Goodbye to Cyrus (Almost)

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Goodbye to Cyrus (Almost)

Postby angelface » Mon May 14, 2018 6:33 am

I am moving away from Cyrus but still have 6 boxes in total (I did have 8 at one point).

I really like my Cyrus CD transport and I can imagine myself upgrading to Mono X300s at some point.

Cyrus DACs can be bettered and I can't imagine myself buying another Cyrus pre.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sat May 19, 2018 1:33 pm

When I received the Amps, they were a demo set for me to try. I set them up and they sounded a little bright and glassy. I discovered that the pre is new, and the power is supposedly run-in, although, from looking at the manufacturing date, that appears pretty new as well. After quite a lot of use and running a burn-in disc through the pre even night, everything is starting to mellow quite nicely. Still some way to go but I think that they'll be keepers. Just need to sort out a streamer / DAC. That could be expensive.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

clive197
Addicted
Addicted

Postby clive197 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Can I say it, please, please can I say it.......’I told you so.’ :D
Source:Aries G1,PS Audio NPC Phono
Technics SL1210M5G/OL Encounter Mk3A/Cadenza Black,OPPO UDP-205 BluRay
DAC:Chord Qutest,Chord Mojo/Poly
Amplifier:Bryston BP17Cubed/4B3
speakers:Spendor D7
Headphone:B&W C5v2,OPPO PM1
Cables:Chord Signature spk.
Atlas Mavros XLR x2,Atlas Mavros Ultra,Chord Indigo Plus XLR,DIGITAL Atlas Mavros Ultra x2,Atlas USB.Chord Optichord

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 pm

SteveC wrote:I received by courier the pre and power amp yesterday. I took me a while to fathom the switch-on quirks and to get it to play. Once the initial hiccups had been overcome I settled in for a good listen. Initially all was a bit brittle and 'glassy'. However, after a couple of hours everything smoothed out and was quite relaxed.

I immediately noticed a greater level of low level detail than I was used to. Comparatively I was struck by the absence of any apparent sonic signature. As the units are now spaced at different distances than previously, my standard 1m interconnects are proving to be a little short. Consequently I only have a £99 Rega RCA connecting my Oppo source to the pre. It's not bad, but I feel there is more to come with a better interconnect. I'll have to rectify this when funds allow. That said, the DAC in the Oppo 205 is exceptional in a £1,399 unit and you get Blu-Ray and CD players for free.

these are pretty good if you need some longer ones

http://www.referencefidelitycomponents. ... luto-mkii/
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

caine
Addicted
Addicted

Postby caine » Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm

I immediately noticed a greater level of low level detail than I was used to. Comparatively I was struck by the absence of any apparent sonic signature. As the units are now spaced at different distances than previously, my standard 1m interconnects are proving to be a little short. Consequently I only have a £99 Rega RCA connecting my Oppo source to the pre. It's not bad, but I feel there is more to come with a better interconnect. I'll have to rectify this when funds allow. That said, the DAC in the Oppo 205 is exceptional in a £1,399 unit and you get Blu-Ray and CD players for free.

I concur with that when I went for the 4BSST. Really noticed more blackness to the presentation, with sounds emanating from the depths of nowhere (in comparison to my Cyrus mono's). I had both brands for a while. As well the bass is tighter with more control and far more oomph. The Bryston sound is far more loyal to the presentation and more coherent and less coloured presentation. Also I thought the timing was more accurate due to the amp being a beast. Backed by a transferable 20 year warranty; a bit of a no brainer.

Will be interesting to know Steve what you think after a couple months getting used to the new setup.
SBT (mod) >7d coax> TAD D1000 mk.2 >5d> Belles LA01 (gen2) >5d> Marantz MA9S2 >4d> Vivid Audio B1
Townshend rack/platforms, Coherent interconnects, DIY mains. Room Conditioning.

