Auralic again ..G Series

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Auralic again ..G Series

Postby maro73 » Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello folks
Seems that auralic is climbing the ladder in terms of price .. in terms of sound ?
New products have been announced .. wow quite expensive
The AURALiC G Series Components
ARIES G2 Streaming Transporter ($3899 in the US, and €4199/£3899 in Europe (local VAT included) available September 2017)
VEGA G2 Streaming DAC ($5699 in the US, and €6299/£5499 in Europe (local VAT included) available September 2017)
SIRIUS G2 Upsampling Processor ($TBD) and LEO G2 Femto Reference Clock ($TBD)

That's good news for old auralic owners .. there won't be loss of money
UPgrade will be too costly in my opinion
Cheers

Rune

Re: Auralic again ..G Series

Postby Rune » Thu May 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Upsampling processor why?

Roon can do that with a cheap computer. But I know most will not pay for software.
But will on the other hand pay over the top for hardware bundled with Mediocre software because the perceived value seems greater.
Guess that was a rant ;D
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: Onkyo TX-NR818, 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Yeah , I never understood all the mess with upsampling , over sampling etc
Personally , the Vega DAC was not my cup of tea
I Wonder how good the G series would be .. seems that computers are getting more and more expensive ..
Still I am eager to have a listen to the G series
Cheers

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 pm

Heard at Munich - the tranporter into the steaming DAC. Not sure why you need both for streaming as the DAC seems to stream without the transporter. No upsampler nor super duper clock box in the system. Sounded good. The boxes look a lot nicer too.

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:03 am

Hello
I guess that that they are making the transporter to replace the Aries
The DAC is an all in one module ...
I am fazed by how expensive everything is tending to be ...
Were there some new products from Lumin at Munich show ?
Cheers

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Fri May 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Seen the new series of Auralic at Munich; Rune said they were quite a bit more expensive - but must admit did not see price increases like these coming. The units are in far more robust casing and noticed the external clock as well. Ah well.... will continue to hunt for something to replace my sbt.

Rune

Postby Rune » Fri May 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Forget about Auralic, Lumin, Aurender, Melco etc for streaming.

Roon is what is worth getting. Now you can either build a Roon server or shortly pay more and get a Roon Branded NUC(Nucleus) in a nice fanles case.
Then you need a RoonReady DAC or a RoonBridge like a RPI or commercial a Sonore MicroRendu etc.

It will be cheaper and much better.

SimonJ
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SimonJ » Fri May 26, 2017 6:25 pm

Rune wrote:Forget about Auralic, Lumin, Aurender, Melco etc for streaming.

Roon is what is worth getting. Now you can either build a Roon server or shortly pay more and get a Roon Branded NUC(Nucleus) in a nice fanles case.
Then you need a RoonReady DAC or a RoonBridge like a RPI or commercial a Sonore MicroRendu etc.

It will be cheaper and much better.

Agree and direction I am taking
Main system: GyroDec>Dynavector XX2MK2>Auralic Aries>Pimped DDDAC 1794>Coherant 4d>TE Vibe & Pulse PSU>Coherant 4D & 4D Mains>Sugden Sapphire FBA-800 & 4D Mains>Coherant 4D Speaker Cable>Focal 1028
Office - DIY System: MMStreamer>DDDAC>KT88 Valve Amp>Focal 1008

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri May 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Much better? You sure? My Melco sounds excellent and while I haven't tried Rune a fellow CU'er did and he dumped it after only a few days. He was running it through good kit too. I have tried software solutions - Amarra - Audionvaner etc. They improved on plain vanilla but are not a patch on the Melco.

Rune

Postby Rune » Fri May 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Or maybe he dumped it because he don't see value in paying for great software and would rather pay for expensive hardware with mediocre software.
Or it was because how it was connected to the DAC eg. running RoonCore (server) and RoonBridge (client) on the same computer and directly connected it to the DAC which is not hte best way for SQ.

The best way is to use a RoonReady streamer or even a RPI which is less noisy than a computer because it has to do very litte processing.

A good UI that lets me enjoy listening to music and discover new or my own music is way more important than subjective SQ differences which might only be there because of expectation bias.

Some might think that Roon is expensive, but it is really not when you consider that you can build a server now with ROCK released today and either use a RPI or a commercial streamer like Sonore MicroRendu or any of the other RoonReady DAC/Streamers.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 am

No, he dumped it because he really didn't like the software interface at all, couldn't see any point in paying for the software that add d nothing to his current set up, both in usability and audio.

I seem to remember, at the time, the specs needed for a NAS to run the server meant that things certainly weren't going to end up being cheap either.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

Rune

Postby Rune » Sat May 27, 2017 9:44 am

The problem is that we are used to a primitive file structure presentation.

When I first tried Roon I thought that iPeng was better, but not after awhile when I got used to the Roon UI.

Fair enough we each choose our own path. But I can see that the Melco is not cheap and I wonder where they get those Audio Grade SSD drives from ;D
That is just marketing fluff (snake oil)

I am just wondering why it is easier to see value in overprice HiFi branded Hardware in a nice case than in good software.

A NAS is the wrong way to go it is actually better to just use a USB drive attached to a NUC.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat May 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Actually, if I remember correctly, and this is going back maybe to last August, my problem was that Roon decided that it would be a good idea to suggest to me something that I might like to listen to, and did this in a banner in the UI taking up half the screen.

I've just checked the Roon site again, because I know things can change. I see that Roon describes itself as a searchable magazine for my music. Well, no thanks, I don't want a searchable magazine for my music. I actually quite like my music listed by Album Artist. Funnily enough, that's exactly how I store my vinyl and CDs, so for my simple mind it makes sense that way.

I know Roon is raved about in some quarters, I just didn't like it's UI, simple. Nothing to do with software price, nothing to do with hardware, after all, my hardware is Roon compatible. The reason there are many solutions to get to the end goal, is that people have different requirements and preferences.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

allhifi
One+

Postby allhifi » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:45 am

Rune wrote:Upsampling processor why?

Roon can do that with a cheap computer. But I know most will not pay for software.
But will on the other hand pay over the top for hardware bundled with Mediocre software because the perceived value seems greater.
Guess that was a rant ;D

lol, You have not seen a "rant" until I unleash one of my mine !

Your query: "Why Up-sampling Processor" ? There are a few engineer's/company's (Esoteric, MSB, others and now Auralic) that surely must know a 'thing or a dozen' more than non-audiophile computer programmer's --as bright as they are.

I've not really experienced such "Up-samplers", but I imagine it must improve (substantially?) SQ for it to exist. Sure, there will be a few who purchase because they can, but 95% of remaining sales must surely go to passionate audiophiles.

The same would apply to Auralic's upcoming (separate box) Femto Clock "re-generator".

peter jasz

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am

rune, perhaps on a new thread you could give links etc to the different elements of the system you are proposing, using roon.
As many of us have NAS, and dacs that are not roon ready the cost seems higher than you think it is.
There seem to be quite a few different elements in the set up you espouse .
is there a one box to set up solution.
Not everyone wants to spend time on settings etc. For example i had two sd cards of 128gb of music, but lots of duplication, the straightforward task of splitting them into 2, with artists A to J on one, and J to Z on the other was a pain.
This is why people are prepared to pay more for hardware, i think
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

Return to “General Discussion”