Cyrus components failing

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
KelvinS
One+

Cyrus components failing

Postby KelvinS » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:02 pm

I’d really like some advice. I’ve put together a pretty high quality Cyrus system, but I’ve had nothing but hardware failure problems with it. I have a pair of Mono X 300 amps, DAC XP Signature, Stream XP Q2, and two PXS-r2. So far everything except the power supply and the streamer has failed in the last two years. Tonight the streamer failed. Every time it’s the minimum £300 standard service cost. I’m tempted to get rid, but the local Hi Fi shop just keeps telling me they’re very reliable and I’m just unlucky.

Any advice, thoughts anyone please?

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Cyrus components failing

Postby Joe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:48 pm

They’re not the most reliable of brands but you have been unlucky there.

Is there a factory reset procedure for the streamer you can try?

Do you leave the system on standby 24/7? Because that’s essential in my experience.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12.

madaboutlawns

Postby madaboutlawns » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Does leaving them on standby make any difference?
I leave mine on standby all the time.

I did have an almost brand new hi end system once that I left in a box for 6 years, when I plugged it all in every part of it failed within 2 months.
Must have been because it was left standing, may be dry joints? Or Capacitor problems?
Cyrus Dac xp Sig, Stram x2 Sig, PSX-r2
Cyrus phono Sig, Psx-r2
2x Mono 300x Sig
Michell Gyrodec, RB600 arm + Goldring 1042
Dali Opticon 8
Power Supply, 9 250w DC solar panels into bank of 10 batteries then inverter to A/C

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:35 am

At the height of the Cyrus CD SE player fiasco Cyrus told me that their target failure rate was 3%. I was informed that this was in line with industry norms. Whether they manage to meet that self-imposed target or not I have no way of knowing.
A well known & respected upgrader of audio products advised me that he didn't want to work on Cyrus products on the grounds that internal space is very tight but also because of the risk of his upgrades being blamed for what are brand reliability issues.
I think the £300 standard charge for repairs is excessive especially as many repairs will cost much less to implement.
I keep my system on standby 24/7 as I was advised that switching on/off imposes significant stress on components & can affect longevity.

Attonine

Postby Attonine » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:00 am

I accept that power cycling exposes electronic devises to high stress. What I will not accept, whether the device is consumer or professional grad, is power cycle stress as a (semi acceptable) cause for system failure. Devices will fail, of course. But these devices should be able to tolerate far far greater stress levels than we can throw at them, power cycling should not even be on the radar as an area of concern for a consumer.

The problem I always had problems with in regard to Cyrus, was the MC Bus. It was always going out of sync, so a power cycle was needed to get everything synchronised again. So the idea of leaving everything powered on and just using standby, fo me, caused more problems that convenience. It was easier just to power down when finished.
Auralic Aries; Chord Hugo TT; ATC SCM40A; Audeze LCD 2

Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Ianmac » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am

I totally agree with Attonine. The equipment should be designed to handle power cycle stress.
A 3% expected failure is rather a high figure in my book. What you have got to ask for when you buy gear is the MTBF figure that the manufacturer provides readily if he's making reliable equipment. The salesman will probably not know what you are talking about MTBF is mean time between failure so gives one an idea as to real world time. The MTBF graph of failure against time is a Bathtub shape with higher fails when new and at end of life.
I moved from Cyrus because of reliability and their refusal to give me any tech info on the out of production units I had.
One possible reason for reliability issues is heat. the shoebox was originally designed as a housing an amplifier with the case as a heatsink.It is a casting with little or no additional machining to improve airflow/ventilation. The earlier gear quite often had on board power regulators that were working close to their limits and did get rather hot. These often had small clip on heatsinks fitted to them and were prone to weakening and falling onto the component leads causing short circuits.
However, for whatever reason, we all know the shoebox was used to house everything cyrus made so CD players were shoehorned in, hot running DACs, higher powered amps (with inbuilt fans) etc went into the same box.
I thought when the new Cyrus one amp was introduced we were going to see a new box design that would have given the engineers more headroom for design improvement- both internally and externally!

If you use Cyrus boxes you will do yourself a favour if you increase the space between boxes to allow good airfow between them and get the "hot " boxes at the top of the rack.

I cant comment on other equipment manufacturers reliability but I have been very happy with the gear I have. All my DIY gear is, as a matter of course well ventilated ( being an engineer - probably over ventilated) where heat is likely to be an issue.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Benchmark DAC1.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:02 pm

gosh , so sorry to hear about all these failings . it is very upsetting and i can understand you wanting to bail out of cyrus

when i had cyrus i just sent back one smart power for repair . many other components i have had needed repair so not just cyrus

including 12k arc pre amp , 5 k modwright , 9k modwright , 1k audionote , 1k bel canto vbs1 , amongst a number of others
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
onkyo sacd , tannoy eaton legacy 2] schiit freya , firebottle hybrid monos , bc 3.5vbs, marantz sa8005 , reference fidelity impulse ta`us horns3] rotel , harbeth p3esr

angelface
Addicted
Addicted

Postby angelface » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm

My NAD CD player (sold to my daughter a few years ago) has packed up.

It is older than my daughter who got married in 2016!
CDXTSE2/PSX-R(Nordost Silver Line)BC DAC3.7/VBL(Atlas Navigator)MF Baby Mk2(Atlas Navigator)2xMonoX(Coherent 4D)WB Arc
HUMAX Freesat+/Sony BDPS280>AVMaster8 and SP+>Spendor C5e>> Monitor Audio RXW12 sub>>4xSpendor SR5

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:43 pm

My standby recommendation was with the DAC-XP Sig in mind. That thing gets warm just on standby, and there's a lot crammed into a little box with no ventilation. Better to keep it at constant temperature in my opinion. IIRC, the manual concurs.

At least Cyrus offer a 5 year warranty now.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Sig products used to qualify for a 5 year warranty but this was discontinued & they now only qualify for 3 years. In the context of this thread I wonder whether the 5 year warranty was proving unsustainable on cost grounds.
What does IIRC mean?

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Lancashirelad wrote:Sig products used to qualify for a 5 year warranty but this was discontinued & they now only qualify for 3 years. In the context of this thread I wonder whether the 5 year warranty was proving unsustainable on cost grounds.
What does IIRC mean?

If I Remember Correctly.

That 5 year warranty offer didn't last long did it. Says a lot.

mickbald
Addicted
Addicted

Postby mickbald » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:59 pm

I agree with Attonine's comment about the MC bus. It always goes out of sync if I power everything down for a week of so. I keep everything on standby all the time now.

Fault wise, I have had the mandatory CD drive problems. Always upgraded rather than fixed as the CD fixes only seemed to extend the problem according to many posts I've read.

The only other fault I have had is with the XP Sig which was fixed with a factory reset 3 times since I've had it.

So no complaints about reliability from me for over 20 years.

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:26 pm

generally it seems that power amp problems are rare
did you buy the amps brand new?
One of the benefits of buying s/h on CU is you are likely to get kit that has been looked after.
otherwise you never know how ventilated, or how carefully kit has been treated.

i know kit does not like being moved around
i owned Q power, 2 smartpower, 2 mono x, 2 x300, no problems with any. All bought s/h except monox, they were badly scratched ex demo
cyrus stream X2, CDi, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, mfa Baby classicV2, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega P3-24, psu, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano

pmc7009

Postby pmc7009 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:47 pm

I've had cyrus kit since buying the Mission Cyrus two in the 80's. Still got 8 boxes, some new some s/h and have never had any problems. Either you're really unlucky or I'm very lucky!