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Fri May 25, 2018 3:53 pm

A couple of days ago a friend brought around an Innuos Zenith music server and a Chord Dave. The dedicated music server, interestingly, had a big impact on sound quality on its own, a much deeper sounds age and very smooth.

The Dave, well, what can I say, the sound was transformed (not surprising at the price). I won't try and describe it as I can't think if enough superlatives. However, there are downsides to the Dave. I understand that you have to be careful about the order in which it is switched on in relation to the pre and power amps, otherwise you risk blowing the speakers. On the day it would not play DSD and it seemed to lose it's digital lock occasionally when changing albums, causing a digital clicking sound through the speakers. I certainly won't be saving up for one. I'll probably go for the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC with network bridge. I'm also talking to David Brook about a Melco.

After 12 days the pre-power combination is really coming into its own.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

Ianmac

Postby Ianmac » Fri May 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Good to read your enjoying your new pre power combination -in a different league to what you had.
Thanks for the comment about the Dave, I wont be saving up for one either !
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Sun May 27, 2018 8:30 am

Hello Steve
I believe that the Forum is a place for people on the hifi journey , and Cyrus is a stop.
Congrats for the Bryston , these are really great great stuff .. and you ave my dream speakers
Regarding the DAVE , I didn't encounter any clicks
May be because I am using AES (not USB)
Melco is good ..
Cheers

maro73
CU Subscriber Member
CU Subscriber Member

Postby maro73 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello
I almost forgot .. I still have some cyrus stuufs
This forum brought me to some friends .. they are now friends .. and thanks to Cyrus
I believe that Cyrus is lost in the battle of finding it's place in UK .. hard to live with Linn , Naim and the others
May be they'll be bought up .. who knows
But CU is and has been a terrific journey
Cheers

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Sun May 27, 2018 2:14 pm

well said maro , and long may it continue
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm

maro73 wrote:Hello Steve
I believe that the Forum is a place for people on the hifi journey , and Cyrus is a stop.
Congrats for the Bryston , these are really great great stuff .. and you ave my dream speakers
Regarding the DAVE , I didn't encounter any clicks
May be because I am using AES (not USB)
Melco is good ..
Cheers

I was using digital co-ax.

Joe

Postby Joe » Sun May 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Does it have that funny dual coax input like the QBD76? If so that caused me all sorts of confusion when I had one. IIRC you could only get up to 96KHz using the one input.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 am

Joe wrote:Does it have that funny dual coax input like the QBD76? If so that caused me all sorts of confusion when I had one. IIRC you could only get up to 96KHz using the one input.

The chord has gone now, but I think it does, one for each channel.

Joe

Postby Joe » Mon May 28, 2018 11:08 am

Dual Data Mode - Dave supports dual data mode on its BNC inputs.This is where a 176kHz data rate is supported by sending a left 88kHz signal and a right 88kHz signal via separate BNCs. For example this function is supported with our Blu CD Transport.
To operate DAVE in dual data mode you should connect the left BNC to ‘input 1 BNC’ and the right BNC to ‘input 2 BNC’. Following this you should select BNC1 on the menu and, upon successful pairing, a letter ‘D’ will appear with the sample rate.To operate a second dual data input please connect the left channel BNC to input 3 and the right channel BNC to BNC input 4.

How very odd.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, Dali Epicon 6.

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Nearly there.

I received a further new toy today. (One more to go.)

I was waiting with anticipation for TNT to arrive today with a PS Audio DirectStream DAC, including the Network Bridge. It is well built, solid and beautifully finished. Not only that but it was very simple to get working, very much plug and play. I tried it as a DAC only, using digital co-exist, and as a streamer via ethernet.

How did it sound? Pretty awful actually, no depth and quite glassy whilst being exceptionally detailed. Looks like I'll be playing a burn-in disc on repeat for a couple of weeks. I'm sure it will improve! I'll let you know.

I'd post photos but I can't make it work since the forum update.