What speaker cables for Cyrus amps?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
dan.s
Five+

What speaker cables for Cyrus amps?

Postby dan.s » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:33 pm

I'm running an x-power with a naim nac 272 using naca5 cables and a Cyrus analog interconnect.
I've tried Dnm Reson which brought the system to life. So my question is: how come the naca5 is so bad with cyrus amplification?

Thanks in advance.

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Re: What speaker cables for Cyrus amps?

Postby clive197 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:55 am

That's a bit like asking why a BMW engine won't work well in a Mercedes. Both Naim and Cyrus are both great British companies but that doesn't mean that they will work well together, as they both have very different ideologies. The naca5 cables were designed to work in a complete Naim system and in that scenario they do the job very well.

As for which speaker cable to use in your system is any bodies guess. Your going to have to try a few different cables yourself to see which one rocks your boat, so now is the time to ask your friendly dealer if you can borrow some cables as there won't be any right or wrong answers and it will be down to your personal taste.
Source:StreamXSig,CDXTSig,Phono Sig+PSX-R,
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black, OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
Amplifier:DACXP Sig+PSX-R2,2xMonoX300 Sig
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:Arcam rHead, OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature speaker.
Atlas Mavros XLR,Chord Shawline XLR,Chord Indigo tuned Aray,Chord Indigo+,2xML Binary Star,Optichord.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:51 pm

you could try some of this excellent cable

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=202658
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
verity audio Rienzi speakers , cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:32 pm

modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:28 am

Probably something to do with the high inductance of naca5.
Fyi cyrus branded speaker cable is based on dnm reson.
Usual suspects like chord, vdh, kimber etc work well with cyrus. Best avoid qed.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Nait XS / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 am

Alright I read the whole roger-russell article ( how many have? - he does go on) and compared it my own experience. Not at home - too many variables - but as previously reported, at a demo by Chord. They had a 'set' system. I forget the amplifier but the speakers were KEF Ref1 and source was a Chord DAVE. They clearly demonstrated a change in (improvement in?) sound as they changed wires. In this case interconnect wires but surely the principle must be the same for as for speakers? And no mention of RFI. Can't have been a big factor when when Macintosh did their demo back in the 80's.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 am

if you are happy with Dnm reson, why not stay with it? O0
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:Alright I read the whole roger-russell article ( how many have? - he does go on) and compared it my own experience. Not at home - too many variables - but as previously reported, at a demo by Chord. They had a 'set' system. I forget the amplifier but the speakers were KEF Ref1 and source was a Chord DAVE. They clearly demonstrated a change in (improvement in?) sound as they changed wires. In this case interconnect wires but surely the principle must be the same for as for speakers? And no mention of RFI. Can't have been a big factor when when Macintosh did their demo back in the 80's.

Of course Chord can produce audible differences in a demo - they're a sales driven company so they'd be pretty useless and in the wrong business if they couldn't. The clues to how they did that are in the quoted Roger Russell article; combined with the human ears capacity to detect differences in relative loudness as little as 0.1db, and the human brains facility to attribute these small increases in loudness as different/ better.

Other very big 'high end' cable companies have been caught out in the States for manufacturing demos with tuned cables with slightly varied resistance into a known speaker load. It's not big, it's not clever, but it is profitable, especially when your loyal customers swear by them.

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:08 pm

crimsondonkey wrote:
MiniCoupeman wrote:Alright I read the whole roger-russell article ( how many have? - he does go on) and compared it my own experience. Not at home - too many variables - but as previously reported, at a demo by Chord. They had a 'set' system. I forget the amplifier but the speakers were KEF Ref1 and source was a Chord DAVE. They clearly demonstrated a change in (improvement in?) sound as they changed wires. In this case interconnect wires but surely the principle must be the same for as for speakers? And no mention of RFI. Can't have been a big factor when when Macintosh did their demo back in the 80's.

Of course Chord can produce audible differences in a demo - they're a sales driven company so they'd be pretty useless and in the wrong business if they couldn't. The clues to how they did that are in the quoted Roger Russell article; combined with the human ears capacity to detect differences in relative loudness as little as 0.1db, and the human brains facility to attribute these small increases in loudness as different/ better.

Other very big 'high end' cable companies have been caught out in the States for manufacturing demos with tuned cables with slightly varied resistance into a known speaker load. It's not big, it's not clever, but it is profitable, especially when your loyal customers swear by them.

I haven't read the article yet, but will do so as it looks interesting. However, I did a search on the word "Chord" and there are no instances of that word in the article. Whilst there may be other evidence pointing to Chord cheating in demos, I think its a bit dodgy to accuse them of doing so. As I recall they had to remove or re-word some of their promotional materials but I don't remember any evidence of cheating in demos.

I've experience their speaker cable demo and didn't see any evidence of them "cheating" with the volume control - in fact they made a point of making sure everyone could see the volume level reading and of not touching the volume control at all. Differences could be heard between the speakers cables - which you would prefer is a matter for your own judgement. Maybe the cables are "butchered" to create the difference in sound, but may be, just imagine it for a moment, they're not!

Starwarsmike2422

Postby Starwarsmike2422 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Sounds like I should be buying the demo cables then! ;D
SME 20 Turntable - SME V (Ikeda wire) - Van Den Hul Colibri XPG
ASR Basis Exclusive Phonostage
ASR Emitter II Blue Amplifier
Cyrus Signature Streamer & DAC
Wilson Benesch Trinity Speakers -Wilson Benesch Centre
Wilson Benesch Torus Ultrasonic Generator

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:28 pm

sunbeamgls wrote:
I haven't read the article yet, but will do so as it looks interesting. However, I did a search on the word "Chord" and there are no instances of that word in the article. Whilst there may be other evidence pointing to Chord cheating in demos, I think its a bit dodgy to accuse them of doing so. As I recall they had to remove or re-word some of their promotional materials but I don't remember any evidence of cheating in demos.

I've experience their speaker cable demo and didn't see any evidence of them "cheating" with the volume control - in fact they made a point of making sure everyone could see the volume level reading and of not touching the volume control at all. Differences could be heard between the speakers cables - which you would prefer is a matter for your own judgement. Maybe the cables are "butchered" to create the difference in sound, but may be, just imagine it for a moment, they're not!

Few clarifications required -

1. I didn't say Chord were quoted in the article
2. I didn't accuse them of cheating - I said that they can obviously produce audible differences in their demos (otherwise they wouldn't do them)
3. I said 'other companies' clearly indicating organisations other than Chord
4. Re demo and hands off volume control - if you read the article you'll see how different cables effectively become the volume control and can replicate the same effect

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:18 pm

just in case anyone wants some bargain chord cables then here are some

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=203534
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 am

if you aren't buying secondhand i suggest van dame OFC 4mm.
Yes you get difference if you spend a lot of money, but i suggest that money is better spent on hardware or more music
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

Return to “General Discussion”