More ruminations

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
MiniCoupeman

More ruminations

Postby MiniCoupeman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Well it is summer and a bit quiet so perhaps others would pass on their thoughts about the Law Of Diminishing Returns. I won't explain it, if you don't know, look it up. I consider that there may be more than one sweet spot. I have had some (v.g.) kit over the years but probably didn't take much notice of money/result. Was it better? yes? thats ok then.

I had a need five years ago to 'start again' and I purchased a Cyrus 8 with DAC - sorry can't remember the name, and PMC 21's. The amp/DAC was about 1300 pounds, the PMC's the same. I already had a CD/SACD player and a computer/itunes and a TT. At the time I loved this system and now regard it as a sweet spot. It was wonderful and, I guess, still is.

I upgraded to X200's, brought a Cyrus Pre and a Chord DAC - I sold the Cyrus and brought Nord. I upgraded my cartridge, my phono amp - it goes on BUT - while (nearly) every upgrade was worthwhile it took until now to get to another sweet spot. In the last three months I have spent 6000 pounds upgrading. My none hifi friends are aghast but...... It has been worth it. The difference is obvious and I should (on reflection) have passed on the Ortophon Blue cartridge (300) and jumped straight to the Benz Wood. (1300) I should have gone from my Cambridge phono stage to a MUCH better one (Project installed - thank you crimsondonkey) And while I loved my first two passive pre's- PP10 - on sale now - The Hattor blows them away. So, two sweet spots. The first at about three grand and the second between six and seven grand. (ish)

I guess there are those out there who will add to this? What is the next 'sweet spot?'

crimsondonkey
Addicted
Addicted

Re: More ruminations

Postby crimsondonkey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Two different answers to the next sweet spot -
1. Your room, room treatment and/ or electronic room correction
2. Stopping listening to the kit itself and go find some brilliantly mastered versions of your favourite albums on LP

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: More ruminations

Postby callen24 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:59 pm

i have to thank you for making your pursuit public.
Because of it I have discovered a "sweet spot" of my own
You raised the issue of a low output phono stage.
Wayne's replies made me realise that the output from my dac was too high, 8 o'clock on the dial was to loud on my passive.
Simp,y by switching from XLR out to RCA ( which has a lower voltage) my normal listening volume is 10 o'clock on the dial.
this simple change has made a big difference to my ears, and it cost zero pence.
i'm even wondering how much better it would sound if 12 o'clock was my normal volume
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, Project RCM