Enhancement

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Mister R

Enhancement

Postby Mister R » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello all.

It's been a while since I've posted as generally I like my set up. That said, I think my system lacks some detail with some tracks as know the set up has some very good electronics so I am looking for some guidance. What would you recommend to upgrade? I stream all music these days and use Deezer Premium plus hard drive for my ripped cd collection using FLAC through dob poweramp software.

Thanks for your help!

Iain

Mister R

Re: Enhancement

Postby Mister R » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:57 pm

System is:-

SIGNATURE
Sonos Connect->Zyxel NAS->DAC-XP/PSX-R->Mono X200 Signatures-> Arcam AVR380->Furman Elite 16 Linear Power Conditioner-> Dynaudio Contour S1.4-> Dynaudio Sub300-> Dali Motif rears-> Chord epic/Nordost Shiva/Black Rhodium power cables-> Grado Labs SR325e-> Chord Mojo(the best piece of hifi kit I have bought to date!)

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:12 pm

have you tried mojo as a dac in main system?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

Mister R

Postby Mister R » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:38 pm

I haven't. I bet it's a better DAC than the one in the DAC-XP. Good shout. How would I hook it in?

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:14 pm

upgrade the dynaudios ? maybe ? get an audition of some new speakers perhaps ?
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

Mister R

Postby Mister R » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:50 pm

Now your talking:) what do you think of audiovector with Cyrus? Fancy some floor standers next. They've got to be compact though. I also thought of Totem.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:33 am

I would improve your DAC (Bel Canto DAC3VB was a big step up from DACXP and I'm now selling it for a very reasonable price :-[ )..

and may be go for a better streamer
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:06 am

i suspect that speakers won't give as big an improvement as a dac. have you ever heard a sig dac xp in your system?
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.

Mister R

Postby Mister R » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 am

I haven't Callen but not sure spending an extra grand on a Cyrus DAC-XP TO SIG upgrade is good money spent? What about a chord Hugo alongside the DACXP? Would you do this before upgrading the sonos connect? I like the easy functionality of the sonos and have multi room. I think there might be still more to be had from the 1.4s?

Thanks!

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:11 am

it depends if you can live with more boxes.
i would try and hear a number of dacs.
for example the original mdac is available second hand for around £300.
Are you thinking about the hugo as a dual use item i.e. portably as well

Mister R

Postby Mister R » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:19 pm

It sounds like trying a few DAC options is a good place to start. No plans to use a Hugo portably as have mojo for that:)
Perhaps DACXP Sig or Mdac or chord DAC to try and then streamer? Want to keep box count down. Did deliberate about a big Moon integrated as a 1 box does all as well but like the Cyrus sound.

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Sticking with Cyrus, i would try the 300s in place of the 200s. If bigger amps dont work, then you can look elsewhere.
Next obvious is the dac as others have suggested. The hugo 2 is an obvious choice.
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

Mister R

Postby Mister R » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks Robert! The upgrade from MonoX to X200 Sigs made a big difference in controlling the speakers and detail. I suspect a DAC and streamer test next. Much as the Sonos is good at what it does, what is the thought on a blue sound node as an upgrade?

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:05 am

Mister R wrote:I haven't Callen but not sure spending an extra grand on a Cyrus DAC-XP TO SIG upgrade is good money spent? What about a chord Hugo alongside the DACXP? Would you do this before upgrading the sonos connect? I like the easy functionality of the sonos and have multi room. I think there might be still more to be had from the 1.4s?

Thanks!

Chord Hugo TT owner......great DAC. I suggest trying your Mojo, if you like this and feel you absolutely must spend more money then try an original Hugo, a mk 2 if you need to spend more, and maybe even. TT - see if you can hear differences and decide if those differences are worth the premiums of moving up the range. There are other brands of course, chord are easy to get hold of though, which is a bonus.

I think Cyrus Pre/DACs are outclassed just about everywhere nowadays, it's really the weak link in the Cyrus catalogue.

You could try another streamer, there are lots of options around now, I can't suggest any as I haven't kept up since I got my Airies.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; Audeze LCD 2

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:28 am

i had an original bluesound node for a number of weeks, operating system etc is very similar to sonos. but sound was much better from optical output, very close to stream x2. if sonos is your main source i'd definitely get a demo on one of these.
or aries mini?
did you get to try the mojo in your system?
Last edited by callen24 on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.