Something else
45%

Total votes: 20

SteveC
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Going to the dark side?

Postby SteveC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 pm

You could always have a chat with Paul Hobson - I’m not sure he does Wilson Benesch but he certainly does the other brands you mentioned.
Rega RP10 with Apheta 2 Cartridge \ PS Audio NuWave Phono Stage (on order)\
Oppo 205 Blu-Ray --\-> Emotiva XMC-1 \
Melco N1ZH/2 ---> PS Audio DirectStream DAC \
Bryston17B Cubed pre and Bryston 4B Cubed. Vienna Acoustics 'The Kiss'.
Cables: Townshend F1 Fractal XLRs and speaker cables, Atlas Ascent RCA for phono

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Naiming and shaming

Postby angelface » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:39 pm

So last Saturday I paid a visit to Fanthorpes in Hull..

The system was Cyrus CD Signature transport, Cyrus prexpdQ and some second hand Wilson Benesch Arc speakers (a real stroke of luck that they had a pair of my speakers!).

Listened to same 3 tracks but with the following power amps:
Leema Hydra II (about 2k second hand)
Cyrus Mono X300 Sigs (about 4500 ex-dem)
Bryston 4B3 (about 5k ex-dem)

Really pleased with Leema. Felt like my system but with a bit more bass. Very tempted until I heard Cyrus..
Cyrus oh wow. 3D soundstage. Felt like lead singer was about to step on me. Instantly dismissed Leema (and probably Naim).
Bryston was flat like Naim. Instruments were clearly defined but pressed against rear wall. Def Lepard was particularly disappointing as seemed to lack attack. Really disappointed as I had heard good things about Bryston but just not my taste!

I would have bought some s/h Mono X200Sigs on the spot but these had been sold the week before Christmas.

Enormous thanks to Fanthorpes as although I did not make a purchase, this one demo really helped me understand what I like and what I am looking for in a power amp.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Good to hear from somebody on this forum speaking in favour of Cyrus.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:26 pm

We spent New Year's Eve with my wife's friend in Cambridge. Her husband is my hi-fi buddy.

What a shock I got when I glanced into his lounge to see his stack of Cyrus boxes replaced by 3 Naim boxes!

He has bought a CDX2, NAC202 and NAP200. He has Totem Arro speakers.

So I fished out my 3 demo tracks and boy, did it sound better than his Cyrus system. I think the big change was the CDi to CDX2. I still prefer the Cyrus presentation so I will be looking for a pair of Mono X200 Sigs..
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Lancashirelad wrote:Good to hear from somebody on this forum speaking in favour of Cyrus.

And Fanthorpes. Great guys.

Having heard/owned all the Signature kit, there are three competitive, standout products; the CDXT, the Phono and the Mono X 300. The latter do have some serious competition at RRP but are a second hand steal.

Did they not bring this baby out?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chord-Electr ... 3191864037
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:32 pm

i would go for x300sigs , even non sig, rather than x200 sig.
i’m glad you got to hear with your speakers, otherwise you would be buying blind
your friends totem arro seem very different from what you have also
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:24 pm

Really interesting thread. I've heard a lot of good things about Fanthorpes. My friend uses them a lot and raves about them. They lent him a pair of 300 sigs to try at home (took credit card swipe of course) and traded in his old amps for a good price.

Shame you cannot borrow a pair of 200 sigs to try from one of our members. I'm really pleased with mine and would struggle to justify the 300 sigs.

dan.s

Postby dan.s » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:36 pm

I've personally compared Dac XP Sig + Stream Sig + Mono X300 Sigs sitting on a beautiful Hark 1 with Nac 272 + NAP 250DR and chose the later, really really wanting to like the Cyrus kit before auditioning. I simply love the half size boxes.

The Cyrus kit has a noise floor to die for and the most transparent sound I've ever heard in my life, regardless of the price. Its lightning fast and agile too. It goes really well with muscular speakers equipped with soft domes, because the sound is lean and can also be clinical with metal tweeters.

The Naim kit has 75% of the details rendered by the Cyrus kit. But. It boogies. It makes your fingers tap and your feet dance. And it has SLAM, it really makes your blood boil listening to rock. It goes really well with extremely transparent speakers, ribbon/folded foil/diamond/beryllium tweeters, without the need of heavy bass enclosures.

