Class D amps move up a level

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Class D amps move up a level

Postby Ianmac » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:21 pm

Bruno has improved his N Core with the introduction of the Purifi 1et 400a Amplifier. Not sure how it will be sold and whether we will be able to buy the modules for DIY.
https://www.purifi-audio.com/about

Nord seem to have a few modules

measures extremely well.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/foru ... fier.7984/
Anyone looking for an audiophile amp should keep an eye on this.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Class D amps move up a level

Postby callen24 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:42 pm

cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

RichardTurpin
Five+

Postby RichardTurpin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:42 pm

I am thinking of trying class D, but lack information. Nobody seems to have reviewed the Cyrus Stereo 200 (why?). Nord look tempting except that they strike me as producing far too many options for a small company and I don’t need a lot of power with my Focals. If you have ATC or PMC you might need a load of watts, but, with Focals I don’t.

Otherwise, it is bewildering as the ‘best’ class D are £8000 or more, either for stereo or a mono pair, but, are they really better than their cheaper cousins?

Has anyone compared different class D? Or compared Stereo 200 with Mono X (or x200, or X300 Sig.)?

Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Ianmac » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:08 pm

I moved from MonoX to classD many years ago to Hypex UcD, the first range they produced. The Hypex outperformed my mono X and quite a few on the forum moved to them. I switched to Hypex N Core shortly after they were introduced and they were a clear improvement on the UcD. I have 3 sets of Ncores in use .
Hypex are one of the main suppliers of ClassD product to other manufactures (OEM), Some big names in Hi Fi use their modules.
Nord need not be a large company as their heavy design work is done by Hypex.

The designer of the Ucd and NCore and the improved Purifi is certainly one of the Class D experts.

I cannot comment on the Cyrus class D product as I havent owned one nor have I read any in depth technical information so its over to others to comment.
Audio science review have measured / tested a Nord Amplifier using Hypex power supply and Ncore500.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

RichardTurpin
Five+

Postby RichardTurpin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 pm

Thanks Ian, there is very little public info on the Stereo 200 guts. The lack of mainstream reviews is making me suspicious though. Is it ‘too good’ for the magazines, who, I am guessing, know upon which side their bread is buttered...

I have big valve amps at present, which sound great, but which chuck out a lot of heat in a flat and take up a lot of room. If I could be sure of getting a sound close I would go class D for environmental reasons etc. I don’t need much more power though. My lovely Focals have a sensitivity of 93 dB and have presence at a whisper (I have Focal Electra Be II and if I had a bigger room and a bigger budget I would still buy Focals; love them). So, I look at class D and think, I don’t want 400 w a side. If I had ATC or PMC or some American speakers, I might.

In have been looking at a S/H MBL Corona C51, but ask myself whether it has been superseded by later class D at ¼ the price.

Are Cyrus soon going to bring out Class D signature mono blocks? One suspects so.

As a reward for reading that lot, this will make you laugh, hopefully. I use internet radio now, having no FM signal here. DAB (ugh) in other rooms. So, I thought why not propagate internet radio to wireless speakers in other rooms? Bought all the kit, only to find that my Cyrus Stream X2 Sig. has only one digital output and my very fine DAC has no digital throughput. I didn’t check before buying. Just assumed.

DAC by the way is. Schiit Yggrasil. No other Hifi DAC like in terms of technology and sounds like analogue. Brilliant piece of kit.

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:37 pm

Going from valves to class D (especially with Focal) will give you a very different sound. Try before you buy.
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.

SAP7

Postby SAP7 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 pm

I compared a Cyrus 200 to a mono X

The stereo 200 flattered to deceive. Lots of power and punch but no musicality. No comparison.
You hear it immediately. Class D has slam but it fatigues badly.
I’ve not heard hypex so can’t comment but in Cyrus terms it’s night and day.
CD XT sig / Aurender N100h  (Synology NAS) >  Chord Hugo TT > Perreaux 255i > Boenicke W8
Technics SP10 and SME 3012r
Grado GS1000e / 325e
Real name = Steve

RichardTurpin
Five+

Postby RichardTurpin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks for the warning, but aye there is the rub. It is difficult to try stuff, either because of my location (West Country), or because companies like Nord are to small to offer demos. Focals with Be tweeters will however show up any deficiency at high frequency end, I agree.

I heard a new piece of kit in a dealer’s listening room two weeks ago. Moor Audio. Only make power amps. New company, no website yet. Amp the size of a cowshed with fins. Not class D then, but, blimey, it was good. No information available yet, except that dealer was using it to demo other kit instead of their usual big Naim amp. No idea what was inside and they didn’t seem to know, not valves, but as good at top end, and better in terms if not better of imaging and dynamics. I didn’t ask the price as it looked way out of my range.

