Class D amps move up a level

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Re: Class D amps move up a level

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:23 pm

hifinutt wrote:Many years ago I really wanted to demo some focal diablo utopias . Focal would not allow me to do so as i had class d ref 1000 and they did not think they would sound their best. Things have moved on now so hopefully they would allow

That's an utterly ridiculous stand for them to take IMHO. I imagine they wouldn't have objected if you had the cheapest Naim integrated instead... Or am I being cynical?
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

julianh
Addicted
Addicted

Postby julianh » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:12 pm

As someone who has Focal 1008be speakers fed by a pair of Ncore NC400 power amps, I struggle to recognise the sound quality that this combination is supposed to yield. To my aged ears they sound fine, but I guess I might have lost the ability to hear the higher frequencies.
Sources: Cyrus CDXT Signature, Cyrus Stream X Signature, Linn Sondek LP12 (Basik Plus, AT440MLa, Khan, Lingo 2, Trichord Dino Mk3 & Dino+)
DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit
Pre: Stevens & Billington Baby Classic
Power: Hypex nCore NC400
Speakers: Focal 1008Be + BK XLS200
Cables etc: ML Cryo Ref, Kimber 8TC, IanMac filters, Black Ravioli Pads, VPI 16.5

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:14 pm

julianh wrote:As someone who has Focal 1008be speakers fed by a pair of Ncore NC400 power amps, I struggle to recognise the sound quality that this combination is supposed to yield. To my aged ears they sound fine, but I guess I might have lost the ability to hear the higher frequencies.

Have you tried listening to a lesser system to compare with what you have yourself? If you don't notice any difference between the two systems, then you may have a point, but I find it hard to believe you won't notice a significant change.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se