If the same speakers sound balanced on Cyrus, they will sound bass heavy on Naim. If they sound balanced on Naim, they will sound anemic on Cyrus.

And all this comparing the top spec Cyrus with not even the mid-spec Naim. Hope it helps.

One more thing: every Cyrus upgrade gives the listener a darker background, more agility and more details. Every Naim upgrade gives the listener more involvement, more boogie and more "music coming to life".

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:35 am

dan.s wrote:I've personally compared Dac XP Sig + Stream Sig + Mono X300 Sigs sitting on a beautiful Hark 1 with Nac 272 + NAP 250DR and chose the later, really really wanting to like the Cyrus kit before auditioning. I simply love the half size boxes.

I understand that Naim makes a better streamer than Cyrus.

It is very much a question of what speakers you have and what you are looking for in the sound.

dan.s

Postby dan.s » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Have no idea if the SQ is better on similarly priced naim streamers (not including the streamer dac in the equation), but the app interface is much better. It almost looks like Tidal and is much much faster than Cadence. It still hangs sometimes, nothing is perfect. Therefore, in an all signature system, I would swap the Stream Sig with a UnitiQute (almost same size) in a blink.

On a separate note, I even have 2 friends pairing naim unitiqute with 1/2x Xpower(s). Both systems sound wonderful.

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 am

dan.s wrote:Have no idea if the SQ is better on similarly priced naim streamers (not including the streamer dac in the equation), but the app interface is much better. It almost looks like Tidal and is much much faster than Cadence. It still hangs sometimes, nothing is perfect. Therefore, in an all signature system, I would swap the Stream Sig with a UnitiQute (almost same size) in a blink.

On a separate note, I even have 2 friends pairing naim unitiqute with 1/2x Xpower(s). Both systems sound wonderful.

I ran both a UQ2 and and Stream X Sig at the same time and still have the latter. I recently traded in my UQ2 and NAP100 for a Uniti Star and it is superb. If I get a chance in the not too distant future, I’ll move it into my conservatory and connect it into my main system to replace the Stream X Sig and see how it compares.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

frederico

Postby frederico » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:11 am

callen24 wrote:i would go for x300sigs , even non sig, rather than x200 sig.
i’m glad you got to hear with your speakers, otherwise you would be buying blind

Hi Callen, could you elaborate on why you would advise this route? I’m considering either x200 sigs or a Stereo 200 as my next upgrade, so keen to hear thoughts.
--------
8 DAC QX
DAB 8.0
Kef R300
--------

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:24 am

frederico wrote:
callen24 wrote:i would go for x300sigs , even non sig, rather than x200 sig.

Hi Callen, could you elaborate on why you would advise this route? I’m considering either x200 sigs or a Stereo 200 as my next upgrade, so keen to hear thoughts.

the x200 and 300 are substantially different from monox x.
The sig versions are just an update
the fact that the x200 is no longer for sale, but stereo 200, and x300sigs are might tell you something about difference
the stereo 200 makes a lot of sense for you
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

MiniCoupeman

Postby MiniCoupeman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:05 pm

I had X200’s. Very good but not a patch on my Nord. Two friends have recently demo’d (separately). Naim Atoms. Both brought them, one with KEF 50’s the other PMC 21’s. I had Naim 250 years ago so probably not what Naim sounds like now. Loved them with Isobariks. If there is a problem with Naim, for me, I would always want the next line up ( and rapidly run out of money). Sorry to say on this forum, as an ex Cyrus enthusiast, Cyrus have lost the plot. Hope they get their mojo back soon.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:44 am

MiniCoupeman wrote:I had X200’s. Very good but not a patch on my Nord.

My problem with Nords is that I can't demo them. The other power amps I heard made me realise that all power amps do not sound the same. The very good and expensive Bryston did not match my taste or my speakers IMHO. I just love the Cyrus sound and these demos have just confirmed that to me.

From topics on these forum and elsewhere Nords sound very good too and not too expensive either but don't sound the same as Cyrus Mono X series. Of course if I had PMC speakers and Chord DAC they might be great for me but I don't!

As for which model to go for :

Mono X200 might be not enough of an upgrade
Mono X200Sigs seem affordable
Mono X300 might be better but they are more expensive
Mono X300Sigs seem too expensive even s/h possibly because they are still the current model!