8Dac Qx questions

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
dan.s

8Dac Qx questions

Postby dan.s » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:06 pm

I've been tinkering with the idea of buying an integrated 8 Dac Qx. I'll be using it for AV duties in the bedroom. The dealer suggested the Stream Sig as complementary. However, here are my questions:

1. Would I be better served from a Chrome Audio or Sonos Connect? I have a full Naim system in the living room so the bedroom would only hear the occasionally iRadio or Spotify. OK, maybe some late night jazz/blues sessions every now and then from either Tidal or a USB stick filled with 24/192 material.

2. Does it make any sense to add a PSX-R or PSX-R2? The speakers are 4ohms, 88dB sensitive, a really benign load if you ask me, (Elac 244 BE) so this upgrade would be directed towards the pre-amp and dac sections. Still, is it worth it?

Thanks.
Last edited by dan.s on Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: 8Dac Qx questions

Postby callen24 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:18 am

i think it is a total wast to get a stream sig. chromecast seems find, connected by toslink.
And alternative to sonos is s/h bluesound node
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:52 pm

I would agree Chris, the Stream Sig is a serious bit of kit not complementary.

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 am

Your biggest problem is your Naim system in lounge ;)

I have just got a Chromecast Audio with a mini Toslink to Toslink cable so I can take advantage of my DAC and Spotify sounds not bad at all. Highly recommended and would work well with 8Dac QX. Only problem would be if you use Amazon music.
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

dan.s

Postby dan.s » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm

What about the PSX-R2?

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:13 pm

dan.s wrote:What about the PSX-R2?

i wouldn’t add one, not very good value.
if you insist on spending the money i’d suggest bi-amping will sound better, are your speakers biwireable?
or get a predacQx with an xpower.

for a second system cyrus 1 HD, with chromecast seems very good value ( are they still doing a 3 month trial of tidal)
https://www.richersounds.com/cyrus-one-hd.html

And as a previous owner of the 8xpdqx, who loved that amp, im saying this - the 8dac is an evolved version
the cyrus hd is much newer tech, better dac extra
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano

dan.s

Postby dan.s » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Ordered the kit, both boxes. Will add a psx-r/2 once I find a decently priced pre-loved one and some power cables heavy on the low end (neotech NEP-3001 III) to balance its lean sound. Happy camper.