Streaming options

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Hasselblad100

Streaming options

Postby Hasselblad100 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:24 pm

Hi

I currently have a Naim DAC-V1 feeding 2 x Mono x200 Sigs. I use a CD XT sig for the source...or TIDAL over USB from a Mac.

Thinking about getting a streamer as TIDAL Masters is good and convenient.

I borrowed a Stream x sig a while back and was underwhelmed at the sound compared to the cdxtsig, even when playing high res files off a USB stick.

I'm considering something like a Naim 272 and losing the DAC-V1 altogether. Does anyone have any thoughts on how the 272 would compare the to the V1 as a pre_DAC?...and also other non-Naim/Cyrus options for the streamer.

I'd probably have £3k max to play with. I would reluctantly be prepared to sell the cdxtsig if it enabled a streaming solution that sounded on a par with it.

Cheers for your thoughts

zippy

Re: Streaming options

Postby zippy » Sat May 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Hasselblad100 wrote:Hi

I borrowed a Stream x sig a while back and was underwhelmed at the sound compared to the cdxtsig, even when playing high res files off a USB stick.

Cheers for your thoughts

I find that the results when playing files from USB (on my StreamX Signature) are significantly poorer in sound quality than when playing files streamed through a home network.
Having said that I don't find many differences between streamers, but to me the 'cd sound' is different to the 'streamed sound'.
Maybe, like many people, you just prefer the sound of a CD, in which case maybe not worth your investing in a streamer at all ?
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:27 pm

do you need streaming?
I suspect there are few streamers that can match the cd sig
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sat May 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Probably best going the whole hog and changing to nac n 272 > 250dr. Naim preamps always best with naim powers.
Or keep what you have and adding nd5xs
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sat May 27, 2017 6:31 pm

Or use your mac! Buy appropriate software https://audirvana.com/
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2

Rune

Postby Rune » Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 pm

If you want to listen to Tidal masters which is a good idea, you should get a dac that supports MQA and Roon 8)
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: Onkyo TX-NR818, 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sat May 27, 2017 8:52 pm

No need, OP already owns a dac that can be firmware upgraded. If Naim deem it appropriate to support it, then they will add it. Naim already integrate Tidal.

Rune

Postby Rune » Sat May 27, 2017 9:40 pm

THe ability to support Tidal and MQA is not the same thing. Hardware MQA (best SQ) is only possible if the right XMOS processor is there and might not have been available when the DAC was designed.
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: Onkyo TX-NR818, 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub

Hasselblad100

Postby Hasselblad100 » Sun May 28, 2017 5:40 am

Thanks for responses.

The 272/250 option is too expensive for me, even if I went second hand. I wouldn't get enough for my x200 sigs.

"Do I need streaming?"... good question. Hard-wiring the mac to the V1 is an ugly solution for me so a streamer would resolve that. It may be that I keep the cd and spend 1-2k on the streamer just to hear Tidal at a respectable quality.

Part of the the 272-related thinking was to see if it's a better pre-Dac combo than the V1. I only stumbled across the V1 when AudioT gave me one to compare against a dacxpsig for a weekend. I was astonished at how much I preferred the Naim.

I'm borrowing a 272 next weekend.

Paul

zippy

Postby zippy » Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 am

Again I would say there's a big difference in sound (not necessarily quality) between Naim and Cyrus and maybe you're confusing the issue by trying to mix the two. I happen not to like the NAIM sound so have gone in a different direction. For you maybe bite the bullet and go one way or the other, Naim or Cyrus, but not a mixture.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 am

In my experience, there isnt a big difference between current cyrus and current naim, at least at the bottom of the naim ladder which is where cyrus compete. Olive and chrome bumper naim is flat earth naim and different from current naim which can be much more organic.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sun May 28, 2017 10:22 am

Rune wrote:THe ability to support Tidal and MQA is not the same thing. Hardware MQA (best SQ) is only possible if the right XMOS processor is there and might not have been available when the DAC was designed.

Naim already natively support tidal, and indeed tidal support was added to existing hardware via firmware update. Naim therefore consider tidal to be a service worth supporting. If and when Naim deem mqa support to be worth doing, they will release support via a firmware update. Mqa support is technically possible across the existing product range, and that includes the latest uniti range being rolled out in 2017.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sun May 28, 2017 10:33 am

Back to Hasselblad's question, i would repeat my suggestion of ysing your mac. Ok you think it would be ugly, but it gets you up and running for not much money. Buy software, connect mac to dac v1 and off you go. If you like it, explore a preferable alternative, if you dont then money saved.
Uniti core into dac v1 might be a good option for you.

Hasselblad100

Postby Hasselblad100 » Sun May 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Use of mac ties up the laptop so I'd need to buy another dedicated machine. Sonically it's okay and I was not able to hear any significant benefit from the Streamxsig by comparison. The ugly aspect involves the need to site the mac close to the hifi rack and have it cabled.

I don't buy the xyz works better with xyz argument since the £3k dacxp dig was hammered by the v1 when comparing all the music I threw at them for a few days of testing...but ymmv applies to all hi-fi doesn't it?

In the end I'll borrow the 272 and test, maybe also the 250DR, and compare.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Sun May 28, 2017 6:14 pm

I wasnt suggesting using the mac as a permanent solution, you might not like streaming over playing cd.
If your mac laptop works well, then you could look at a mac mini to use headless and dedicated to streaming.
Another suggestion, auralic aries mini.

Return to “General Discussion”