Second Hand Turntable Advice

regarding Cyrus products and other hifi related threads
RichardLowe

Second Hand Turntable Advice

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 pm

One of my neighbours has some vintage kit - an old Roksan Kandy amp, and ProAc bookshelf speakers when they were still called Celef. He wants to get his old vinyl collection back in action but he doesn't have much money to spend. I suggested second hand but I have no experience of TT's since about 1990!

His maximum budget is in the "few hundred pounds" region, I suspect £200 - £400 in reality. Are there some good sites/stores/dealers to look out for TT's and what is a good player these days?
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

Ianmac
Addicted
Addicted

Re: Second Hand Turntable Advice

Postby Ianmac » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

From a recent post on the forum
A site worth keeping note off.

From the distributor's own eBay shop, this discontinued Pro-ject 1 Expression reduced from £599 to £299. More than 10 available!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254299468330

Has the Kandy a phono input ? otherwise budget needed for a Phono Pre.
Id think about an old Technics 1200, they are now reasonably priced S/H since the new models were introduced by technics. remember if buying S/H one may have to buy a new cartridge.
If a complete up and running brand new TT is required the site above offers some good deals and Im sure someone will will give you good advice on the project range.
Sytem 1.
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :BelCanto CD-2: Technics 1200 (Ianmac Bearing + Ianmac PSU+Ianmac arm): DACT-Ianmac phono pre >Benchmark DAC2 HGC>2*Ianmac-Hypex NCore monos> ATCSCM40 : Ianmac filters
System 2
Engineered SA-NMR Renderer (Ianmac PSU) :Topping D50 DAC.Sony CDP D11 pro: 2*-Hypex Ncore monos: Kef ref1-2.
IMF's

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:24 pm

you. could have had my rega a few weeks back :)

the brand new audio technica LP3 or LP5

but the rega P1 or p2 are excellent., if money allows they will take a better cart later

but my advice might seem odd, if he has lots of vinyl i would say cleaning them should be a high priority

https://theaudiophileman.com/planar-1/
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes

RichardLowe

Postby RichardLowe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Ian, Chris, thank you for the suggestions. I'm not sure about a phono input on the Roksan, I'll need to ask him. Just as well you pointed that out Ian, I wouldn't necessarily have thought about that.

Vinyl cleaning may well be needed with an old collection, but he doesn't have a TT of any kind at the moment so that's his priority.
[(NAS > LAN network) + (oppo 203 > ml binary star i/c) + (RoonCore on Intel NUC > LAN network)] > primare pre60 > tellurium q black xlr > primare a60 > tellurium q black 2.0 > boenicke w13 se

callen24
Addicted
Addicted

Postby callen24 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:45 pm

RichardLowe wrote:Ian, Chris, thank you for the suggestions. I'm not sure about a phono input on the Roksan, I'll need to ask him. Just as well you pointed that out Ian, I wouldn't necessarily have thought about that.

Vinyl cleaning may well be needed with an old collection, but he doesn't have a TT of any kind at the moment so that's his priority.

i had a project turntable with an inbuilt phono stage, a good piece of kit.
Though out of budget the AT LP5 has an inbuilt phono stage.

In a broad generalisation I will say the basic brand new rega and project decks have a lot going for them because features from expensive older versions have trickled down. ie the P1 now has a 24 v motor
cyrus stream X2, Oppo HA-1SE, IMFs, NORD OneUP, VA Beethoven Baby Grand
ML binarystar digital, DenchXLR, RFCneptune RCA, VanDamme OFC spk cable. AG 500 ac regenerator and Townsend Seismic sink stand, sonority roller platform
rega RP6, AT95e/paratrace, Clearaudio nano, sub-platter upgrade
Former owner of 20 Cyrus boxes