Bristol HiFi Show 2018

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
caine
Addicted
Addicted

Bristol HiFi Show 2018

Postby caine » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Anyone planning to go ? Haven't been for a good few years.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Bristol HiFi Show 2018

Postby hifinutt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:49 pm

ah yes , would not miss it. be there on the saturday . looking forward to hearing the proac dt8 and harbs again
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Yes. Also Saturday. Past experience is 'crowded' helpful, interesting but not a 'quality listen

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 pm

Not me. I've never been attracted to these shows. Will be at the WAM show all things being equal though.
Last edited by mickbald on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 pm

great , hope to see you there , i guess we will have to start a separate thread for that
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit saga , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:27 pm

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:48 pm

fab
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:53 am

Been there, done that.

Cyrus majored on the Qobuz announcement but played very little music :(

Some words and pictures here:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk ... eport.html

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Today was the first time I’d managed to make despite living around Bristol my whole life.

What I found very surprising was I didn’t hear anything that sounded great, I know that ironically I hifi show is not a good place to listen to hifi, but even so, I was expecting some of the high end systems to really grab my attention. That’s not to say they didn’t sound good, just I didn’t feel “OMG if I win the lotto first thing I’m gonna do is buy one of those” .

One thing I found pretty common between all the stands is that the volumes were just too high, vocals all sounded strained and harsh, maybe I’ve just got weird ears, but there were only a hand full of systems I really enjoyed. These were:

1) Quad Artera Solus and S1 bookshelves. This was the first system of the day I enjoyed, after admiring parts of the performance and the odd track of the Cyrus Sig/ Kef Blades system, this just sounded huge, smooth and relaxing. A real surprise given the speakers dimensions and the fair sized room. It was lovely and I was totally stunned when I discovered the price (£1500 + £500).
2) Naim Unity Nova and Kudos Titan 505. I really liked this setup even when it was cranked up.
3) Kudos S10a. These sounded fabulous but I only found the room as I was about to leave and people were chatting and the system down low.
4) PMC TwentyFive 24 (I think). Earlier in the day I listened to the TwentyFive 23 and wasn’t overly impressed (might have been the odd music used for the demo), but later on the bigger brothers were playing and they sounded much better, very smooth and detailed.
5) Totem (small black floor standers). Can’t remember how they sounded but I liked them.

One thing that did surprise me was the music being played, I was expecting a day of boring jazz and classical pieces, but most of it was rock, pop and dance from the past 40 years.

A few systems I suspect could (or maybe should)have been epic if they had been turned down a tad, or had been demoing music I liked were:

1) Main Naim system. With some tracks this did sound great, but with others it sounded like a PA system. One track of note was a Country/ Mark Knopfler type track which sounded amazing until the vocal kicked in, then you know you were listening to hifi.
2) Cyrus Sig/ Kef Blades. This sounded much better when seated between the speakers but again it was just too loud. This meant the odd vocal made me wince. I attended the talk on Class D amps and they did a comparison with 2x X Powers vs the Stereo 200, and while I felt the Stereo 200 was the better amp as the volume was loud the X Powers sounded the more listenable to me.
3) Wilson Benesch. Was really looking forward to this but when I entered the room it was full and they were playing some Jazz. When I returned there was room to sit and the tunes had seriously improved; Erykah Badu, Patricia Barber, and some more contemporary stuff. I thought the Discovery II’s sounded really boomy and not very tuneful, a lot of detail but it wasn’t “nice” to listen too
4) TAD. Although this sounded great, the demo tracks didn’t have any vocals when I listened, and again it was a bit loud. There was something quite mesmerizing about it though, really powerful but even handed performance.

Another system I quite liked was the Chord Qutest/ B&W, very nice but I think I was expecting more considering the price of the amp and speakers.

I was also impressed by the active Kef LS50’s although again played too loud, but the features are very cool.

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:22 pm

sunbeamgls wrote:Been there, done that.

Cyrus majored on the Qobuz announcement but played very little music :(

This morning they were constantly playing music from a range of genres. :)

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:37 pm

thanks for write up , i liked the ram speakers room , people coming in seeing the tiny little falcon L3/5a [ and gosh they are tiny] thought they were the big floorstanders playing !!!

also loved the audionote room

the harbeth room was playing the hl5plus anniversary and it was pretty aneamic . i am listening this minute to the shl5plus standard version with a one of the best integrated amps in the world [on demo]and it is light years ahead of the hegal setup. much much more power , separtion of instruments and dynamics
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner

sunbeamgls

Postby sunbeamgls » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:12 am

hifinutt wrote:thanks for write up , i liked the ram speakers room , people coming in seeing the tiny little falcon L3/5a [ and gosh they are tiny] thought they were the big floorstanders playing !!!

For me, unfortunately the experience was exactly the opposite!

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 am

Agree with most of Yogi's post. I thought the KEF Blades were too much for the Sig system - I have heard them at the factory and on demo and they sounded much better. IMO the ATC room (S40's active) and the Spendor Auralic combo gave best sound in show. NEAT speakers were impressive as were SOTA. Agree re Hegal, disappointing as was Creek. Klipsch Heritage sounded very good. The Wilson room was visually VERY impressive bur close your eyes and the sound left something to be desired - do we hear with our eyes? Lastly. Audioquest gave a very convincing demo of Mains leads swop - standard cable for there version, simple take one out, replace and play same music. Trouble is they said the Mains cables they were using cost approx 150 but on getting home I find none at this price and some of their mains cables cost 3500. Can't be sure what they were using. Pity.

mr_yogi

Postby mr_yogi » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:23 pm

One other thing I forgot to mention, which I found interesting was the B&W demo of their 700 series. I've read many times on forums that nothing much as changed in speaker design over the years, great speakers are great speakers, etc. So it was interesting when B&W did comparisons between their outgoing and incoming models highlighting the differences and talking about how they achieved them. Did anyone else see this demo?

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 am

Heard the demo at Windsor were, incidentally the real hi end stuff is exhibited. Impressive technical explanation from B&W (and I have been fortunate enough to tour KEF's factory and found the same) but unconvincing sound, indeed I was wanting to like B&W but came out scrubbing them from my list.

More power to British manufacturers though! Which raises a thought...... OK so Focal and Sonus Faber are exceptions (there are others ) but by and large, the USA does big (very) expensive speakers and we do small affordable speakers. I am not sure the gap in sound is reflected in the gap in price.