Sage advice

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
broowin

Sage advice

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:38 am

So having asked for some advice about buying some headphones a few months ago I though I would update on progress.
Not only have I ended up with a new pair of headphones but new speakers as well in a way that i had not expected.

Whilst browsing the web late on friday evening having had some refreshment I stumbled upon a life changing image how I cant remember but there was possibly the most beautiful and curvaceous image I had ever seen love at first sight -
her name - Boenicke W8.
I continued browsing trying to find out about this strange creature that I had never heard of let alone seen in the flesh and found a supplier Elite Audio based in Perth, Scotland. Whilst still under the spell of this image I sent of a very speculative email to see if they would part exchange my beloved Tannoy Sterlings not expecting a serious response from them. On the contrary they made me an offer that I didn't think I could refuse and I accepted it purely on the basis of the image, the fact they would save space in the room not designed for Tannoys and the reviews that all seem to be in awe of them. and I had a few bob to spare. All of which is contrary to the sage advice of listen listen listen before buying. Could have been disastrous. During email contact with Elite I also enquired about buying the Audeze Headphones and Erzetich Bacillus amp which they recommended which I also bought without listening since the total deal they offered saved messing about and spending at least days travel to audition probably inferior sets.

So what do I think of the headphones? well they are good, difficult to fault and the amp likewise. Having anticipated i would be spending more time listening to them in favour of the Tannoys which if I had kept, would probably be the case but the decision to buy the W8’s has resulted in a revelation of sound that I did not expect to achieve with my budget so I spend as much time as I can listening to them and the headphones remain idle.

All I can say is if you get chance to listen to them do so they are utterly engaging producing a soundstage where they ‘disappear' and a bass that is accurate and subtly penetrating. One review described them as having the ability to ‘breathe’ which I can only agree with.

So the moral of this I am not sure i think I have been very lucky in the choices I made and I can only repeat Listen to stuff before you buy and don't browse the net when refreshed!

Also can't recommend Elite Audio more highly, great service from some people I have never seen and not likely to since they are at the other end of the country
Last edited by broowin on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Sage advice

Postby callen24 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 am

do you have the bass drivers facing towards each other, with the w8?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

broowin

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:38 pm

No I was advised to try them pointing out and it seems to work. the opening track of Relaxer by Alt j woke my good lady up the other night because the bass reached through to parts not reached before. its not 'loud' or 'boomy' its just impressive

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:58 pm

yes we heard the boenicke at scalford , lovely big sound . well done .
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

broowin

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Thanks.

Other things of note are they come with their own 'sleeping bags' i.e. soft cloth covers. There are no grills on the speakers and so currently I enjoy putting their bags on to protect them when i have finished and 'tuck them up'. (probably get fed up with that over time.)

Also they are very manoeuvrable and I can put them against the wall and move them to a prime position when listening. i would have had more hernias if I had tried that with the Tannoys. This is great advantage if you don't have your own single purpose 'Listening' room.

No spikes either - he uses a completely different system to support them all of which seems to work well. I have noted that you can buy an enhanced system of support from him at a price - probably out of my budget.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 pm

yes i was reading about that `sling` type support and wondering how it was so expensive , was it 1k more ?
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

broowin

Postby broowin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:35 pm

I couldn't find a price I think its more.

If you had all the mods and the special model I think it totals £14K!! more than twice the list price of the basic W8 .

I would like to listen to them if I could given what he has achieved with the basic model but it would only leave me dissatisfied or having to remortgage.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:55 pm

wow , you could have a pair of these for less than that !!

modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Have Kudos sent you your commission payments yet Phil? ;)

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51 pm

no .... :) don`t you start....... !! been a very bruising 24 hours ;)
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Postby crimsondonkey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:23 pm

Yeah I saw the PFM thread - maybe dial down the enthusiasm to below 100% :)

mfin

Postby mfin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:58 pm

If the W8 have anything of the sound of the W11 they will be incredibly good driven with the right kit. The W11 I have had the chance to hear driven by various amps and sources.

I've heard the little W5 monitors too and the scale and depth of the sound even out of those tiny things defies belief, you could get a massive extended sound in a relatively small room with those.

Would love to hear the W8.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:04 pm

crimsondonkey wrote:Yeah I saw the PFM thread - maybe dial down the enthusiasm to below 100% :)

yes , might be a good idea !!! ;)
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:19 pm

hifinutt wrote:wow , you could have a pair of these for less than that !!

these look quite ugly
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:42 pm

yes i guess they do but they sound good and at 13k . not bad vfm especially when all the american stuff has gone into orbit , like wilson sabrina etc . this was 15 k but since brexit its more like 18k . not that i can afford any of them at the moment tho !!!!

heres a video of the w8

https://youtu.be/PK1X6bSIF5c

and the w5

https://youtu.be/ftuo2DGTLaI

and the w11

https://youtu.be/dnkV3ZsqrDo
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp