Upgrade

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
MiniCoupeman

Upgrade

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Ok so I finally have funds(and time) to improve my already very good system (room and taste caveats). I am ordering a Hi Fi racks stand for my kit (ex turntable) but it is on reviews and reputation only, has anyone experience of these? I honestly don't think my hearing or memory is sufficiently good to remember what I expect to be a difference, between the time I strip my present system to install it again on the Hi Fi racks stuff. Gotta be day out. But in the past I have excepted that that stands make a difference.
I am also looking for a new, last, cartridge, and you can't demo these. Reviews lead me to a Lyra Delos but what else should I consider ( my local Hi Fi man recommend a Benz at £500 but would this really improve on my £300 Ortofon Blue?
Comments appreciated.
Oh and I am still having trouble with my Melco. As previously stated. Plug and Play it is not but the sound is very very good.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Upgrade

Postby hifinutt » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:23 pm

really like hi fi racks stuff . using the podium , its really great having the flexibility to have different size legs to accommodate different gear . that helps when you are a box swapper .

no idea if it helps sonically as use loads of br , springs etc as well
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:09 pm

I have two separate HiFi Racks stands. One is a narrow Podium Reference that hosts my daughter's XBox and PS4 plus my LP12 on the isolation shelf on the top and my Dino, its PSU and my Lingo on the shelf below. I've also got an Podium XL (V) TV stand which holds the TV and all my other hifi components. They're incredibly solid and pretty well made. I love mine. And, as hifinutt says, if your components change you can buy replacement legs of a different height to suit your new system. I've done that once so far.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

mfin

Postby mfin » Mon May 01, 2017 9:58 am

I'd consider one of these, this specific one http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/c/hifi-racks_evoque-eco-special-edition-series

It's great, and if you like or don't mind the aesthetics it is well worth considering. Leg heights can be changed about too.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 am

MiniCoupeman wrote:I am also looking for a new, last, cartridge, and you can't demo these. Reviews lead me to a Lyra Delos but what else should I consider ( my local Hi Fi man recommend a Benz at £500 but would this really improve on my £300 Ortofon Blue?

Strongest recommendation I can give is for a Hana SL. Its my back up cartridge to a Lyra Titan i. I seriously doubt there's a more balanced and capable cartridge under £1-1.2k, its that good. It costs about £500.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks. Seen good reviews and always happy to save money.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 am

I understand the logic that stands for speakers and turntables have an affect, but never really convinced by expensive stands for other components. Also going round Scalford listening to kit on 'hifi' stands vs in some cases black 'n decker Workmates I can't say I ever recall thinking that all the systems on hifi stands sounded better than the ones that weren't.

Then again I have no expectation so maybe that's why? Or I'm deaf? Or none of these systems were transparent enough? :) . I've come to the conclusion that I'm no longer paranoid enough to worry about this kind of thing, or whether I'm missing out on something. I'd probably pick the one that looked nicest!

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Mon May 01, 2017 1:09 pm

For bespoke stands/racks have a word with Oli at Oxford Rustic Furniture. He makes his brilliant furniture out of reclaimed scaffold boards to pretty much any design at a fraction of the cost of some of the "hifi" alternatives. It is strong, heavy & rigid, looks excellent & highly recommended.

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:38 pm

crimsondonkey wrote:
MiniCoupeman wrote:I am also looking for a new, last, cartridge, and you can't demo these. Reviews lead me to a Lyra Delos but what else should I consider ( my local Hi Fi man recommend a Benz at £500 but would this really improve on my £300 Ortofon Blue?

Strongest recommendation I can give is for a Hana SL. Its my back up cartridge to a Lyra Titan i. I seriously doubt there's a more balanced and capable cartridge under £1-1.2k, its that good. It costs about £500.

I absolutely agree with the Hana SL recommendation. I use one as a back-up to my Cadenza Black. Sometimes feel that the Hana has the edge.
Source:StreamXSig,CDXTSig,Phono Sig+PSX-R,
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
Amplifier:DACXP Sig+PSX-R2,2xMonoX300 Sig
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:Arcam rHead, OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature speaker.
Atlas Mavros XLR,Chord Shawline XLR,Chord Indigo tuned Aray,Chord Indigo+,2xML Binary Star,Optichord.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Tue May 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Are these easy to fit? Few distributors so probably buying on line if I take the plunge.

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Not especially hard to fit but like all good cartridges, careful set-up has its rewards.
Source:StreamXSig,CDXTSig,Phono Sig+PSX-R,
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
Amplifier:DACXP Sig+PSX-R2,2xMonoX300 Sig
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:Arcam rHead, OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature speaker.
Atlas Mavros XLR,Chord Shawline XLR,Chord Indigo tuned Aray,Chord Indigo+,2xML Binary Star,Optichord.

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Tue May 09, 2017 7:45 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:Are these easy to fit? Few distributors so probably buying on line if I take the plunge.

Very easy to fit and align. There are distributors you can pick the phone up to - pm me if you want a recommendation for good service.

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Wed May 10, 2017 5:15 am

Thanks. Decision time at w/e

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed May 10, 2017 9:15 am

I have Optimum Rack with glass shelves. It did make a massive improvement over my Vintage Target rack. Yes I know glass shelves are out of fashion but they still look nice. You can get different leg lengths and multiple shelves if you think that your system sounds better if you have more boxes.

There are loads of them on eBay at really low prices if you can find one near you to pick up. Go for wood posts if you can as metal ones can corrode.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:34 pm

if vinyl is your main source then cart upgrade seems to fit with convention
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

Return to “General Discussion”