Is the dac xp sig a massive upgrade?

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
pump22

Is the dac xp sig a massive upgrade?

Postby pump22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:45 am

Hi All,

Just wondering if the dac xp sig is a big upgrade to the dax xp+?

Not really got any problems with what I've got, but you know how it is.... we all want to upgrade after a few years! And, the wife won't realise as it's the same box but with a little signature at the top, so happy days!
Cyrus XT Sig / DAC Xp+ &  Psx-r2 / Nord 1up Mono / Pro-Ject Classic / Gamut L3.

zippy
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Is the dac xp sig a massive upgrade?

Postby zippy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:31 am

IMHO, No - the improvement is small - still worth doing if you have the spare cash.
A PSX2 power supply the same - small improvement.
Win10 PC with Asset UPnP server/BubbleUPnP app on Android tablet
AG1500 regenerator/StreamXSig->DAC XPSig(with PSX-R2)->Bryston 4BSST2->KEF Reference 3~2

pump22

Postby pump22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:49 am

I have the psx-r2 connected to my dac already, so I could use that.

I'd need to sell a few bits firstly, so waiting to sign up on here as last time I used the site (many years ago), you could sell things below the 100 posts. Paying the £10 will sort that out though.

What prices do you think a smooth dax xp+, 8 dac qx and a smooth psx-r would go for on here?

Sorry if I am breaking any rules as I am waiting for signing up a years subscription, but just after prices etc for a later date.

Phil

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:42 pm

I found the price to upgrade from DACP+ to DACXP Signature too big so went down the Bel Canto route.

After two years very happy with DAC3VB i found a 3.7 at a bargain price.

I would consider Chord DACs especially if you really need a USB connexion.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

pump22

Postby pump22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:53 pm

Does the Bel Canto have a pre amp built into it or does it act as one?

I used to have a pre 3 ages ago and liked the sound, smooth with authority.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:44 pm

bel canto dacs DO not sound good as pre amps , even though bel canto like to push them in that role . a decent pre amp will thrash it for musicality

i have 4 pre amps at the moment having had many of them , i just love the bel canto pre 3 , the vbs version is much better than the standard mains one and i use it daily into a very high end msb amp

also have a schiit saga [360 pounds ] and schiit freya [725 pounds ] which are absolutely stonking pre amps . they can be used as passive or valve mode. they are achieving very high reputation .

am i right in thinking you live in bromsgrove ? i could bring the saga over one day for a listen if thats the case one day . always love listening the gamut , i remember when you got the gamut
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:37 am

bottom prices for your 3 items
200 for psxr
700 each for other two

i’d be tempted to look at speakers instead, you might find something your other half prefers

An upgrade - why not get a home demo for a week and find out?
The sig has a much more modern dac and upgraded xlr outputs, like all hifi , the improvement is subjective
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

pump22

Postby pump22 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:01 am

I was thinking about the 725 mark for the 2 items and about 210 for the other.

The missus loves the speakers and the look / sound of them. Also, to get something better, I would need to spend a lot more as they are about £4.5k.

Yes, over in Bromsgrove, so you are welcome across sometime to hear them and talk shop about HIFI.

Never thought about a separate pre and dac, but that might be a better way of doing it to get a better smooth sound.

What pre amps and dacs are out there to give a better sound for about £1600 pounds??

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:51 am

Bel Canto Dacs do have a built in pre that you can bypass. As hifinut says a separate pre does sound better.

For that budget you could get a DAC3VB for 500 (that is what I sold mine for) and a PRE3VB for 600 (ditto). I am asking 500 for my VBS if that helps. IMHO this was better than DACXP+ with PSXR.

You may be able to get a more recent DAC if you buy a cheaper pre or are prepared to live with it until you can afford a separate pre.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX300Sigs(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

BB Wan
Five+

Postby BB Wan » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:52 pm

I found it was a noticeable improvement but nothing like the upgrade from PreDac to DAC XP+. Leads me to believe the XP+ is about 80% of an XP Signature. Diminishing returns as always!
Gyro SE / Illustrious/ Kontrapunkt b
Stream X2
Phono Signature/PSX-R2
DAC XP Signature
Mono Xs
Monitor Audio PL200
BK XLS200 (pair)

Davenice

Postby Davenice » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:24 pm

I will be interested in hearing your experience/recommendation for a preamp that will work well with my pair of Cyrus x300 sigs.

I currently plug my oppo 205 (disc player/streamer) directly into the power amps (via XLR), however I feel a preamp will further improve the sound.

The obvious choice is a DAC XP signature. However, I don’t feel I need the built-in DAC.

The oppo is my only source for stereo playback. Looking for something pre-owned budget is around £1000. Thanks.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:48 pm

If you only want a pre-amp, there are some serious passive pre-amps for that kind of money. I got my MF baby for 1100 quid for example.

But are you sure you couldn't improve things with a DAC? What about a Chord Hugo for example as this has volume control?

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Postby SteveC » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 pm

You will find that the DACXP Sig comes into its own with X300 Sigs. They really complement one another.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

Davenice

Postby Davenice » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:55 pm

SteveC wrote:You will find that the DACXP Sig comes into its own with X300 Sigs. They really complement one another.

Thanks. The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to go for the DAC XP sig. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a better option. At least I wont have to worry about impedance matching etc.