What Speakers to audition

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
mmidd69
Five+

What Speakers to audition

Postby mmidd69 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi,
I feel it may be time to audition some new speakers for my system, as they are the oldest component and perhaps the weakest part. My existing speakers are Acoustic Energy, reference series model AE1 series 2, approximately 20 years old and at the time were about £600. My system comprises of Cyrus CD X t SE, with PSX-R, DAC XP with PSX-R and 2 x. Mono X's. How much should I be looking to spend to get the balance right with the system I have? Let's say it is between 2 and 3 k, what should I be auditioning? Many thanks.
Mark

The Far North

Re: What Speakers to audition

Postby The Far North » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Mark and welcome to the site!

Be prepared for a variety of opinions, but it would help if you could maybe tell us a bit more about the size of the room, type of music you listen to, whether they need to sound good at low volumes, stuff like that.

mickbald

Postby mickbald » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:51 pm

Are there any restrictions on the positioning of the speakers? Do they need to be tight in the corner or close to the rear wall?

Your current speakers are quite small IIRC, is that a consideration?

And would you consider used speakers. For that budget it opens up many options.

2Cyruson
One+

Postby 2Cyruson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:35 am

Hi Mark,
there are for sure many possibilities with that amount. I changed myself last year from an epos es12 to a proac tablette ref8 sig.
What a big step up!

Thomas
pre vs2+psxr , x-power+psxr2
heos link , parasound cdp 1000 , goldnote dac7
proac tablette ref.8 sig

mmidd69
Five+

Postby mmidd69 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Room is 4.5 x 6.0 metres. I like dance, pop and soft rock music. Listening at low volumes would be a bonus.
Cheers,
Mark

mmidd69
Five+

Postby mmidd69 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:15 am

Hi,
Yes they will need to be positioned fairly close to a back wall and I would consider second hand speakers.
Cheers for your help.
Mark

jobseeker

Postby jobseeker » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 am

I've used PMC very successfully with Cyrus. Current flavour of the month is the Twenty Five series, but don't ignore the Fact 3.

zippy

Postby zippy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:03 am

I wish you luck - I've been looking for potential new speakers for ages but most dealers seem to have a limited stock, mostly PMC (which I personally don't like).

I used to have AE1's a long time ago and I remember them as being a bit harsh, also they seemed better in a small room.

I did have some ELAC's which were really good, and I've always been a fan of the bigger KEF models.

I guess if you need them to work close to a rear wall that also limits you to mainly front ported models.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

mickbald

Postby mickbald » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 am

mmidd69 wrote:Hi,
Yes they will need to be positioned fairly close to a back wall and I would consider second hand speakers.
Cheers for your help.
Mark

Then sealed units would be best. Have look at ATC SCM range. I have a pair of SCM40's which work fine close to the rear wall. You might find a used pair of those within your budget.

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:59 am

mmidd69 wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Room is 4.5 x 6.0 metres. I like dance, pop and soft rock music. Listening at low volumes would be a bonus.
Cheers,
Mark

My room is smaller than yours and I don't play dance music, so I'm guessing my Spendor A6 (or the R version) wouldn't be exciting enough for you. Bags of detail though. ;)

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:41 pm

Echo above thoughts although I am a PMC man (love the 21's) but a word of caution. I too had your speakers and of the many speakers I have owned over the years the AE1's are the only speakers I regret selling. Yes, they are a bit harsh, a bit 'in your face' but you will struggle to find a replacement that satisfies after the initial rush. Have you tried them with a sub?

2Cyruson
One+

Postby 2Cyruson » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:52 pm

There are some speakers they match with cyrus, you have to decide with your ears.
Thomas
pre vs2+psxr , x-power+psxr2
heos link , parasound cdp 1000 , goldnote dac7
proac tablette ref.8 sig

Goldalene

Postby Goldalene » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:11 pm

I have to have my speakers against a wall in a modest room and I'm very pleased after upgrading to second hand B&W PM1s.

GeeGee

Postby GeeGee » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:22 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:Echo above thoughts although I am a PMC man (love the 21's) but a word of caution. I too had your speakers and of the many speakers I have owned over the years the AE1's are the only speakers I regret selling. Yes, they are a bit harsh, a bit 'in your face' but you will struggle to find a replacement that satisfies after the initial rush. Have you tried them with a sub?

I agree. I heard them at a show on the end of a monster Krell amp 25 years ago and they sounded superb. £600 20 years ago is a lot today, so you will need a big budget. I suggest you try better amps before you give up on them.

mmidd69
Five+

Postby mmidd69 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. It is good to have an idea about what others think. Most interesting observation from minicoupeman and GeeGee that my existing speakers are perhaps not letting the side down as I suspected. I never thought of a sub, this would certainly give better base which is always difficult for such small speakers. GeeGee put the cat amongst the pigeons suggesting better amps. I am a Cyrus fan so would X200's instead of my mono X's be a worthwhile investment, as an alternative?
Thanks for your continued support.
Mark

Return to “General Discussion”