 firmware update

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
SeanT

Streamline 2 firmware update

Postby SeanT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Just been quoted £35 to do this locally - as I don't know where my streamer was purchased from. Considering how long it likely takes that's probably higher than my labour rate for highly sophisticated software engineering... Also, this seems a little at odds with a service that Cyrus advertise as being free. And I need to leave it with them. Does anyone have the facility to do this the same day and / or for less?

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Streamline 2 firmware update

Postby callen24 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:16 pm

mine was done in 15 minutes for free , including a sound check by nottingham hifi, I didn't buy it from them either. they did it infront of me
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

zippy

Postby zippy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:04 pm

£35 - you're lucky - As I reported at the time, I was quoted a lot more than that last year..
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

SeanT

Postby SeanT » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Just because your experience was also shit, doesn't make mine OK. Guess I better pay it, but I'm sure Cyrus advertise(d) it as free.

Starwarsmike2422

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:42 pm

Fanthorpes do it for free. Great service!
SME 20 Turntable - SME V (Ikeda wire) - Van Den Hul Colibri XPG
ASR Basis Exclusive Phonostage
ASR Emitter II Blue Amplifier
Cyrus Signature Streamer & DAC
Wilson Benesch Trinity Speakers -Wilson Benesch Centre
Wilson Benesch Torus Ultrasonic Generator

t-roten

Postby t-roten » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am

Send a message to Chris at the Cyrus User Forum on their web site
Let them know what dealers try to charge for the service. I am about to do the same, and will let Cyrus know what dealers charge for the service Cyrus says is free.

And I would also confront dealer with the fact that Cyrus says it's free...

SeanT

Postby SeanT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:59 am

I've had a diplomatic response from Chris already.

zippy

Postby zippy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Which is probably along the lines of 'dealers can charge what they like' ?

(in fact I've just found Chris's reply to my query, which is:

"As far as I am aware, nothing has changed. Retailers are encouraged to offer it free of charge as a point of good customer service, particularly where they sold the unit in the first place. We can't prevent private businesses from charging for their labour though (time spent updating a unit is time spent not selling something), so best to ask upfront to be sure.")
Last edited by zippy on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 pm

sean, is nottingham hifi to far for you to travel?
they didn't charge me, I suspect you are talking about the well known Coventry based dealer?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.

TomT
One+

Postby TomT » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:37 pm

It is annoying because if you point a browser at your Streamline, then modify the URL from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\index.asp to update.asp you should be redirected to a Firmware update interface. e.g. http://192.168.1.72/bl_index.asp.

On this page you can browse for a firmware file and seemingly update the unit.

Cyrus just need to put the firmware files in the public domain.

TomT

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:01 pm

TomT wrote:It is annoying because if you point a browser at your Streamline, then modify the URL from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX\index.asp to update.asp you should be redirected to a Firmware update interface. e.g. http://192.168.1.72/bl_index.asp.

On this page you can browse for a firmware file and seemingly update the unit.

Cyrus just need to put the firmware files in the public domain.

TomT

Tom, the firmware comes in two parts. The second is loaded on the web page you mention but the first is loaded via a mini USB port which is inside the streamer. Cyrus don't want users to perform that internal update as the user might leave the mains cable connected in which case there will be mains level voltages inside and it therefore a risk. Cyrus rightly assume that not every user can be trusted to do things properly. If it helps, I know this is how mine is updated as on one occasion my local dealer (since closed sadly) emailed me the files so I could perform an upgrade myself.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 am

I also got a dealer to Email me the files and did the upgrade myself. Worked a treat without problems. Though to be fair I'm a ex-employee of a dealer and was taught how to do internal upgrades safely.
Source:StreamXSig,CDXTSig,Phono Sig+PSX-R,
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
Amplifier:DACXP Sig+PSX-R2,2xMonoX300 Sig
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:Arcam rHead, Mojo, OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature speaker.
Atlas Mavros XLR,Chord Shawline XLR,Chord Indigo tuned Aray,Chord Indigo+,2xML Binary Star,Optichord.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:42 am

I think we should have a list of dealers who do not charge for this service.
I understand that people might not want that info connected to them personally .
I'm happy to put it on this page if people send it to ne by PM.
I'm happy for dealers to make it clear to us that they don't charge, on this thread.

zippy

Postby zippy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 pm

callen24 wrote:I think we should have a list of dealers who do not charge for this service.
I understand that people might not want that info connected to them personally .
I'm happy to put it on this page if people send it to ne by PM.
I'm happy for dealers to make it clear to us that they don't charge, on this thread.

I suspect, if you do that, the 'non-charging' dealers may be inundated with requests!

I think a fair situation is that the dealer from whom you bought the streamer should do updates for free, and for all other dealers to make a small charge (I'd pay something like £20)

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:25 pm

zippy wrote:[I think a fair situation is that the dealer from whom you bought the streamer should do updates for free, and for all other dealers to make a small charge (I'd pay something like £20)

But the dealer I bought my original Stream X from and who arranged the upgrade to a Stream X2 has now closed. And the nearest branch of that dealer doesn't stock Cyrus so I'd have to go to their major competitor instead. Not that it actually matters as a) my current Stream X Signature was bought used so I've no idea where it was originally purchased and b) I've no real desire to have it upgraded in the short or medium term future.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5