Has anyone heard the Oppo Sonica dac/streamer?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
The Far North

Has anyone heard the Oppo Sonica dac/streamer?

Postby The Far North » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 am

There's a review of this in the May HiFi World giving it the full 5 globes and describing it as a bit of a steal at £799. It is both a dac and a streamer, and it's described as half-width, although that seems to be wider than Cyrus kit. It seems to tick most of the boxes for a product of this type, with the only caveat being that it isn't a warm sound and "errs towards the neutral with the emphasis on extracting as much musical information as possible", perhaps not a dealbreaker for Cyrus fans?

https://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Has anyone heard the Oppo Sonica dac/streamer?

Postby callen24 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 am

and the audiocom version is just £900 more
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

threepoint8

Postby threepoint8 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 am

I've not heard but read in a number of discussions, one of them in CA.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/foru ... 16/?page=3

"out the box it bested the *PS Audio DirectStream ($5999.00) by a wide margin"

Joe

Postby Joe » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 pm

callen24 wrote:and the audiocom version is just £900 more

Do these mods make much of a difference? I was looking at their Reference UDP-203 but decided to pre-order a 205 instead.
Michell Gyro Dec, Tecnoarm, Ortofon Rondo Blue, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, CDXT Sig, Chord Hugo TT.
MFA Classic v2, Chord SPM 1050 MkII, PMC Twenty 26.

David H

Postby David H » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:45 pm

The Far North wrote:it isn't a warm sound and "errs towards the neutral with the emphasis on extracting as much musical information as possible", perhaps not a dealbreaker for Cyrus fans?

Here I go banging the same old drum again...

How can anything "err towards the neutral?" Surely neutrality in SQ should not be labelled as an error? I just don't like 'err' in that sentence.

IMHO neutrality is one of the great things about Cyrus products. For me, neutrality is the holy grail of sound reproduction. If you want a product that produces warmth, biased sound, euphonic distortion, then fine, that's your right. I'm not knocking it. But why should we assume that kit that sounds neutral and detailed, minimising distortion is erroneous or somehow inferior? Unless we're saying that 'warmth' was somehow lost in the recording stage and we now need kit to heat the music back up again with some distortion.

Rant over. :-[

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:52 pm

David H wrote:
The Far North wrote:it isn't a warm sound and "errs towards the neutral with the emphasis on extracting as much musical information as possible", perhaps not a dealbreaker for Cyrus fans?

How can anything "err towards the neutral?" Surely neutrality in SQ should not be labelled as an error? I just don't like 'err' in that sentence.

IMHO neutrality is one of the great things about Cyrus products. For me, neutrality is the holy grail of sound reproduction. If you want a product that produces warmth, biased sound, euphonic distortion, then fine, that's your right. I'm not knocking it. But why should we assume that kit that sounds neutral and detailed, minimising distortion is erroneous or somehow inferior? Unless we're saying that 'warmth' was somehow lost in the recording stage and we now need kit to heat the music back up again with some distortion.

To be fair David, the bit before that I didn't quote said "the Sonica probably won't be for those who prefer a warmer sound with the edges softened. It instead errs......." which is still going to bug you, but I guess the review has to cater for all tastes? ;)

David H

Postby David H » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:01 pm

You're right; that's better, with more context. Probably my fault for not reading the full review to which you referred.

Good excuse for me to have my usual rant anyway. ;)

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 pm

David H wrote:

Neutral = 'I don't really mean neutral, I mean lean and or thin, but I haven't the balls to say so'.

The Far North

Postby The Far North » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:48 pm

crimsondonkey wrote:Neutral = 'I don't really mean neutral, I mean lean and or thin, but I haven't the balls to say so'.

The comments in the computeraudiophile link in threepoint8's post above tend to suggest you may be getting closer to the mark, but it does seem to take a bit of running in before it gives its best.

eastcoast

Postby eastcoast » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:01 pm

Gosh, those CA threads get heated!

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:08 am

eastcoast wrote:Gosh, those CA threads get heated!

Nerds can get frustrated quite easily if people choose not to agree with them! Nothing that the (unlikely) touch of a woman wouldn't alleviate...

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 pm

crimsondonkey wrote:
eastcoast wrote:Gosh, those CA threads get heated!

Nerds can get frustrated quite easily if people choose not to agree with them! Nothing that the (unlikely) touch of a woman wouldn't alleviate...

Or exacerbate!
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

fixitagis
Addicted
Addicted

Postby fixitagis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:06 pm

Nerds are cool again, women are throwing themselves at us (or at least their undies) apparently. I think it hapened to me last week, but i only noticed when it was far too late.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:50 pm

fixitagis wrote:Nerds are cool again, women are throwing themselves at us (or at least their undies) apparently. I think it hapened to me last week, but i only noticed when it was far too late.

You're lucky then. It hasn't happened to me for over 10 years! Maybe I mix with the wrong (or should that be right) women? Hey ho.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:42 pm

Even if it sounds sublime some people might find that it has too few inputs for their liking.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

Return to “General Discussion”