what's the nearest thing to a cyrus 1, available now?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
callen24
Addicted
Addicted

what's the nearest thing to a cyrus 1, available now?

Postby callen24 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 pm

a friend has asked me this, having decided to get a hifi again. i'm worried that he might be disappointed if he got a secondhand cyrus 7, because it will sound softer, less clean. I know some people think the original cyrus one and two, were too lean. But i believe that is what he wants, it's a small room he will be using.
i was thinking secondhand audiolab, or rega -r, cyrus 8vs
any opinions?
Last edited by callen24 on Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.
rega P3-24, psu, elys2, Clearaudio nano

t-roten

Re: what's the nearest thing to a cyrus 1, available now?

Postby t-roten » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Musical Fidelity?
Pioneer LX55 + Denon Da-300USB ->
Rega RP3 with TTPSU + Musical Fidelity M1LPS -> Musical Fidelity M6i -> Trond "Ellam 2.5"
Musical Fidelity M1Clic ->

Cyrus Streamline v2 -> "Trond" Peerless HDS-PPB

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Perhaps something with Class D..

NAD or Belcanto integrated?
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7VB(Atlas Navigator)BC Pre3VB(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

David H

Postby David H » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:25 pm

Probably a Cyrus 1? There are usually a few at £70 on the bay.

I assume the Cyrus ONE is out of the price range?

Personally, I've found used Rotel integrated amps to be exceptionally reliable, clean, accurate and a bargain used.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:13 pm

t-roten wrote:Musical Fidelity?

which one?
i should have said secondhand
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, Baby classicMk3, Mono X300,  VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:14 pm

David H wrote:Probably a Cyrus 1? There are usually a few at £70 on the bay.

Personally, I've found used Rotel integrated amps to be exceptionally reliable, clean, accurate and a bargain used.

i nearly said to him, two rotel power amps and a cheap passive O0 O0

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:22 pm

Why didn't you?

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:26 pm

David H wrote:Probably a Cyrus 1? There are usually a few at £70 on the bay.

yes I have an old rotel integrated in second system . its rather good for what it is , and over 25 years old
modwright 36.5 dual mono
msb s200 power amp
bel canto 3.5vbs/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd /Marantz sacd, sigmas conditioning
proac studio 125, cabling
rfc /chord epic //Townshend /acoustic zen

They call me Ron

Postby They call me Ron » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:48 pm

If you find out, let me know.

I'm still listening to my trusty old Cyrus 1 despite numerous attempts over the years to oust it. Rega, Naim, Quad, Cambridge newer Cyrus, they've all come and gone. Nothing so far has matched the sheer see-through transparency of the singing brick (though I confess I listen only at moderate levels: I suspect it would be far too much of a good thing once the wick goes up). The phono stage is a stunner, too. That has seen off a Heed Quasar and Trichord Dino with room to spare.

That said, I think the Rotel suggestion is not a bad one. I'm also tempted to try newer Naim or Exposure, but then again I could spend a mere £150 on servicing the Cyrus 1 and just live with it for years more to come.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:24 pm

They call me Ron wrote:If you find out, let me know.

I'm still listening to my trusty old Cyrus 1 despite numerous attempts over the years to oust it. Rega, Naim, Quad, Cambridge newer Cyrus, they've all come and gone. Nothing so far has matched the sheer see-through transparency of the singing brick (though I confess I listen only at moderate levels: I suspect it would be far too much of a good thing once the wick goes up). The phono stage is a stunner, too. That has seen off a Heed Quasar and Trichord Dino with room to spare.

That said, I think the Rotel suggestion is not a bad one. I'm also tempted to try newer Naim or Exposure, but then again I could spend a mere £150 on servicing the Cyrus 1 and just live with it for years more to come.

Are you ever tempted to seek out a cyrus 2 with psx?

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:30 pm

MiniCoupeman wrote:Why didn't you?

3 issues
cheap passive will have a sweet spot, i dont have the technical knowledge to say whether his arcam dac, and rega phono stage will offer a good enough electrical match.
Not sure whether he wants 3 boxes
And getting a pair of rotels to run in mono isnt always easy. Often it is different models available as single purchases. Though there is a pair on ebay at the moment

Robert
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Robert » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:28 pm

I'd look for a rega brio, not the "r" unless funds allow, but rather one of the older models.

My Cyrus 1 was lt £70 on eBay then £120 (I think) to get it fully serviced (a few years later). Works beautifully now, but doesn't get a work out very often. The 1 to buy is the very last iteration that looks like this
home office: Dell laptop running JRriver MC22 / Meridian Explorer / AKG 550's
music room: PC transport running JRiver MC22 / Naim DAC-V1 / Naim Supernait 2 / Neat Motive SX2
kitchen: Naim Unitiqute 2 / Naim NAP100 / Totem Dreamcatchers

t-roten

Postby t-roten » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:55 pm

callen24 wrote:
t-roten wrote:Musical Fidelity?

which one?
i should have said secondhand

There is an X-A200 on eBay at the moment - would be good, I think
Pioneer LX55 + Denon Da-300USB ->
Rega RP3 with TTPSU + Musical Fidelity M1LPS -> Musical Fidelity M6i -> Trond "Ellam 2.5"
Musical Fidelity M1Clic ->

Cyrus Streamline v2 -> "Trond" Peerless HDS-PPB

They call me Ron

Postby They call me Ron » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Robert wrote:I'd look for a rega brio, not the "r" unless funds allow, but rather one of the older models.

My Cyrus 1 was lt £70 on eBay then £120 (I think) to get it fully serviced (a few years later). Works beautifully now, but doesn't get a work out very often. The 1 to buy is the very last iteration that looks like this

That's the version I have. In my experience rather more capable than a Rega Brio (though I suspect the Brio will go louder more gracefully).

Where did you get it serviced? And did it make a difference?

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Robert wrote:I'd look for a rega brio, not the "r" unless funds allow, but rather one of the older models.

http://www.amprepairservices.co.uk/cyru ... 4590672419
I suggested that robert, that is what I would do, and get the signature upgrade for £20, as well.
But I understand that he , like others, does not want to splash the cash with an amp more than 30 years.