Blown or damaged Gamut L3 speakers - HELP.

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
pump22

Blown or damaged Gamut L3 speakers - HELP.

Postby pump22 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Hi All,

A word of advice is needed please.

I was having a party last night and when the others in the house said turn up the music.... My drunken wife, decided to crank the volume completely round to the right and it went to -2 volume level on the screen. The speakers or just one of the made a god almighty sound and then when I turned it down as quickly as possible, there is no sound from the main mid / bass driver from the left hand speaker.

I've tried changing over the speaker connections from the power amp to see if that meant the one channel was blown from that, but the driver was still not working.

The lovely high driver works and there is sound from it and both of the drivers work on the right hand speaker.

Now I know it is a scanspeak revelation driver unit and can be bought for about £170, but do you think the driver has completely blown, or could it be the crossover not allowing the signal to the main driver?

Obviously the wife is not happy about it and keeps apologising, but I'd like to try and get it sorted asap and at a reasonable cost.

Your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated and any words of wisdom will be listened to.

Phil

mojo

Re: Blown or damaged Gamut L3 speakers - HELP.

Postby mojo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:18 pm

In my experience it's generally more common for the speaker's voice coil to fail than components in the crossover, but it's not a certainty.

The only way you'll know for sure is to remove the drivers and test them (or remove the crossover and test it). It should not be hard to do - just take your time and note the polarity of the wiring so that you can put it (or its replacement) back in connected correctly.

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Agree with mojo. Remove the driver, check the resistance which should be 4, 6 or 8 ohm (check spec) If it is open or short circuit it is knackered. Crossovers rarely blow but it is possible.

Have you got any speaker driver to hand? If you have, connect it across the disconnected driver cables, turn the volume right down and then up very slowly to see if any sound is coming out. If it is the crossover is ok. Don't turn it up in case you overload it and cause more problems.

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:52 am

Probably preaching to the converted so apologies if I am...

Before you remove the crossover or disconnect wires to the speakers, label the wires and take some pictures with your phone. This has saved my bacon on many occasions in the IT world when sorting out cable messes on switches, or replacing dud components in a server/comms rack.
(cd xt se > ml binary star i/c) + (NAS > LAN network) > primare pre60 > atlas hyper i/c > primare a60 > atlas hyper 2.0 > vienna acoustics concert grand

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:14 am

Surely you should take advantage of your wife's guilt and order some new and even more expensive speakers..
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

pump22

Postby pump22 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:55 am

I have already been getting her to see if we can claim on the insurance, as new £4k speakers would be great!

But the finish and sound from the Gamut's is wonderful and the look of the maple finish is wonderful.]

I've got in touch with Scan speak to see if they know which 4ohm driver is in the speakers as will get the wife to get one for me to try, as I do not have a driver sitting around.

Would any 4ohm driver work as a trial by holding the correct wires against the terminals?

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:39 am

pump22 wrote:Would any 4ohm driver work as a trial by holding the correct wires against the terminals?

Yes, but be very careful not to short out the wires. Make sure the amp is switched off when disconnecting and connecting and keep the volume to a minimum. It would also be safe to use a 8 ohm speaker but not to use a lower resistance speaker (if one exists).

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm

I would find out who the UK distributor is, or contact Gamut directly, they might surprise you and fix for not much £. Worth a shot.
+44 (0)118 981 4238
info@soundfowndations.co.uk
www.soundfowndations.co.uk
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Nait XS / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

pump22

Postby pump22 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:11 am

I got in touch with them yesterday and they wanted 410 pounds plus 50 pounds for shipping. They said gamut would be rebuilding the driver and would ship it back. As the scan speak drivers are only 170 pounds online, is there any difference between the gamut ones and the other one?

Or could I just buy one direct from scan speak and fit it?
Cyrus XT Sig / DAC Xp+ &  Psx-r2 / Nord 1up Mono / Pro-Ject Classic / Gamut L3.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:56 am

If the "old" one can be rebuilt, can someone in the uk do it rather than gamut themselves?
I did a quick search and results suggest the l3 woofer is standard scanspeak rather than a scanspeak built exclusively for gamut.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Nait XS / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Next party get a sub-woofer and tell your wife to turn that up instead..
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

pump22

Postby pump22 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Exactly what I thought, it is an off the shelf part from scan speak, and it is the 7in version.

There are 2 or 3 7in revelator 4 ohm midwoofers, so I need to look at the exact spec sheets and try to pick the new one.

Next time, I will just get a new wife....... Although Im on number 2 as it is ;)

Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Have you taken the old one out? The model details will be on there.

pump22

Postby pump22 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:37 pm

I've had a look and the scan speak sticker has been taken off and replaced with a gamut one, so I can't directly order the correct part. Will have to look through the specifications and sizes on them to get the right part unfortunately.

Phil

pump22

Postby pump22 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm trying to find out if it's the 15w or 18w version of the midwoofer, don't suppose anyone knows.... On the off chance?

Return to “General Discussion”