Grrrrr streaming pc dead .... [now rebuilt]

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Grrrrr streaming pc dead .... [now rebuilt]

Postby Robert » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:47 pm

My DIY streaming pc based on the computer audiophile "topanga" seems to be dead. The damn thing is completely silent so I can even tell if there is life apart from a green led on the motherboard itself.
So DIY a fix which probably means new motherboard and replace other components if fried, or one of them there auralic minis?
Had thunder and lightning very close by last week which took the power out and killed my router and next door's printer.
:(
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Grrrrr streaming pc dead

Postby hifinutt » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

bad news Robert !! hope you get sorted soon
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

argustimewas
Addicted
Addicted

Postby argustimewas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18 pm

I know how you feel, my MacBook Pro has recently failed.

I'm also looking at the Auralic Mini or Bluesound Node 2 options.
Michell Orb SE / SME 309 / Ortofon Quintet Black
Phono X & PSX-R
CDXt Signature
DACXP Signature & PSX-R2
Mono X300 Signatures x 2
Spendor D7
Missing Link Binary Star coaxial, Atlas Navigator XLR, Mark Grant G1500HD RCA, Van Damme 6mm UP-LCOFC speaker cable
IMF x 3, R Andrews mains cables
X Arbour

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Postby wyjsar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Perhaps the Hare Krishna guy in the Troll Cave could do some chanting or whatever and revive it. What's there to lose? O0
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic T70P
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature

wyjsar
Addicted
Addicted

Postby wyjsar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Oh, too late, his thread is gone. :-\
I'll need to look for another source of entertainment. :'(
Intel NUC -> Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 / STP-SE / ST-500 -> Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde Arreté / Beyerdynamic T70P
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact -> NAD D 3020 -> Audiovector Ki1 Signature

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:15 pm

So ironically a friend of mine (with a very nice mf nuvista 600 amp, PMC speakers 25/26? and a Roxanne xerxes with pug arm and Tabriz cart) came round for a listen tonight. My iPad stood in cck camera kit straight into my naim dacv1 via USB, wow this sounds fantastic! So I might have another solution here already.
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:52 am

Robert, if a Google Chromecast Audio would be of use, drop me a PM as I have one spare which is new and therefore unused.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Schiit Freya
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks for offer of chromecast.
Right now i am leaning towards repairing/rebuilding the broken pc. So far looks like a new asrock mini itx motherboard (which has lightning protection yay!) and a 19v 65w "laptop" psu to replace my 12v one (asrock needs 19 instead of 12). £88 plus £ for the psu, and I think the same memory will fit just need to check what shape it is. [update]according to the crucial website, exactly the same memory module will fit the dn2800mt and the asrock, both need "DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V"
Whilst buying a bluesound node etc does appeal, thats £500, and i hope to fix mine for £100 or so.

Hope this works per asrock's claims!

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:46 pm

I have a HDPLEX 19v Linear supply that I was using with a NUC but isn't currently needed Robert. Also a Voltcraft linear supply that was modded (professionally) to drop it from 24 to 19v - originally intended for the same NUC but had too much transformer hum on the mains here.
Let me know if either would be of use.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:49 pm

So it's up and running again. New motherboard and 19v psu fixed it on the hardware sound. Old memory fitted.
But omg windows 7 would not play ball!!! Much swearing occurred here I have to admit. Firstly it would boot up into windows but ethernet wouldnt work, and frustratingly neither did usb so i had no control via mouse and keyboard or by Remote Desktop.
Tried to repair windows but still no usb device recognised apart from my usb stick/ usb optical drive. You cant do anything without mouse and keyboard.
Seems intel dropped their support for usb2 and windows 7 doesnt support usb 3. Windows 8.1 or 10 would work fine. Tried the asrock method to add intel usb 3 drivers into a windows 7 iso image, didnt work. Tried the intel method (which they provide for various nucs), same thing. Tried the dell method of downloading a ready made compatible iso but couldnt get access to the download site even from my dell laptop.

Damn and blast it.

Installed xubuntu 16.04 lts, works perfectly, and jriver mc22 for linux works beautifully, naim dac v1 says bit perfect.
Honestly i have plenty of experience making computers work but there is always an os issue somewhere. Couldnt get dual monitor support on a shuttle barebones with ubuntu due to an intel drivers issue. Couldnt get a firewire card to be recognised by windows due to it having a via chipset. You name it, i've had it. But no keyboard / mouse, honestly, thats a first! Plus 2 official methods of resolving this, neither worked.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Coda II wrote:I have a HDPLEX 19v Linear supply that I was using with a NUC but isn't currently needed Robert. Also a Voltcraft linear supply that was modded (professionally) to drop it from 24 to 19v - originally intended for the same NUC but had too much transformer hum on the mains here.
Let me know if either would be of use.

Hi, the hdplex always rates very highly but I'd need my bank balance to recover from recent frantic lp buying before any hifi purchases (oh, and upgrading from nait xs to supernait! 2 week's ago)

Coda II

Postby Coda II » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:27 am

Have you tried a Raspberry Pi with MC22? Currently running that here in preference to the Win10 NUC.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:45 pm

Currently trialling Roon again, new pc for music now has the power to run it. Have roon server installed for linux, and control via ipad/android phone.
Still undecided if I want a £90/year subscription for tonnes of meta data, "discover" and "radio".

jobseeker

Postby jobseeker » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:30 am

Admittedly my needs are pretty simple, but I run Roon on an old NUC5i5RYH using Roon's ROCK operating system just for audio. That keeps things a lot simpler. I've never regretted buying a discounted lifetime membership when it was available, even though I only use a fraction of what's on offer. As Roon continues to develop, it does seem to offer rather more than just enhanced metadata. A lot of people seem to be using the room correction software now. More manufacturers supporting it too as time goes by.

Rune

Postby Rune » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:12 pm

I run ROCK on a Asrock desk mini 100. I find this a better alternative than a NUC because it is cheaper and better performance and silent than a NUC.
I know that ROCK is not officially supported, but it is unlikely that it should not work in the future and I can always install normal Linux.
Source: Synology NAS, Intel NUC Linux RoonServer, RPI RoonBridge
DAC: Chord Hugo
Pre amp: MFA Baby Ref.
Amps: 4xHypex nCore
Speakers: Dali Epicon 8
Cables: ML Cryo Ref. XLR, Yannis RCA, Analysis plus big silver oval
AV: Onkyo TX-NR818, 5.1  B&W M-1, PV1D sub