Hifi Show Cranage Hall, Cheshire. 24/25 June 2017

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
sunbeamgls

Hifi Show Cranage Hall, Cheshire. 24/25 June 2017

Postby sunbeamgls » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am

Its free. Good venue,

I'll be there on Saturday. Any one else going?

GeeGee

Re: Hifi Show Cranage Hall, Cheshire. 24/25 June 2017

Postby GeeGee » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 pm

Hope to make Sunday.

davidf
Hifi Dealers
Hifi Dealers

Postby davidf » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:44 pm

I'll be helping out Auden Distribution (Amphion, among others), so pop in and say hi. If you want of course. No pressure. I'll understand if you don't.

:)

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 pm

I liked:

ELAC
Pearl Acoustics
Icon Audio playing their 10k horn/ 15" speakers
Nagra digital R2R / MFA pre / Quad amps / Graham
One of the AN rooms (but not the other one)
Primare and Revel (both speakers)
3 Square Audio
Luxman into PMC FACT12
Planalogue / Ming Da / EME

That's a fairly long list for one show. I was there for 5.5 hours and didn't get round every room.

Nice to meet Davidf.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:27 pm

was david f exhibiting ?

interesting to see the rooms that impressed across the different for a . many like the mfa room/long dog audio
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

davidf
Hifi Dealers
Hifi Dealers

Postby davidf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 am

hifinutt wrote:was david f exhibiting ?

interesting to see the rooms that impressed across the different for a . many like the mfa room/long dog audio

No, I wasn't exhibiting, just lending a helping hand to Auden Distribution (Amphion). I'm considering that as an option next year though as it was a good show.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:16 pm

ah thanks david

glad you enjoyed the show . I am really looking forward to the Birmingham hi fi show later this year [replaces whittlebury I think]
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

davidf
Hifi Dealers
Hifi Dealers

Postby davidf » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:36 pm

hifinutt wrote:ah thanks david

glad you enjoyed the show . I am really looking forward to the Birmingham hi fi show later this year [replaces whittlebury I think]

Not exhibiting there either, but I'll pop along to it as I can see the venue from my window here :)

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:39 pm

I appreciate that this is very late, but I finally got around to marshalling my photos and thoughts into a blog post:

https://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.u ... -june.html

Apologies for lateness.

Galasphere347

Postby Galasphere347 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks for the review; really interesting, and to someone who couldn't be there the lateness is of no consequence. It conveys the feeling of there having been a lot to interest enthusiastic visitors - perhaps more than there has been lately at some other shows.

I hope you don't mind my mentioning, but under the Young Room, there is a repeated typo: Kalk Audio ought to be Kralk Audio. I'm really surprised you found their little speakers unlistenable. I've heard them several times at Whittlebury, and I own a pair of their floorstanders. But shows are not the greatest places to make sonic judgements. I recall looking forward to hearing the Spendor floorstanders in the Cyrus room at the Bristol show last year, as many on this forum regard Spendor highly - and how coarse and disappointing they actually seemed to me !

Thanks again.
Last edited by Galasphere347 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xa, CD Xt Sig, 8₂DAC Qx, Stereo 200, SL-1200 > SME M2-9R > Goldring 1012GX > Graham Slee Revelation M, Kralk Audio BC30-3, Van Damme Blue and Atlas cables, Isotek Evo 3 Polaris/Premier mains

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:15 am

Galasphere347 wrote:Thanks for the review; really interesting, and to someone who couldn't be there the lateness is of no consequence. It conveys the feeling of there having been a lot to interest enthusiastic visitors - perhaps more than there has been lately at some other shows.

I hope you don't mind my mentioning, but under the Young Room, there is a repeated typo: Kalk Audio ought to be Kralk Audio. I'm really surprised you found their little speakers unlistenable. I've heard them several times at Whittlebury, and I own a pair of their floorstanders. But shows are not the greatest places to make sonic judgements. I recall looking forward to hearing the Spendor floorstanders in the Cyeus room at the Bristol show last year, as many on this forum regard Spendor highly - and how coarse and disappointing they actually seemed to me !

Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback. I have corrected the typo, its useful to have these things pointed out. I was bemused though, as there's a Cyrus typo in your post - made me giggle :D

As to the Kralks - I just report what I hear. It was very extreme on this occasion, it wasn't a "hmm maybe" or "not quite for me", it was horrible, like an amateur had designed the crossovers, or the cart was running at 50% of its ideal tracking weight or something else fundamental. Its the system that is making the sound, so it might not have been the speakers.

And rooms at audio shows. I really used to believe this was a big issue for most exhibitors, but after visiting many shows, I now think this is a bit of a fallacy. Yes, there are some very difficult combinations of rooms and systems - particularly when large speakers are squeezed into small rooms. But when you think about it, that's as much a system choice issue as it is a room issue. Exhibitors know the room they've rented - why bring massive floorstanders to a bedroom, or tiny standmounts to a conference hall? At Munich there was a whole row of identical sized and constructed rooms - about 15 or so, and half the systems sounded good but the other half did not. Was that caused by the room? Or caused by the choice of system and the set up of that system? It seems unlikely to be the room, given the number of successful systems in identical rooms. I've also exhibited at Scalford 4 times (5 if you include assisting in a room) and I know that its possible to get decent results in pretty much any room, as every time we've had very good feedback - but the effort put into making a system work well in a particular room should not be underestimated. I tend to think the room thing, whilst can be an issue in unusual and difficult circumstances, is too often used as an excuse.

Galasphere347

Postby Galasphere347 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:38 pm

Oops !! ;D Oh dear, that's embarrassing...boo-boo now corrected. My excuse? I'm struggling with a new pair of varifocals this morning (picked them up last night), and it's always a few days before I get used to viewing a screen with a new prescription.

That does sound bad - not at all as I remember them from Whittlebury, and certainly not what I hear at home.
Xa, CD Xt Sig, 8₂DAC Qx, Stereo 200, SL-1200 > SME M2-9R > Goldring 1012GX > Graham Slee Revelation M, Kralk Audio BC30-3, Van Damme Blue and Atlas cables, Isotek Evo 3 Polaris/Premier mains