RichardTurpin
Five+

Postby RichardTurpin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:20 pm

There are several companies claiming class A sound from class D now, as you know. Maybe Nord should do what Schiit UK do, charge a 5% handling fee for kit returned within a trial period. I would rather pay to listen at home for two weeks, rather than get it wrong. Listening in dealer’s demo rooms is not the same.

Lancashirelad

Postby Lancashirelad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:44 am

Alan Sircom reviewed the Stereo 200 in Hi-Fi+ (Oct 16 2015) concluding that "... it sounds damn good. Highly recommended".
I owned a Stereo 200 for 2 years & have recently upgraded to Mono X 300 Sigs. The Sigs are more musical & the bass is heavier & v tight but on the basis of RRP the 200 at 30% of the cost of a pair of Sigs is stonking vfm. It is hardly a fair comparison.
(FWIW I'm using RCA ICs with the Sigs in preference to XLR option. Cables are identical apart from termination, I will swap again at some point to confirm preference...).

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:59 am

i understand your wish to hear something different, but if you like the sound already then why not stay with it?
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:36 pm

I've heard a variety of amps over the years and have had two Class D amps of my own, the Anthem Statement M1 and my current amp, the Primare A60. I can't say I'm a great believer in "Class D" sounds this way, "Class A" sounds that way, "Class A/B" that way, Valves yet another way, etc. Those are sweeping generalities, each amp needs to be judged on its own merits. Its enough to say that there are many very high end Class D amps out there, and as Ianmac has already mentioned, many of those are based on Hypex modules.

As for "the best class D are £8000 or more", you can say the best valve amps are £8000 or more and the best class A amps are £8000 or more too, so I'm not sure what relevance that has. You can get very modestly priced class A, A/B or D if you care to shop around. My best advice is to find a local retailer or two and get some demos of amps in the size and price you're after.

Jobseeker on this forum is currently selling a very highly regarded Gato amp, its class D and has quite a few reviews in the press I believe - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31913.

Getting back to the OP, thank you Ian. I had no idea Bruno had jumped ship (again!) and set up another company. That must surely harm NCore's future product development. It will be interesting to see if the high-end companies follow Bruno and start using his Purifi boards in preference to Hypex.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:52 pm

RichardLowe wrote:I've heard a variety of amps over the years and have had two Class D amps of my own, the Anthem Statement M1 and my current amp, the Primare A60. I can't say I'm a great believer in "Class D" sounds this way, "Class A" sounds that way, "Class A/B" that way, Valves yet another way, etc. Those are sweeping generalities, each amp needs to be judged on its own merits. Its enough to say that there are many very high end Class D amps out there, and as Ianmac has already mentioned, many of those are based on Hypex modules.

As for "the best class D are £8000 or more", you can say the best valve amps are £8000 or more and the best class A amps are £8000 or more too, so I'm not sure what relevance that has. You can get very modestly priced class A, A/B or D if you care to shop around. My best advice is to find a local retailer or two and get some demos of amps in the size and price you're after.

Jobseeker on this forum is currently selling a very highly regarded Gato amp, its class D and has quite a few reviews in the press I believe - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=31913.

Getting back to the OP, thank you Ian. I had no idea Bruno had jumped ship (again!) and set up another company. That must surely harm NCore's future product development. It will be interesting to see if the high-end companies follow Bruno and start using his Purifi boards in preference to Hypex.

Very sensible post, it’s the combinations, that bring it all together, speakers etc...
I think this is why one make, or one box have an appeal because there is less work in getting it right - speaker, room, amp.
From reading posts on here i have come to assume that the room is an under appreciated factor. With the amount we are talking about I really want to hear it in the room, before buying
I moved just over 4 years ago. The room size and shape was roughly similar. The hifi the same, but wall construction etc made it sound like different a system .
This is still an advantage with cyrus, if your speakers sound a good balance with mono x you don’t have to worry that they will sound wrong with x300.

hifinutt
Addicted
Addicted

Postby hifinutt » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Many years ago I really wanted to demo some focal diablo utopias . Focal would not allow me to do so as i had class d ref 1000 and they did not think they would sound their best. Things have moved on now so hopefully they would allow
1]bc pre 3 vbs
msb s200 power amp
/vbs1 FM1 tuner
rotel cd /teac ud-ho1 , tannoy eaton legacy 2] arcam a75 , jolida modwright dac marantz sa8005 RFC impulse ta`us horns

Joe
Addicted
Addicted

Postby Joe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:20 pm

hifinutt wrote:Many years ago I really wanted to demo some focal diablo utopias . Focal would not allow me to do so as i had class d ref 1000 and they did not think they would sound their best. Things have moved on now so hopefully they would allow

Wow. Nothing like having confidence in your product, eh. ???
Michell Gyro Dec, SME IV, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Project Phono Box RS + Power Box.
Aurender N100H, Chord Hugo TT.
Luxman L-590AX II, PMC Fact 12 Signature.